Stourbridge Football Club-Unofficial Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Stourbridge Football Club-Unofficial Forum

The latest views on the Glassboys

You are not connected. Please login or register

North or South for 2014-2015 season?

+15
Jane.N
Tricky Tree
rasam
brockmoor
NickSFCB
UlsterJim
baz
oldhillglassboy
TRM
Jack
PhilC
stoursi
Dave the Glassboy
stour_boy
Devil's Advocate
19 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 5]

TRM

Here's a slightly different idea nicked from the Kempster Forum.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?msid=214147040838994119668.0004f8a97ef6761b8ba56&msa=0&ll=51.818803,-1.999512&spn=2.655507,7.67395&dg=feature

These things always seem easier to explain on a map than with just a list of clubs. This one's basically the same as my list as far as the NPL is concerned, but with Redditch replacing Stamford. I actually think it works quite well and the map illustrates that apart from the three clubs in the frozen northern wastelands (Blyth, Whitby and Workington) the traveloing isn't that bad - no worse than the SL (in my opinion).

It means big changes for the SL and Isthiman Leagues though. It makes the SL a bit more "compact" with a lot of the A1 (ish) teams - Corby, Cambridge, St Neots, Biggleswade, Arlesey, Hitchin moving to the IL, along with Kings Lynn and Stamford. Frankly, it's about time the IL played a proper part in the pyramid instead of keeping its cozy "Greater London and South-East" Empire.

It also moves a few West London (again, ish) clubs such as Harrow Boro, Hendon, Hampton & Richmond, Met Police, Dulwich Hamlet, Kingstonian and Leatherhead into the SL, plus Bognor Regis Town. Seems a bit drastic and some of those clubs have spent their entire lives in the Isthmian League so probably wouldn't like it, but it does make the footprints of the three Divisions more equal and, dare I say, fair.

Have a feeling it would be a bit too radical, although there have been rumours doing the rounds that the FA want to "shake up" Step 3, and short of introducing a fourth division this would be a good way of doing it.

Devil's Advocate

I gather we find out later this week if we are going north or south TRM?

UlsterJim

UlsterJim

Devil's Advocate wrote:I gather we find out later this week if we are going north or south TRM?

The FA League Structuring meeting is this Thursday, so I am guessing we will know on Friday.

http://www.nibadges.com

TRM

15th May is the date I've seen mentioned for the Leagues Committee to meet. That may or may not be right, and it may or may not be the day that the allocations are actually announced.

Shouldn't be much after that though.

In practice, I reckon most of the decisions have already been made and the meeting will be something of a "rubber stamp" exercise.

There's an interesting thread on Chesham's forum...

http://www.cheshamunited.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7743

The reason it's interesting (to me, at least) is the response from Chesham's Chairman to the two possible line-ups quoted, both of which assume Stour to be moved to the NPL and also show a few clubs moved across from the Isthmian League into the SL. He says "neither is correct" but doesn't expand on that.

The interesting bit is that Chesham's Chairman is on the SL Management Committee so there's a fair chance he's "in the know."

I reckon he's talking more about the SL/IL issue as being a former IL club that's likely to be of more interest to Chesham but it could be an indication that we are staying put. It also suggests that decisions have already been made.

Devil's Advocate

TRM wrote:15th May is the date I've seen mentioned for the Leagues Committee to meet. That may or may not be right, and it may or may not be the day that the allocations are actually announced.

Shouldn't be much after that though.

In practice, I reckon most of the decisions have already been made and the meeting will be something of a "rubber stamp" exercise.

There's an interesting thread on Chesham's forum...

http://www.cheshamunited.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7743

The reason it's interesting (to me, at least) is the response from Chesham's Chairman to the two possible line-ups quoted, both of which assume Stour to be moved to the NPL and also show a few clubs moved across from the Isthmian League into the SL. He says "neither is correct" but doesn't expand on that.

The interesting bit is that Chesham's Chairman is on the SL Management Committee so there's a fair chance he's "in the know."

I reckon he's talking more about the SL/IL issue as being a former IL club that's likely to be of more interest to Chesham but it could be an indication that we are staying put. It also suggests that decisions have already been made.

Isn't the Chesham chairman the one who's son in law to Harry Rudge who was heavily involved at Halesowen all those years ago?

I know that someone on the Southern League committee is and my recollection is that it was him but i'm sure you'll know the answer TRM?

TRM

Don't think so. Chesham's Chairman is Brian McCarthy according to their website. That's not a name I know and certainly not the guy I think you're referring to, with whom I am/was more than familiar for reasons well known to some on here...

stour_boy

stour_boy

No word yet then? Sad

stour_boy

stour_boy

Halesowen are reportedly being transferred to the SLP

stour_boy

stour_boy

Assume we are sticking where we are then!

Jack

Jack
Admin

Southern. Confirmed.

https://glassboys.forumotion.com

stour_boy

stour_boy

Promoted to SLP:
Cirencester Sad
Dunstable
Halesowen (from NPL South)
Paulton
Slough

Relegated to SLP:
Dorchester
Histon

Leaving us:
Hemel
St Albans
Corby (transferred to NPL Premier)
Bashley
Bedford
AFC Totton

oldhillglassboy

The FA have surprised again, I thought Halesowen moving south to join us was the least likely option of the 3.

stour_boy

stour_boy

Halesowen and their manager not happy, with the latter calling for an appeal. Ridiculous IMHO, the travelling is not significantly improved; even if it is a mileage saving, is it really much of a time saver?

Miserable lot, if they do appeal and win, hope the fixture computer churns out Workington and Blyth Spartans away on Tuesday nights...

Dave the Glassboy

Dave the Glassboy

Oh great, same boring league same boring teams over and over again.

Mad 

Devil's Advocate

Dave the Glassboy wrote:Oh great, same boring league same boring teams over and over again.

Mad 

Yes,it really is a bugger being an Albion fan and constantly watching them play the same teams year in and year out Laughing 

This might seem like a rather radical idea but how about we get promotion to allow us to travel up that M6 Dave rather than by begging to move sideways Shocked 

Personally,a match is a match,i couldn't give a Daffy Duck if the opponent comes from Tripoli or Tipton,i don't get this need to visit every ground on the planet.

I can't wait to visit Burnham again and to visit Histon ( twice possibly? ) next season Twisted Evil 

Dave the Glassboy

Dave the Glassboy

Really? Burnham and their crappy pitch in the middle of nowhere? Sheesh.

Devil's Advocate

Dave the Glassboy wrote:Really? Burnham and their crappy pitch in the middle of nowhere? Sheesh.

I was being Ironic Dave.

To be honest though it's quite funny that you slag off Burnham yet will turn up at a playing field 100 miles from home to watch Cheadle Hulme under 8's play a league match Laughing

NickSFCB

If it has pissed Halesowen off, then I'm happy we stayed in the south. 
Stick em in the north, let them travel to Cumbria midweek and not have their cup final vs us, if that's what they want.

stour_boy

stour_boy

I utterly refuse to do Burnham again unless I happen to be working in London like last time. Possibly the ultimate low point of my entire life let alone watching Stour!!

I'm happy we've stayed and there are 7 'new' teams for next season which is good. And no Corby Smile

As DA touched upon, I'd much rather stay settled with familiar opposition this year to help us go up and meet 21 teams, most of whom we haven't ever visited or certainly not for a long time.

Looking forward to next season already.

When's the fixture list out Very Happy

Devil's Advocate

stour_boy wrote:I utterly refuse to do Burnham again unless I happen to be working in London like last time. Possibly the ultimate low point of my entire life let alone watching Stour!!

I'm happy we've stayed and there are 7 'new' teams for next season which is good. And no Corby Smile

As DA touched upon, I'd much rather stay settled with familiar opposition this year to help us go up and meet 21 teams, most of whom we haven't ever visited or certainly not for a long time.

To be honest mate Burnham got a bad press due in truth to a bloody awful and inept Stour performance.

I was impressed by the commitment of a side who were not getting paid AND enjoyed the interaction with their manager of the time ( Jurgen Klopp lookalike ) who summed up for me a lot of what is great about our non league game.

With you and Brockmoor bailing out i can see the crowd struggling to reach 50 next season  Sad 

NickSFCB

I have to say, that I didn't find burnham too bad, our performance aside, which was truly shocking. 
Decent town a few good boozer and a good curry house. All relatively close to the ground if your going by car.

baz

Like everything in life you are given a choice if dont wanna go Chesham etc again next season dont go!!

Jack

Jack
Admin

Why would people not go Chesham?

Was Burnham really THAT bad?

https://glassboys.forumotion.com

stour_boy

stour_boy

Devil's Advocate wrote:
stour_boy wrote:I utterly refuse to do Burnham again unless I happen to be working in London like last time. Possibly the ultimate low point of my entire life let alone watching Stour!!

To be honest mate Burnham got a bad press due in truth to a bloody awful and inept Stour performance.

I was impressed by the commitment of a side who were not getting paid AND enjoyed the interaction with their manager of the time ( Jurgen Klopp lookalike ) who summed up for me a lot of what is great about our non league game.

With you and Brockmoor bailing out i can see the crowd struggling to reach 50 next season  Sad 

No doubt they will still claim it as being 123 or whatever crowd they made up last season!

And Hungerford will continue to pull in exactly 100 every week...

Burnham's effort was impressive in both games and I'm surprised they didn't finish higher in the table.

In all seriousness I'd rather go to new grounds for me (Hungerford included) than ones I've already been too, so Burnham, Hitchin and Chesham may be the ones I miss next season.

stour_boy

stour_boy

Jack wrote:Why would people not go Chesham?

Was Burnham really THAT bad?

I would go again to both if it was a significantly important game, but personally I will be prioritising away matches where I haven't been before. Nothing much wrong with either venue, just that I've already been to both.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum