Stourbridge Football Club-Unofficial Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Stourbridge Football Club-Unofficial Forum

The latest views on the Glassboys

You are not connected. Please login or register

North or South for 2014-2015 season?

+15
Jane.N
Tricky Tree
rasam
brockmoor
NickSFCB
UlsterJim
baz
oldhillglassboy
TRM
Jack
PhilC
stoursi
Dave the Glassboy
stour_boy
Devil's Advocate
19 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 5]

101North or South for 2014-2015 season? - Page 5 Empty Re: North or South for 2014-2015 season? Thu May 29 2014, 16:41

stour_boy

stour_boy

Ashton United
Barwell
Belper Town
Blyth Spartans
Buxton
Curzon Ashton
FC United of Manchester
Frickley Athletic
Grantham Town
Halesowen Town
Ilkeston
Kings Lynn Town
Marine
Matlock Town
Nantwich Town
Ramsbottom United
Rushall Olympic
Skelmersdale United
Stamford
Stourbridge
Trafford
Whitby Town
Witton Albion
Workington

102North or South for 2014-2015 season? - Page 5 Empty Re: North or South for 2014-2015 season? Thu May 29 2014, 17:00

Tricky Tree

Tricky Tree

stoursi wrote:Now we know it will be the Northern Premier we play in next season will this affect the players who have already committed to Stourbridge next season.

Does this mean Gary has to look at different players to what he was.

Personally I think we would have been better off staying in the Southern from a promotion point but for fans it certainly means some new grounds.

Nice to see Tricky back on forum take it you are feeling better.

Feel fine in myself mucka but my knee is giving me real problems.... house bound for the foreseeable... Sad 

103North or South for 2014-2015 season? - Page 5 Empty Re: North or South for 2014-2015 season? Thu May 29 2014, 17:15

Devil's Advocate

Tricky Tree wrote:
stoursi wrote:Now we know it will be the Northern Premier we play in next season will this affect the players who have already committed to Stourbridge next season.

Does this mean Gary has to look at different players to what he was.

Personally I think we would have been better off staying in the Southern from a promotion point but for fans it certainly means some new grounds.

Nice to see Tricky back on forum take it you are feeling better.

Feel fine in myself mucka but my knee is giving me real problems.... house bound for the foreseeable... Sad 

Babestation is worth a look…………………………..so a mate tell's me  Laughing 

104North or South for 2014-2015 season? - Page 5 Empty Re: North or South for 2014-2015 season? Thu May 29 2014, 17:21

brockmoor

brockmoor

So were in the Northern.

That's all I wanted to know!  Wink

Don't care how we got there.

Last edited by brockmoor on Thu May 29 2014, 20:54; edited 1 time in total

105North or South for 2014-2015 season? - Page 5 Empty Re: North or South for 2014-2015 season? Thu May 29 2014, 20:43

oldhillglassboy

Another surprise, sensible to keep us and Halesowen in the same division though, will be a tougher league than the south I think and not sure I relish FC United.

2 trips I hope to take in are Matlock and Ramsbottom, grounds right in the middle of very nice town centre's, matlock 3 sided and Ramsbottom football and cricket back to back (you can arrive by steam train at the later!). Isn't marine 3 sided too? the August fixtures might be a headache, although i'm led to believe the northern are far more accommodating with the fixtures, eg, moving postponed matches around so long distance trips can be on a Saturday.

With regards to Worksop, it seems odd they tried to retract the resignation straight away, they did make their own bed though, it's always the supporters who suffer in these instances

106North or South for 2014-2015 season? - Page 5 Empty Re: North or South for 2014-2015 season? Thu May 29 2014, 20:55

Jane.N

Extreme opposite views in out house. Mine is boo hiss! Rolling Eyes 

107North or South for 2014-2015 season? - Page 5 Empty Re: North or South for 2014-2015 season? Thu May 29 2014, 21:24

Dave the Glassboy

Dave the Glassboy

Jane.N wrote:Extreme opposite views in out house. Mine is boo hiss! Rolling Eyes 

I don't want to know what you can view in your outhouse thank you very much!  Wink

However, can't say I'm too disturbed. This will bring down the overall travelling and we'll be an unknown quantity in that league which could count in our favour. Beyond that I don't think it'll affect our promotion chances one way or another.

108North or South for 2014-2015 season? - Page 5 Empty Re: North or South for 2014-2015 season? Thu May 29 2014, 21:38

TRM

Dave the Glassboy wrote:
Jane.N wrote:Extreme opposite views in out house. Mine is boo hiss! Rolling Eyes 

I don't want to know what you can view in your outhouse thank you very much!  Wink

However, can't say I'm too disturbed. This will bring down the overall travelling and we'll be an unknown quantity in that league which could count in our favour. Beyond that I don't think it'll affect our promotion chances one way or another.

For once I'm with Dave!

Whether we do well or badly will be solely down to us, and who's to say how we would have done if we'd stayed in the SL? For me it's neither here nor there in terms of the ability of the other teams in the NPL or SL, and I don't get this theory that we'll be clogged to within an inch of our lives by those rough Northern types. If it was a "hoofers and brutes" League up there, how come Barwell haven't done better? Curzon Ashton, for me, although a bit lightweight against higher level opposition, were one of the better footballing teams we played against last season.

Buxton, North Ferriby, Workington, Mickleover at various stages over the last few years have been no better or worse in style of play than teams from the SL

Hednesford were a good side in this League and an equally good side when they moved North. Rushall didn't want to go from the SL but have thrived in the NPL. Barwell, as I say, have gone in the other direction a bit. When we've come up against Northern opposition over the last five years or so I reckon we've won more than we've lost, and I can't remember us being kicked off the park once.

I'm happy enough and looking forward to a bit of variety.

109North or South for 2014-2015 season? - Page 5 Empty Re: North or South for 2014-2015 season? Thu May 29 2014, 22:30

Jane.N

My view has nothing to do with the travelling, whether we will or wont get promoted or anything like that. I just prefer Devon, Cornwall and Dorset to up North!  Very Happy 

110North or South for 2014-2015 season? - Page 5 Empty Re: North or South for 2014-2015 season? Thu May 29 2014, 22:40

barnstoneworth

barnstoneworth

Slightly bemused by this northern clogger attitude. I don't recall being kicked off the pitch by any northern teams in the cup this year, and ink the trophy Ferriby simply played the better football. Perhaps I'm biased because I'm from Batley!

111North or South for 2014-2015 season? - Page 5 Empty Re: North or South for 2014-2015 season? Thu May 29 2014, 22:54

Dave the Glassboy

Dave the Glassboy

barnstoneworth wrote:Slightly bemused by this northern clogger attitude. I don't recall being kicked off the pitch by any northern teams in the cup this year, and ink the trophy Ferriby simply played the better football.  Perhaps I'm biased because I'm from Batley!

TBH North Ferriby very much contradicted the tired "northern clogger" clichés as they were one of the best footballing sides we played last season IMO.

112North or South for 2014-2015 season? - Page 5 Empty Re: North or South for 2014-2015 season? Fri May 30 2014, 00:12

Devil's Advocate

Dave the Glassboy wrote:
barnstoneworth wrote:Slightly bemused by this northern clogger attitude. I don't recall being kicked off the pitch by any northern teams in the cup this year, and ink the trophy Ferriby simply played the better football.  Perhaps I'm biased because I'm from Batley!

TBH North Ferriby very much contradicted the tired "northern clogger" clichés as they were one of the best footballing sides we played last season IMO.

True Dave but physically they were streets ahead of us in my opinion.

As for "up north" let me just say Jane,i come from Harrogate,i'm a Yorkshire lad by birth and i'll tell you something for nothing,Harrogate is a gem of a town,you need to widen your horizon's dear,there are some beautiful places up there.

113North or South for 2014-2015 season? - Page 5 Empty Re: North or South for 2014-2015 season? Fri May 30 2014, 00:17

Jane.N

I have been to Harrogate a few times and loved it, and my Grandad came from Hartlepool - and I still have relatives who live there. I have also enjoyed time in Whitby. My sister lives near Sheffield and I have spent many happy a day in Manchester. I didn't say I didn't like up north, I just said I prefer Devon, Cornwall and Dorset - which I do!  Razz 

114North or South for 2014-2015 season? - Page 5 Empty Re: North or South for 2014-2015 season? Fri May 30 2014, 00:26

Devil's Advocate

Jane.N wrote:I have been to Harrogate a few times and loved it,  and my Grandad came from Hartlepool - and I still have relatives who live there. I have also enjoyed time in Whitby. My sister lives near Sheffield and I have spent many happy a day in Manchester.  I didn't say I didn't like up north, I just said I prefer Devon, Cornwall and Dorset - which I do!  Razz 

I'm glad to hear you have some decent northern blood running through your vein's Jane  Laughing 

Can't wait to go to Workington again……Andy Hill's mate Joe will be in a state up unbridled excitement at the thought of a visit up there to watch his two loves play each other.

Will Andy Hill make it this time or will illness strike again  Rolling Eyes

115North or South for 2014-2015 season? - Page 5 Empty Re: North or South for 2014-2015 season? Fri May 30 2014, 06:48

TRM

Devil's Advocate wrote:
Dave the Glassboy wrote:

True Dave but physically they were streets ahead of us in my opinion.

Definitely much stronger than us as well as the best footballing side I saw us play last season, but they were top of Conf North (albeit after winning the NPL Prem the season before) so not really representative of the teams we will face next season.

As it happens, NFU do seem to have a reputation as cloggers and hoofers on the Non League forum, which astonishes me after what I saw.

116North or South for 2014-2015 season? - Page 5 Empty Re: North or South for 2014-2015 season? Fri May 30 2014, 09:00

stour_boy

stour_boy

I like it up North, especially around Sheffield where I spent my placement year.

Regarding August fixtures, I know we sorted everything out to play on one of the first August Saturday's at Amblecote, and possibly we could play BH Monday or one of the Tuesdays as well at home as we have in previous seasons?

If memory serves me it was Saturday 16th we can play at Amblecote, so the same opening set of fixtures as this season, i.e. away on the opening day, then Tuesday & Saturday at home, etc.

Question is, will the Evo-Stik league be as accommodating of this arrangement?

117North or South for 2014-2015 season? - Page 5 Empty Re: North or South for 2014-2015 season? Fri May 30 2014, 09:24

TRM

stour_boy wrote:I like it up North, especially around Sheffield where I spent my placement year.

Regarding August fixtures, I know we sorted everything out to play on one of the first August Saturday's at Amblecote, and possibly we could play BH Monday or one of the Tuesdays as well at home as we have in previous seasons?

If memory serves me it was Saturday 16th we can play at Amblecote, so the same opening set of fixtures as this season, i.e. away on the opening day, then Tuesday & Saturday at home, etc.

Question is, will the Evo-Stik league be as accommodating of this arrangement?

The NPL doesn't kick off until the 16th, which is better as we could have had 7 SL fixtures before the end of August, and as many as 4 of those at home, which might have presented difficulties.

118North or South for 2014-2015 season? - Page 5 Empty Re: North or South for 2014-2015 season? Fri May 30 2014, 13:38

scoop

Is this definitely confirmed that the kick off in the NPL is August 16? I thought all the non-leagues kicked off on August 9?

119North or South for 2014-2015 season? - Page 5 Empty Re: North or South for 2014-2015 season? Fri May 30 2014, 15:30

TRM

We'll be buggered if it does kick off on 9th August as we're playing a friendly at Romulus that day!

120North or South for 2014-2015 season? - Page 5 Empty Re: North or South for 2014-2015 season? Fri May 30 2014, 15:57

stour_boy

stour_boy

Think the NPL were quicker than the SL in publishing their fixtures last year! Fingers crossed for an early to mid July publish date...

121North or South for 2014-2015 season? - Page 5 Empty Re: North or South for 2014-2015 season? Tue Jun 10 2014, 17:12

Brian Handy

Hereford United have been expelled from the Football Conference following their failure to pay their bills.
Chester are now reinstated as a Conference Premier club and Hayes & Yeading will stay in Conference South.

I trust this will not change our situation.

122North or South for 2014-2015 season? - Page 5 Empty Re: North or South for 2014-2015 season? Tue Jun 10 2014, 17:38

Devil's Advocate

Brian Handy wrote:Hereford United have been expelled from the Football Conference following their failure to pay their bills.
Chester are now reinstated as a Conference Premier club and Hayes & Yeading will stay in Conference South.

Hi Brian,

Hope you're well old lad,looking forward to seeing your happy smiling face in just a few short weeks!

Sad to hear this about Hereford,one of the original non league "giants" from my childhood.

123North or South for 2014-2015 season? - Page 5 Empty Re: North or South for 2014-2015 season? Tue Jun 10 2014, 21:20

dave w

Brian Handy wrote:Hereford United have been expelled from the Football Conference following their failure to pay their bills.

The way things are going we'll probably end up in the Scottish league.

124North or South for 2014-2015 season? - Page 5 Empty Re: North or South for 2014-2015 season? Fri Jun 13 2014, 09:44

stour_boy

stour_boy

Decision also expected at 1pm today about the future of Salisbury City. They may be kicked out of the Conference AGAIN after being relegated two levels to the SLP a few seasons ago.

Going North may end up working out very well for us, were Hereford and Salisbury both go into the SLP as that would be another season or two of a 'big' club being parachuted in, badly affecting all the chances of success of the existing teams.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum