Stourbridge Football Club-Unofficial Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Stourbridge Football Club-Unofficial Forum

The latest views on the Glassboys

You are not connected. Please login or register

FAO Everyone...

+19
rasam
Brian Handy
redpike
flexcavana
samhistory
brockmoor
oldhillglassboy
stoursi
UlsterJim
Tricky Tree
dave w
Aled
glassboypaul
Baggiestour
Jane.N
Devil's Advocate
Nath
Jack
TRM
23 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 9]

1FAO Everyone... Empty FAO Everyone... Sun Nov 30 2014, 20:50

TRM

http://www.stourbridgefc.com/news/open-discussion-evening-150-club-draw-this-thursday-1339361.html

2FAO Everyone... Empty Re: FAO Everyone... Sun Nov 30 2014, 20:53

Jack

Jack
Admin

Was about to put this up. I know some can't get there, however if you have issues, which a lot of you do have. NOW is the time to actually say something, not just on here. Theyre giving you the opportunity, take it.

https://glassboys.forumotion.com

3FAO Everyone... Empty Re: FAO Everyone... Sun Nov 30 2014, 21:06

Nath

Jack wrote:Was about to put this up. I know some can't get there, however if you have issues, which a lot of you do have. NOW is the time to actually say something, not just on here. Theyre giving you the opportunity, take it.

Mmmm.......maybe the powers that be are starting to take notice of what gets mentioned on here. At the end of the day, we are all Stourbridge fans, we all just want the best for the club. The forum is a place to be able to give an opinion and we all should continue to do just that. The world would be a boring place if everyone thought the same and had the same opinions. A good debate is perfectly healthy and should be encouraged. Is it going to be a formal questions and answer session with Andy P and Gary chairing it? If a discussion evening has been planned,that would certainly be the better way to work it.

4FAO Everyone... Empty Re: FAO Everyone... Sun Nov 30 2014, 22:46

Devil's Advocate

Nath wrote:
Jack wrote:Was about to put this up. I know some can't get there, however if you have issues, which a lot of you do have. NOW is the time to actually say something, not just on here. Theyre giving you the opportunity, take it.

Mmmm.......maybe the powers that be are starting to take notice of what gets mentioned on here. At the end of the day, we are all Stourbridge fans, we all just want the best for the club. The forum is a place to be able to give an opinion and we all should continue to do just that. The world would be a boring place if everyone thought the same and had the same opinions. A good debate is perfectly healthy and should be encouraged. Is it going to be a formal questions and answer session with Andy P and Gary chairing it? If a discussion evening has been planned,that would certainly be the better way to work it.

So why does it say that questions have to be in by Wednesday evening then,are they being vetted?

This is not a bad idea as long as it's Andy P and Gary sat at the front of the room answering the questions and nobody else.

If the club are serious about having a serious and proper discussion then they have to be prepared for people to come along and have a really good say and not to just roll their eyes at the questions and get defensive with their replies just because someone has had the audacity to ask something that irritates them due to all the effort they've put in down their years at the club.

I have a very simple question,the reply to which should only take six numbers arranged in a particular order starting with a 1,

How much money is in the club coffers?

5FAO Everyone... Empty Re: FAO Everyone... Sun Nov 30 2014, 22:55

Nath

Devil's Advocate wrote:
Nath wrote:

So why does it say that questions have to be in by Wednesday evening then,are they being vetted?

This is not a bad idea as long as it's Andy P and Gary sat at the front of the room answering the questions and nobody else.

If the club are serious about having a serious and proper discussion then they have to be prepared for people to come along and have a really good say and not to just roll their eyes at the questions and get defensive with their replies just because someone has had the audacity to ask something that irritates them due to all the effort they've put in down their years at the club.

I have a very simple question,the reply to which should only take six numbers arranged in a particular order starting with a 1,

Yes, there is no point at all in a discussion session if questions have to be sent in and vetted prior to the night and people can't just turn up on the night to ask their questions. Bloody hell, if that is seriously the case then this strikes of something straight out of North Korea! Shocked

6FAO Everyone... Empty Re: FAO Everyone... Sun Nov 30 2014, 23:10

Devil's Advocate

Nath wrote:
Devil's Advocate wrote:
Nath wrote:

Yes, there is no point at all in a discussion session if questions have to be sent in and vetted prior to the night and people can't just turn up on the night to ask their questions. Bloody hell, if that is seriously the case  then this strikes of something straight out of North Korea! Shocked

Lol,that makes Andy P Kim Jong-Un then Laughing

7FAO Everyone... Empty Re: FAO Everyone... Sun Nov 30 2014, 23:13

Nath

Devil's Advocate wrote:
Nath wrote:
Devil's Advocate wrote:
Nath wrote:

Yes, there is no point at all in a discussion session if questions have to be sent in and vetted prior to the night and people can't just turn up on the night to ask their questions. Bloody hell, if that is seriously the case  then this strikes of something straight out of North Korea! Shocked

All the players will turn up on Saturday with the same haircuts!

8FAO Everyone... Empty Re: FAO Everyone... Sun Nov 30 2014, 23:16

Devil's Advocate

Nath wrote:
Devil's Advocate wrote:
Nath wrote:
Devil's Advocate wrote:
Nath wrote:

All the players will turn up on Saturday with the same haircuts!

What,everyone with the same hairdo as Andy?

I'd love to see that,all the poseurs like Fitz and Drew would ask for a transfer on the spot Laughing

9FAO Everyone... Empty Re: FAO Everyone... Sun Nov 30 2014, 23:18

Jane.N

I think it's good that the club are even willing to have a fans question session - they don't have to.

A few threads topics seem to be a bit overlapped so forgive me if some comments are on here also.

A bit like Nathan I too preferred the club a few years back - I would list my 'real stour ' players differently and go back to bastable, Morgan, nicho, Jonah st al. It also bothers me that many of the committee involved then are either not involved now or even here anymore. It's sad and it doesn't feel the same. That said I think some of the comments about current players and their attitudes a bit harsh. And fans that have voiced their affection for the Midland alliance / southern Midland league have been accused of lacking ambition by fans on here!

I do also feel that some on here have personal agendas and gripes and use our dip in form as a great excuse to have a pop at the management. I don't want to name names but seeing as he tends to get the most stick at times I do NOT think DA is one of those people.

Some comments are cheap shots and remind me of the school playground.
That's not to say you shouldn't voice dissatisfaction - of course you should but some comments make me cringe.

The whole Sean geddes issue is now tiresome in the extreme. I was gutted when he left, he was a great player and a big loss. But generally he played really well so how did the management not get him to play well?? Maybe he is doing better as he is playing alongside better players. Again it's just personal gripes being used to belittle the management.

It is sad seeing us wobbling but there is still time to make something of the seasonand while some tthings irritate me a lot, I think some comments are not always helpful.

Sits back and waits to be shot......... ;-)

10FAO Everyone... Empty Re: FAO Everyone... Sun Nov 30 2014, 23:24

Devil's Advocate

Jane.N wrote:I think it's good that the club are even willing to have a fans question session - they don't have to.

A few threads topics seem to be a bit overlapped so forgive me if some comments are on here also.

A bit like Nathan I too preferred the club a few years back - I would list my 'real stour ' players differently and go back to bastable, Morgan, nicho, Jonah st al. It also bothers me that many of the committee involved then are either not involved now or even here anymore. It's sad and it doesn't feel the same. That said I think some of the comments about current players and their attitudes a bit harsh. And fans that have voiced their affection for the Midland alliance / southern Midland league have been accused of lacking ambition by fans on here!

I do also feel that some on here have personal agendas and gripes and use our dip in form as a great excuse to have a pop at the management. I don't want to name names but seeing as he tends to get the most stick at times I do NOT think DA is one of those people.

That's not to say you shouldn't voice dissatisfaction - of course you should but some comments make me cringe.

The whole Sean geddes issue is now tiresome in the extreme. I was gutted when he left, he was a great player and a big loss. But generally he played really well so how did the management not get him to play well?? Maybe he is doing better as he is playing alongside better players. Again it's just personal gripes being used to belittle the management.

It is sad seeing us wobbling but there is still time to make something of the seasonand while some tthings irritate me a lot, I think some comments are not always helpful.

Good points well made Jane but the Geddes situation was always going to be a potential "running sore" especially if he flourished at Worcester which he has.

However you cut it £1000 for a player of his ability who was under contract is an absolute joke.

11FAO Everyone... Empty Re: FAO Everyone... Sun Nov 30 2014, 23:27

Nath

Jane.N wrote:I think it's good that the club are even willing to have a fans question session - they don't have to.

Yes, the player's mentioned by Jane, Adam Bastable,Morgan Brookes, Tim Nicholls, Mark Jones, etc, all great lads,great characters and all from Stourbridge! I saw Bastable at Cheltenham races two weeks ago and had good chat with him. Top bloke. When mentioning the Midland Alliance days, I suppose I'm not wishing to necessarily be at that level again, I just liked the feel of the club in those days. It was more what a local non league club should be like.

12FAO Everyone... Empty Re: FAO Everyone... Sun Nov 30 2014, 23:31

TRM

Questions DO NOT have to be submitted in advance. That is for the benefit of people who cannot make it on Thursday but are still keen to have their say. I worded it badly and will amend in the morning.

Turn up and ask whatever you want.

13FAO Everyone... Empty Re: FAO Everyone... Sun Nov 30 2014, 23:33

Devil's Advocate

TRM wrote:Questions DO NOT have to be submitted in advance. That is for the benefit of people who cannot make it on Thursday but are still keen to have their say. I worded it badly and will amend in the morning.

Turn up and ask whatever you want.

How much is in the coffers Rich?

14FAO Everyone... Empty Re: FAO Everyone... Sun Nov 30 2014, 23:34

Jane.N

100% agree with that post Nathan, it did have a nice feel back then. Taking down the hand written cardboard sign saying match postponed was the start of the slippery slope!! :-) ;-).

Thing is no one forces anyone to come so if people don't like it then.............! Razz

15FAO Everyone... Empty Re: FAO Everyone... Sun Nov 30 2014, 23:36

Jane.N

100% agree with that post Nathan, it did have a nice feel back then. Taking down the hand written cardboard sign saying match postponed was the start of the slippery slope!! :-) ;-).

Thing is no one forces anyone to come so if people don't like it then.............! Razz

16FAO Everyone... Empty Re: FAO Everyone... Sun Nov 30 2014, 23:40

Nath

Jane.N wrote:100% agree with that post Nathan, it did have a nice feel back then. Taking down the hand written cardboard sign saying match postponed was the start of the slippery slope!! :-) ;-).

Exactly, little things like that made the place feel homely, lovely feel to the club back then. Less commercially motivated, just Stourbridge lads earning not very much playing for the love of the game and pride in their home town team. I'm getting all emotional now Jane. Crying or Very sad

17FAO Everyone... Empty Re: FAO Everyone... Sun Nov 30 2014, 23:42

Devil's Advocate

Nath wrote:
Jane.N wrote:100% agree with that post Nathan, it did have a nice feel back then. Taking down the hand written cardboard sign saying match postponed was the start of the slippery slope!! :-) ;-).

Exactly, little things like that made the place feel homely, lovely feel to the club back then. Less commercially motivated, just Stourbridge lads earning not very much playing for the love of the game and pride in their home town team. I'm getting all emotional now Jane. Crying or Very sad

Moist around the eyes Nath?

That's a directional change of around three feet for you compared to normal Shocked Laughing

18FAO Everyone... Empty Re: FAO Everyone... Sun Nov 30 2014, 23:51

Nath

Devil's Advocate wrote:
Nath wrote:

Moist around the eyes Nath?

That's a directional change of around three feet for you compared to normal Shocked Laughing

I know Devil. I've even given the porn a miss tonight to come on here.Cool

19FAO Everyone... Empty Re: FAO Everyone... Sun Nov 30 2014, 23:58

Jane.N

Devil's Advocate wrote:

Good points well made Jane but the Geddes situation was always going to be a potential "running sore" especially if he flourished at Worcester which he has.

However you cut it £1000 for a player of his ability who was under contract is an
.absolute joke.

Yes it is absolutely, but that point has now been made time and time again. I am sure that whoever did the deal will be kicking themselves and regret being so wrong in the choices we made.

We don't know the full story. Seans side will say one thing, the officials another and probably somewhere in the middle is the truth! Sean also could have come on here and ripped into the club. Maybe it's to his credit that he hasn't, or maybe there is no real reason to?

It was sad, it was careless in the extreme but it's happened. We need to move on and the constant snidey comments are not helpful. Some posts are so transparent it's embarrassing.

20FAO Everyone... Empty Re: FAO Everyone... Mon Dec 01 2014, 00:19

Devil's Advocate

Jane.N wrote:
Devil's Advocate wrote:

However you cut it £1000 for a player of his ability who was under contract is an
.absolute joke.

Yes it is absolutely, but that point has now been made time and time again. I am sure that whoever did the deal will be kicking themselves and regret being so wrong in the choices we made.

We don't know the full story. Seans side will say one thing, the officials another and probably somewhere in the middle is the truth! Sean also could have come on here and ripped into the club. Maybe it's to his credit that he hasn't, or maybe there is no real reason to?

It was sad, it was careless in the extreme but it's happened. We need to move on and the constant snidey comments are not helpful. Some posts are so transparent it's embarrassing.

Are they?

I'm not sure that's a fair comment,i think everyone is allowed an opinion as long as nasty and personal things are not being said.

At a small club the fan's have a very close connection,the sort of connection Nathan had ( and now misses ),it's very dangerous for any club to start alienating this type of support.

I've been coming to Amblecote for 40 years,with the greatest of respect i don't remember any of the people now at the helm being on the terraces with me,TRM,The Beast,Simon and a good few others in the 70's,80's,90's and 2000's up until around the Walsall match.

Maybe one or two were and i never noticed them but it isn't easy to miss people in crowds of 120-150.

My view is that the fan's should have at least one representative on the club board and this should be voted for by a vibrant and vocal official supporters club.

Is this really too much to ask?

21FAO Everyone... Empty Re: FAO Everyone... Mon Dec 01 2014, 07:20

Baggiestour

Totally agree devil,
On a smaller scale I see the same apathy between club and fans as we get down the Albion.
Ie , club not talking to fans , letting them know what's going on. Buying poor players and a manager that is out of his depth

22FAO Everyone... Empty Re: FAO Everyone... Mon Dec 01 2014, 07:35

Baggiestour

Oh, forgot to say, the only difference is Jeremy peace gets top dollar for their players.

23FAO Everyone... Empty Re: FAO Everyone... Mon Dec 01 2014, 08:20

Jane.N

DA - of course everyone is entitled to an opinion - both through thought and voice. What I meant by posts being transparent is that there are some posters who have a personal issue with a member of the board and post their digs at them on here under the guise of being upset, angry, bothered (etc) about their club. The transparency is that it's obvious that they just want to stir it and make their point. It almost feels like they are glad things are not going well. That is why I stated that I didn't believe you were in that group as you are the first to post positively after a good performance.
Just my opinion on what I read........ Wink

24FAO Everyone... Empty Re: FAO Everyone... Mon Dec 01 2014, 09:34

glassboypaul

There are a few people on here who will only ever post after a defeat and use it as a way of criticising the management, that is a fact. It's pretty clear though who those people are - as Jane N said it is very transparent and hopefully the club recognises the genuine concerns and criticisms of the genuine posters and ignores those who are clearly here for a wind up and with their own agendas.

It doesn't change the fact that all other posters are behind the club 100%, want to see us do well and more importantly are entitled to their opinion, so long may that continue, and if they do post a critical comment, it is usually warranted!

I see where the club is coming from to a certain extent - they say no-one goes to the 150 club thing to air their views so to them it seems like people hiding behind a keyboard and criticising the club.

However I think on several occasions the communication from the club has been severely lacking. One only has to look back to the promotion situation when we finished 2nd in the league and lost to Gosport - questions were still being asked about whether we could have been promoted at that September's AGM. That is a ridiculous situation in my view - months after we lost to Gosport, a majority of people didn't know if we could have been promoted or not. And this is people who text each other about Stour, use social media, use the forum etc. so this is not people who are clueless about what is going on generally.

Another one was the Paul McCone situation. To most people it looked like he had ditched us after 2/3 games and gone to Hednesford. Now they say he was always off to Hednesford and had already been approached - so it was just a favour to us. If so, why was this only said when he was re-signed about a year later?

I won't go over the Geddes situation again as I think it's high time we moved on (although not having a sell on clause is just ridiculous) but again this is an area the club could communicate better with.

The point is, it would be better to announce these sort of things officially, and not just to a handful of people who go to the 150 club draw. For people who work in the week and have partners/kids, it is not easy to come down on another night a week.

I agree with DA that we could do with a supporters club, but I'm not sure what function(s) it would perform now given that the club is now fairly organised with regards to regular coach travel, man of the match, raffle and so on. I don't know if the Nathan that held a meeting a few years ago is the same as the Nath on this forum, but I did feel at the time that some people at the meeting poured cold water on his ideas, going on about constitutions and all that other committee 'politics'. The problem is people are resistant to change. However the club is much better now at organising the sort of things that were being discussed, so I'm not sure if there is still a need now.

The problem is that we know that we are a slightly cliquey club when it comes to the off and on field management. This is no problem in good times when everything is rosey, but when we hit a bad patch, have a few injuries etc. it is very difficult to then regroup as players previously on the peripheries are downhearted, and new players find it hard to acclimatise here.

I will say though that obviously losing Ben was a massive blow and no supporter should expect a continuation of good form after losing such a key player so suddenly.

What did happen to Nathan, Nick Clarke, Beast, Simon, Alex, Bernard, Martin, Mike from the Mitre and Cradley Bloke and all the lot who used to be in the Shed End out of interest? Quite a few of them used to sponsor the club quite substantially in some cases I believe? Bernard & Martin used to sponsor every other game in the MFA days? Have they moved on to other things?

25FAO Everyone... Empty Re: FAO Everyone... Mon Dec 01 2014, 11:04

Nath

I am indeed the very same Nathan that organised the meeting at the club a few years ago with the aim of setting forming a fully functioning supporters club and at the same time hosted a Q & A session with Gary. The meeting was well attended, everybody from a supporters perspective very keen on my ideas and suggestions. As Glassboypaul mentioned, there were certain prominent officials from the club who were quick to pour cold water on everything due to needing constitutional reform,and such like. This was a load of nonsense as the club does still have an open Supporters Club account and constitution in place, all it needs is for it to be fully functional, membership subscriptions to be met again,etc. I know all proceeds that I used to take on the raffle and football card went into the supporters club funds. The whole point of a Supporters Club is that it can be run as a separate entity from the Football Club, monies generated for example being held in the separate Supporters Club account and donated to the club in a way where Supporters Club members see fit. This could obviously be put the vote amongst members and fully democratic.
When Nick Pratt was club secretary,he did in fact about 5 years ago approach me with the proposal of me joining the committee as a supporters representative. Ian Pilkington was Chairman at the time. I obviously said I would be very interested. Unfortunately this all came about towards the end of Nick Pratt's time as Secretary and the change in the committee set up. Nothing else was ever mentioned again under the new committee.
As Devil mentioned in a previous post and Baggiestour has mentioned, I think it's important for a small club like Stourbridge to be proactive and open with the supporters and potential supporters. As Glassboypaul mentioned, all those people who used to follow Stour everywhere have all been made to feel alienated by the club or completely disillusioned with the way the club is now. When the novelty of all the recent cup runs has worn off and the new support has drifted away, which it will, the club will suddenly realise that they are very much reliant on the hard core of the 150 or so of us that used to be there. Those people were as much as part of the fixtures and fittings as anything at the club.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 9]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum