Stourbridge Football Club-Unofficial Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Stourbridge Football Club-Unofficial Forum

The latest views on the Glassboys

You are not connected. Please login or register

Blyth home

+12
bulla
Jane.N
Aled
Jack
glassboypaul
Stourman1
oldhillglassboy
Devil's Advocate
stoursi
brockmoor
Baggiestour
barnstoneworth
16 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Blyth home Empty Blyth home Sat Mar 07 2015, 19:41

barnstoneworth

barnstoneworth

Ok, so at what point do we start looking over our shoulders at the relegation places?
Thought we were awful today. Blyth didn't need to get out second gear to beat us and I think we wouldn't have scored if we'd carried in playing til midnight.
Three poor goals to concede, not to mention the penalty miss early on. The game had the look and feel of an end of season kickabout but we still need a few point s to feel safe.

2Blyth home Empty Re: Blyth home Sat Mar 07 2015, 19:55

Baggiestour

We will not get relegated from this league, I think we have enough points already to be safe.
Fresh ideas are needed, I say get richard sneekes or John (bonky) hill in as our new manager.

3Blyth home Empty Re: Blyth home Sat Mar 07 2015, 21:45

barnstoneworth

barnstoneworth

Fresh ideas can come from what we've got. Just need a win to get our season going again. With any luck Ramsbottom will oblige on Tuesday.

4Blyth home Empty Re: Blyth home Sat Mar 07 2015, 21:48

brockmoor

brockmoor

Don't stress guys & girls....

GH says he will know when it's the right time to leave.

It's er er erm under control.

#wereinaflatspinofmaverickproportions

Rolling Eyes

5Blyth home Empty Re: Blyth home Sat Mar 07 2015, 21:48

stoursi

We will not relegated but it time for a change.

I said after the first cup we should have sacked Gary in the October of the next season. That was our strongest side and he failed to improve on it.

Today was another crap performance in this season and I would go as tar as the worst performance in the last seven I have watched Stour home and away.

Fans want players who give it there all. As a fan I can ask no more. So why did he sub Will and Leon today. Leon out of position. I hope they find a manager who appreciates them.

Coleman is the worst keeper I have seen wear the shirt. The ex youth players in the squad aren't strong enough. Dayle is far stronger as he provide at Stamford and Frickley but is never given a chance ,

Gary its time to be a man and admit you cant take this club any further. Walk away while we still remember the cup runs otherwise it will be relegation we remember you by.

6Blyth home Empty Re: Blyth home Sat Mar 07 2015, 22:20

Devil's Advocate

It's at times like these where having a manager who is a board member becomes very tricky.

This was always going to become a problem at some point.

We are in the biggest mess we have been in for many years and just a few points ahead of relegation with a team of players who are just not gelling,not understanding the plan they are being issued with by their leader's.

A very worrying scenario.

7Blyth home Empty Re: Blyth home Sat Mar 07 2015, 23:14

oldhillglassboy

I'd reluctantly virtually accepted we'd lose today but I did  hope to see  a better performance after recent displays and push Blyth hard.  What we got is a string contender for the worst i've seen from Stourbridge, Blyth did not have to break sweat and could have won by a bigger margin but for the missed penalty which was more akin to a rugby conversion and other chances.  

Yes they looked a good side although we where so poor it's hard to make a full judgment, the second goal in particular was very disapointing to concede, thought Richards had looked as likey as anyone to do something and surprised he was subsituted, but we didn't look like scoreing in a month of sundays.  No confidence, no intensity and playing as individuals a lot of the time, the management's programme notes said they believe the players brought in are good enough, I have to disagree with that.

We have Ramsbottom twice in a week, they are rebuilding after the manager went to Salford city taking a lot of the players with him, if we don't beat them  i'm struggling to see us winning another game with the opponents we have coming up, we won't be relegated but the season is imploding rapidly, which it has threatened to do at different points all year.

Quite a few people made for the exit after the third goal today, and Hackett out was heard more than once, he is under serious pressure, and i'm sorry to say it looks terminal.  Like other's I've never been comfortable with the manager being on the board.

It's going to be a low gate on Tuesday isn't it, I hope the rot can be stopped then.

8Blyth home Empty Re: Blyth home Sun Mar 08 2015, 07:32

Stourman1

Gary will have until the end of the season I'm sure. But a change is needed now and I think a fresh approach new ideas is needed.
Look at Halesowen and what a good job he's doing, having watched Rushall a few time I'm not keen on Sneekers.
But a change is needed Gary time to go mate you've changed the club and been a legend but I'd hate for you go be hounded out as like I said your a legend.
Manager that we ain't mentioned is the lad at Redditch macdonald.
Turned Redditch into a playoff side in the time he's been there. An idea before he gets other options from higher clubs.

9Blyth home Empty Re: Blyth home Sun Mar 08 2015, 08:50

glassboypaul

Four points from Ramsbottom (I.e in the next 7 days) is imperative, and a win against Marine should see us over the line as far as relegation is concerned.

I am sure nothing will happen until the end of the season because we are not going up or down so there is little point. It's definitely something to look at over the summer in terms of whether change is required as then a sensible, well thought out discussion can take place.

I must say I don't think much of your suggestions though. I don't know why the Halesowen manager keeps getting mentioned. We have won twice in 2015 and are still only 3 points behind them!

Rushall must be one of the worst sides I have seen here all season, just played for a point. No thanks.

Redditch are being bankrolled hence the sudden upturn in form and the cheeky 7 day approaches. Any man and his dog could do well there.

10Blyth home Empty Re: Blyth home Sun Mar 08 2015, 09:26

Jack

Jack
Admin

Irrespective of whether Gary should or shouldn't go, do you honestly think Halesowen's manager would leave them for us? REALLY? Theyre doing better than us, on larger crowds, on a lower budget. There is absolutely no reason for him to come here. None. IF the day comes when a change happens, I'd also be inclined to go with the lad from Redditch who is doing very well. But personally, I don't think it'll come to that.

https://glassboys.forumotion.com

11Blyth home Empty Re: Blyth home Sun Mar 08 2015, 09:52

Aled

The knives are well and truly out now eh?

I wasn't there yesterday, but I expected a drubbing, and it sounds like that's what we got. The games i've seen have been awful, particularly since Christmas, it's all very end of season, but as I tweeted the other night, we still need a couple of wins to be absolutely safe.

As bad as it's been though, in my opinion Gary should have until at least Christmas. If, if we're half way down the league by then, but far more importantly, if the performances are still as bad, perhaps that's the time to be looking at his position.

I'm nostalgic so forgive me, but we're in danger of forgetting all the wonderful moments Gary and co have given us over the past decade, and I personally feel we should show him some of the loyalty he has shown SFC over the years. He's a top fella, took the job on when no one else wanted it, we had practically no players, and barely a few weeks to build a squad.

Yes I know that's in the past, but this is our first season like this for many a year, let's not forget where we finished last season, it's not as if we've had a few consecutive seasons of relative struggle.

John Hill? Give me a break. We're having our worst season for many a year, and they're a few points ahead of us. It's all about perpective, them lot up the road are chuffed to balls to be competing this year, our expectations were (unrealistically) higher.

I predicted a mid table finish this year, but it is the level of performance that worries me rather than our league position.

One question though; given our current position,playing staff etc, who's better placed to turn it around than Gary? Be careful what you wish for and all that, As for Gary being on the board/committee or whatever we want to call it, I don't believe for one minute that has any bearing on Gary's position. He isn't Arsene Wenger, and this isn't Arsenal.

Keep the faith fellas. Up the Glassboys!

12Blyth home Empty Re: Blyth home Sun Mar 08 2015, 10:22

Jane.N

As Devil put in another thread and Aled in this, I think Gary deserves to be allowed one shocker after the recent good times.

There have been far too many players coming and going - as has been mentioned several times to - and we are like the Blackpool of the non league in that respect. We need to get players who WANT to play for Stourbridge and stick to a regular team wherever possible . There seems to be almost panic signings at the moment rather than letting new players settle in and get to know their team mates and their style of play.

Obviously someone has to take responsibility for those decisions and I don't see the management blaming anyone else or being afraid to accept bad decisions in the media.

I could mention personal agendas............ affraid but maybe best not! Wink

13Blyth home Empty Re: Blyth home Sun Mar 08 2015, 10:48

glassboypaul

Jack - they are just three points ahead of us, how are you privy to their budget discussions, and I think our crowds have been more or less the same excluding the outliers?

As Jane said, some sadly still have their own personal axes to grind. Hopefully by now they are all too transparent to most.

Talking of crowds - yesterday's was one of the highest for a while, and right up there with our August to December normal average (I.e excluding FCUM and Halesowen). This is encouraging, showing that the fans are sticking with us. There was moaning yesterday but it was fully justified for the most part - it wasn't good to watch. However, this is the time for sticking together and keep willing the team on.

I urge everyone to keep coming down and keep supporting. If anyone had given up when we had a terrible collapse after going out of the FA Vase quarter final or when we were relegated to the MFA, they would have missed several seasons of amazing success!

Totally agree that two wins in 2015 is unacceptable, but let's keep supporting the team.

14Blyth home Empty Re: Blyth home Sun Mar 08 2015, 10:59

Jack

Jack
Admin

glassboypaul wrote:Jack - they are just three points ahead of us, how are you privy to their budget discussions, and I think our crowds have been more or less the same excluding the outliers?

As Jane said, some sadly still have their own personal axes to grind. Hopefully by now they are all too transparent to most.

Talking of crowds - yesterday's was one of the highest for a while, and right up there with our August to December normal average (I.e excluding FCUM and Halesowen). This is encouraging, showing that the fans are sticking with us. There was moaning yesterday but it was fully justified for the most part - it wasn't good to watch. However, this is the time for sticking together and keep willing the team on.

I urge everyone to keep coming down and keep supporting. If anyone had given up when we had a terrible collapse after going out of the FA Vase quarter final or when we were relegated to the MFA, they would have missed several seasons of amazing success!

Totally agree that two wins in 2015 is unacceptable, but let's keep supporting the team.

Theyre 3 points ahead of us having been PROMOTED to this level last season. Its quite blatantly a success for them. You cannot compare the two and say they're only just having a better season than us when expectations are so vastly different. They've not played us or FC United at home. When they do, their average will launch itself well ahead of ours. Do you have privvy to Redditch? You say they're being bankrolled. Based on what exactly? I guarantee you we have a higher budget.

15Blyth home Empty Re: Blyth home Sun Mar 08 2015, 11:02

glassboypaul

Yes, a glance in yesterday's programme will tell you that the guy at Redditch is financing it out of his own pocket.

I don't disagree with you that he wouldn't want to come here, but my question was, why would we want him?

16Blyth home Empty Re: Blyth home Sun Mar 08 2015, 11:06

Jack

Jack
Admin

Financing out of pocket doesn't necessarily mean they're being bankrolled, in fairness.

Because he took over a club in financial mess, he built a squad of quality local players, has led them to the title last year and are more than holding their own in the league this year. They play decent enough football, they work hard for each other and on what I read, have a great team spirit.

Sound familiar, eh?

17Blyth home Empty Re: Blyth home Sun Mar 08 2015, 11:07

glassboypaul

I have seen Redditch twice this season and not thought they were anything special.

I agree he has done well but it would be a backwards move in terms of what Gary has achieved.

18Blyth home Empty Re: Blyth home Sun Mar 08 2015, 11:12

Jack

Jack
Admin

But we're assuming in this hypothetical scenario that Gary walks or is sacked. The appointment shouldn't be based on what Gary did 3 seasons ago with a team of Macca, Nathan and Sean Geddes. It should be based on what is happening NOW. And in that respect, if a manager gets a team promoted then finishes above us, on a smaller budget how at all is that a move backwards?

And as for suggestions of the Rushall manager? Absolute rubbish that.

19Blyth home Empty Re: Blyth home Sun Mar 08 2015, 11:38

glassboypaul

I think we would be looking for someone with experience of getting a team into the Conference North, like Paul Holleran at Leamington. Look at what he has achieved.

No disrespect to John Hill, but he hasn't achieved that.

20Blyth home Empty Re: Blyth home Sun Mar 08 2015, 12:15

brockmoor

brockmoor

I dont see why GH should have more time. Performances are pitiful, the results are terrible and we seems to have a few new players coming in every week.

We want players who want to play for Stour I hear. Well surely out of 49 registered players signed this season, surely 15 or so want to play?!

Im sick of hearing the old lines from the management. Im sure they dont believe what theyre saying themselves and just doing it for the benefit of us fans.

A few weeks ago GH said were on the right tracks now. Since then we have lost three games and the performances have been shocking. In the past I have witnessed bad teams at Stour and bad performances at much lower levels than we currently play. But on these occasions it was understandable with little or no budget, and it was hard to bring in quality to improve us. We also had the FA regulations which meant promotion wasnt a possibility. There are no such excuses now.

I always look at a squad of players and ask the question, is the manager getting the most out of them? The answer at Stour is definitely not, and its been that way for sometime.

Last season we went backwards as far as league position was concerned on the previous season. We only got in the play-offs due to Poole having points deducted. This season we will be lucky to finish in top half. And no, this league is no harder than the Southern League.

So, why do we need to give GH more time? Next season cant be worse than this, but will it be good enough to get us at very least in the plsy-offs? No, it wont.

21Blyth home Empty Re: Blyth home Sun Mar 08 2015, 15:19

bulla

I think stoursi hasn't got a clue what he is talking about we cannot score we cannot hold the ball up in midfield the defence is all over the place and he just blames Coleman what you want for him to score goals as well

22Blyth home Empty Re: Blyth home Sun Mar 08 2015, 15:25

liamstour

Get hackett out of there all he does is prop up the dugout and picks his favourites week in and weekbout and his words to the fans by the tunnel after the game 'thanks for your support but it wasnt good enough' how can u say that to your fans shocking!

23Blyth home Empty Re: Blyth home Sun Mar 08 2015, 15:37

Devil's Advocate

brockmoor wrote:I dont see why GH should have more time. Performances are pitiful, the results are terrible and we seems to have a few new players coming in every week.

We want players who want to play for Stour I hear. Well surely out of 49 registered players signed this season, surely 15 or so want to play?!

Im sick of hearing the old lines from the management. Im sure they dont believe what theyre saying themselves and just doing it for the benefit of us fans.

A few weeks ago GH said were on the right tracks now. Since then we have lost three games and the performances have been shocking. In the past I have witnessed bad teams at Stour and bad performances at much lower levels than we currently play. But on these occasions it was understandable with little or no budget, and it was hard to bring in quality to improve us. We also had the FA regulations which meant promotion wasnt a possibility. There are no such excuses now.

I always look at a squad of players and ask the question, is the manager getting the most out of them? The answer at Stour is definitely not, and its been that way for sometime.

Last season we went backwards as far as league position was concerned on the previous season. We only got in the play-offs due to Poole having points deducted. This season we will be lucky to finish in top half. And no, this league is no harder than the Southern League.

So, why do we need to give GH more time? Next season cant be worse than this, but will it be good enough to get us at very least in the plsy-offs? No, it wont.

Another good post with points well made,there have been many well made points by a multitude of posters in the last 24 hours.

I liked Jane's post but i do wish people would stop using this line about "agendas",i suffered the same slur by TRM a few weeks ago and i don't think it's necessary.

I think most people who contribute on here have the same "agenda",this is mine just for the sake of clarity.

When we started getting our two promotions it is important that facts are faced,we are now at what would traditionally be classed as Stourbridge FC'c "base level",i've commented previously that we are not at some fantastic,unnatural high for the club,this is the minimum level we should expect any manager to have us at based on history and our average attendance level.

The cup runs have been Gary's crowning glory,an achievement that will be forever remembered and part of the Stourbridge legend and possibly the reason that the grumblings have taken this long to manifest themselves.

From my own point of view i see two ways for a club of our size to operate.

1/ We go back to our previous model of identifying young local talent like we did 6 or 7 years ago and we accept that we are a local side for local people.

I remember our first year back in the Southern Prem,relegation always loomed yet the support was fantastic because the fan's could see mainly local lad's giving it their all.

Personally,i can live with this,if that's what our "model" is then lets go with it and stop messing around with the likes of Jordan Murphy and Morgan-Parker,instead of this fear of youth let's give it it's head and support it 100%.

2/ If not that model then we need to spend more on better players who are properly proven at our level and above and i don't mean the "journeymen" we've been attracting,i mean the Mackey type player who will cost but will generally guarantee a level of performance in a majority of matches.

I will forever maintain that the reluctance to splash out on a couple of quality ( at this level ) players,both last season and the season before have actually been the catalyst for the shambles we now find ourselves in.

The rule of thumb in football has always been that you strengthen when you're in a good position,i think we failed miserably to do this last season,another quality striker was needed to support Benbow and his Easter time injury came back to haunt us.

It's hard to know whether it was due to loyalty to the squad that Gary didn't push for more quality,a reluctance of the board to sanction more quality or stubbornness to prove fan's wrong when a lot were suggesting we were a couple of signing's short of claiming promotion.

From my point of view i can live with Stour being at this level but there is one caveat to that,i want to watch the side playing fast moving,pass and move football and not the utter rubbish we've played this season,there is no excuse for what's being served up,i'd rather go down to defeat having tried to play rather than witnessing aimless hoof ball.

To be honest i hope the end of season brings about a wind of change at Amblecote with very few players being retained,i'd like to see Billingham offered a new contract regardless of his injury status,i think we owe him at least that much,i also want to see Leon,Will,Loui Harris and JMP retained as a nucleus but much of the rest needs to be shown the door.

I'd also look to bring one or two of the older faces we have lost in recent times back to the club to stabilise things whilst a new crop of youngsters are brought through,i think fan's want to see players in the shirt who really do care for the club.

24Blyth home Empty Re: Blyth home Sun Mar 08 2015, 17:44

glassboypaul

Liam Stour...I was there and Gary CLEARLY was referring to the performance on the pitch not being good enough. He was not referring to the support not being good enough in any way.

Therefore I think you should retract your comment. He doesn't deserve being falsely accused.

25Blyth home Empty Re: Blyth home Sun Mar 08 2015, 19:00

Jane.N

Hi Devil,

My comment about agenda was a little mischievous hence the way it was written and the smilies. I hope you know me enough to know it was not aimed at you. I do believe however that there are some people on here and maybe not bit on the stands who would love stour to do badly and Gary to leave just to prove themselves right. I may be wrong but that's how it appears at times.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum