Stourbridge Football Club-Unofficial Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Stourbridge Football Club-Unofficial Forum

The latest views on the Glassboys

You are not connected. Please login or register

WBA Friendly match

+2
redpike
Old Codger
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1WBA Friendly match Empty WBA Friendly match Thu Mar 19 2015, 14:29

Old Codger

This is a very nice surprise and I will certainly be there to watch....all being well & man flu sorted !
Also a nice gesture being free admission, us pensioners will really appreciate that !

The first thing that crossed my mind when I read about it was Mr Redpike's comment on the Ilkeston at Home topic.......

"With such a huge turnover of players continuing, I can only think that Gary is already planning for next season with players being on trial now, rather than in pre-season friendlies."

Dear Mr Redpike....do you happen to know Saturdays lotto numbers ?

Hope springs eternal ..... COYG

2WBA Friendly match Empty WBA Friendly match Fri Mar 20 2015, 08:07

redpike

If only, Old Codger, if only................................. !

3WBA Friendly match Empty Re: WBA Friendly match Fri Mar 20 2015, 08:22

Old Codger

redpike wrote:If only, Old Codger, if only................................. !

How true......how very true !

4WBA Friendly match Empty Re: WBA Friendly match Wed Mar 25 2015, 00:19

dave w

Well, it got me out of the house. Should have won, we had most of the ball, a few missed chances but a decent workout. 407 there even though most of the regular faces seemed to be missing, and the welcome return of Simon Morris. Let's hope some of the newcomers return.

5WBA Friendly match Empty WBA Friendly match Wed Mar 25 2015, 08:44

redpike

Although still not fully understanding the purpose of the friendly with our Youth Team playing the same night, apart from boosting our bar and refreshment takings, it proved to be an entertaining game against a very young and fit WBA team, comprising several members of the U18 squad. Apparently, their no. 2 was just 15 years old.

Our overall play was good but with the final ball, particularly from Luke C and Jordan, just lacking that extra bit of quality. Chris again caught the eye with his pace and trickery.

We were so much on top towards the end that I can't remember Dominic, a mid-2nd half sub for Dean, having to make a save.

The crowd of just over 400 didn't seem to include many of our regulars. Let's hope some of the 'newbies' come back again.

6WBA Friendly match Empty Re: WBA Friendly match Wed Mar 25 2015, 10:16

Old Codger

Not quite sure what to make of this game,
If the intention was to assess the squad as part of next seasons rebuild then where were Wint, Denny, Dodd etc ? What's happened to Ex.....he seems to have disappeared off the face of the planet ! Also no Drew and I guess Knight was not being risked in view of Saturday's game, yet is was ok to risk the likes of Will, Benbow and Kayo ? All rather odd.
I do find the lack of information about players fitness and availability frustrating.
The game itself was quite an entertaining affair and made for a decent night out but with better finishing we could and should have won convincingly. Hard to believe that was the last Tuesday night game of the season !

7WBA Friendly match Empty Re: WBA Friendly match Wed Mar 25 2015, 10:41

Devil's Advocate

Old Codger wrote:Not quite sure what to make of this game,
If the intention was to assess the squad as part of next seasons rebuild then where were Wint, Denny, Dodd etc ? What's happened to Ex.....he seems to have disappeared off the face of the planet ! Also no Drew and I guess Knight was not being risked in view of Saturday's game, yet is was ok to risk the likes of Will, Benbow and Kayo ? All rather odd.
I do find the lack of information about players fitness and availability frustrating.
The game itself was quite an entertaining affair and made for a decent night out but with better finishing we could and should have won convincingly. Hard to believe that was the last Tuesday night game of the season !

Ex has left the club according to last week's Stourbridge News and i was told at last week's Ilkeston match that Wint had also gone.

8WBA Friendly match Empty Re: WBA Friendly match Wed Mar 25 2015, 15:54

Old Codger

Thanks for the info DA, not living in Stoubridge I don't get to see the local paper.
Pity about Ex, not everyone's cup of tea but I liked him and we looked more solid in defence when he played, but hey life goes on.

9WBA Friendly match Empty Re: WBA Friendly match Thu Mar 26 2015, 20:13

barnstoneworth

barnstoneworth

According to footballwebpages.co.uk aron wint was back on the bench for leamington in midweek

10WBA Friendly match Empty Re: WBA Friendly match Thu Mar 26 2015, 20:22

Old Codger

And according to the club's Twitter feed James Shan (manager of WBA u21s) thanked Stourbridge for taking the game at short notice and was very complimentary towards SFC.
Nice gesture and now we know how and why the game came about and, I would suggest, why it was free admission.
Nice one baggies !

11WBA Friendly match Empty Re: WBA Friendly match Sat Mar 28 2015, 11:24

oldhillglassboy

This game was a surprise and was a typical Birmingham senior cup type game, i've seen worse matches this season. I think it encapsulated our current form in that we had plenty of the ball but couldn't score from open play (good work from Brown in winning and scoring the penalty) and they only had one chance which they scored, and pretty poor defending for it.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum