Stourbridge Football Club-Unofficial Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Stourbridge Football Club-Unofficial Forum

The latest views on the Glassboys

You are not connected. Please login or register

Training tonight

+5
Devil's Advocate
baz
brockmoor
stour_boy
TRM
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Training tonight Empty Training tonight Tue Jan 14 2014, 21:33

TRM

Based on a couple of tweets I've seen from our players tonight it sounds like there was no ball work at training. Just running and fitness work. Interesting...

2Training tonight Empty Re: Training tonight Wed Jan 15 2014, 08:58

stour_boy

stour_boy

TRM wrote:Based on a couple of tweets I've seen from our players tonight it sounds like there was no ball work at training. Just running and fitness work. Interesting...

Complaining/moaning tweets or just surprised tweets?

3Training tonight Empty Re: Training tonight Wed Jan 15 2014, 09:19

TRM

Neither, really. Just matter of fact as in "that was tough" type tweets.

4Training tonight Empty Re: Training tonight Wed Jan 15 2014, 12:19

brockmoor

brockmoor

Shame were not trying to win the Olympic sprint relay or marathon.

However the game of football is called 'football' as we play with a ball. The concept of the game is to score a 'goal' at the attacking end, and stop them from going in at the defensive end. The 'ball' is quite an important part of the game in my eyes.

I wonder if Phil Taylor trains without his darts, maybe David Wilkie never saw water in his training schedule?

Surely the players are fit by now, and if they're not, why not?

5Training tonight Empty Re: Training tonight Wed Jan 15 2014, 13:00

TRM

brockmoor wrote:Shame were not trying to win the Olympic sprint relay or marathon.

However the game of football is called 'football' as we play with a ball. The concept of the game is to score a 'goal' at the attacking end, and stop them from going in at the defensive end. The 'ball' is quite an important part of the game in my eyes.

I wonder if Phil Taylor trains without his darts, maybe David Wilkie never saw water in his training schedule?

Surely the players are fit by now, and if they're not, why not?

None of us watches training (I assume), and none of us is privy to Gary and the management team's inner thoughts. And what I posted last night was based on tweets by two players that could easily have been taken out of context, particularly by those who haven't read them first hand. For what it's worth, I'll repeat that I definitely didn't read them as moany or whingy in any way - more a case of "Phew, I'm knackered after that" (to paraphrase).

So perhaps it's not worth reading too much into it.

However, whether it's Stourbridge or Manchester Utd we're talking about, as a general principle I am inclined to agree with Brockmoor.

6Training tonight Empty Re: Training tonight Wed Jan 15 2014, 13:55

stour_boy

stour_boy

No harm in no ball work as a one off. You could equally say if they can't pass or control the ball properly by now why not, as well as, if they're not fit by now why not.

Having the fitness edge over opponents can be key, as can be seen with the gulf in fitness and endurance between league and non-league football. Being able to put in extra effort in the final stages of the match could be the difference between seeing out a narrow lead, and surrendering it.

7Training tonight Empty Re: Training tonight Wed Jan 15 2014, 14:22

brockmoor

brockmoor

stour_boy wrote:No harm in no ball work as a one off. You could equally say if they can't pass or control the ball properly by now why not, as well as, if they're not fit by now why not.

Having the fitness edge over opponents can be key, as can be seen with the gulf in fitness and endurance between league and non-league football. Being able to put in extra effort in the final stages of the match could be the difference between seeing out a narrow lead, and surrendering it.

I agree, but at the end of the day football is about putting the 'ball' in the net more than the opposition. Football as a sport is all about the 'ball'.

It wouldnt matter if we had 11 'Mo Farah's' on the pitch and they were as fit as f***. Its no use if you cant control a football.

At the end of the day, the ball can move faster than any player (even Mo Farah). It also wont get tired. The control of a football is far more important. Fitness training is indeed important but not at this point of the season. I would even argue that after a busy holiday period, players should be doing less fitness work.

8Training tonight Empty Re: Training tonight Wed Jan 15 2014, 15:24

baz

Kenny Guest phoned me up at 7pm last night,he asked if there was a match on as he had seen the lights at the ground on! Should of said yes then he could of taken training lol

9Training tonight Empty Re: Training tonight Wed Jan 15 2014, 17:04

Devil's Advocate

I must say that i'm pretty surprised at the way we seem to train.

I'm not against the running aspect of training but why on a "training night",i don't get that bit?

Even though i only played in the Kiddie League our training night on a Wednesday at The Thorns Leisure Centre was all about the football,we hardly ever did any gruelling running during that 60-90 minute session as the football itself was intense and very competitive.

Because i had pride in myself and my performance i did my "running" along with weight training etc at home on the other nights of the week,i did this until i retired at 43 years of age,i made sure i did at least two 5 mile runs each week and a third one if i could fit it in as well as sit ups,press ups etc.

If i was the manager/coach i would be giving my player's a fitness regime that i'd expect them to adhere to on nights when there was no match or club training.

With most of these lads being 20-30 years of age theres no real issue with them playing Saturday,resting Sunday if they must or maybe a light jog to loosen up.

Monday should be a run of some sort or weights as should Thursday.

Weights especially for the legs and upper body would see a big improvement in our strength on field,if you look at the better non league teams they all seem to have a physical edge to them whereas a lot of our lads are quite slight in build.

10Training tonight Empty Re: Training tonight Wed Jan 15 2014, 20:16

stoursi

Wouldn't have thought our training methods have changed in the last few seasons so surprised the topic has been raised.

Surely we should be debating who we should sign to ensure we reach the play offs.

Also can't understand why Haseley is mentioned when it appears he doesn't want to do the travel involved with playing in the SLP.

11Training tonight Empty Re: Training tonight Wed Jan 15 2014, 21:18

Devil's Advocate

stoursi wrote:Wouldn't have thought our training methods have changed in the last few seasons so surprised the topic has been raised.

Surely we should be debating who we should sign to ensure we reach the play offs.

Also can't understand why Haseley is mentioned when it appears he doesn't want to do the travel involved with playing in the SLP.

Haseley won't join Stourbridge,he's been approached on a couple of occasions and has said no.

From what i've heard about him he's a bit of a strange one,travels as well as a trifle!

He even bailed out on Solihull the week before the start of the season,he seems scared to travel further than a bus pass can take you.

In the pre season game against us he was dire,i'd prefer to see Gary Hackett make a comeback playing alongside Clifton to be honest.

12Training tonight Empty Re: Training tonight Wed Jan 15 2014, 21:22

brockmoor

brockmoor

Devil's Advocate wrote:
stoursi wrote:Wouldn't have thought our training methods have changed in the last few seasons so surprised the topic has been raised.

Haseley won't join Stourbridge,he's been approached on a couple of occasions and has said no.

From what i've heard about him he's a bit of a strange one,travels as well as a trifle!

He even bailed out on Solihull the week before the start of the season,he seems scared to travel further than a bus pass can take you.

In the pre season game against us he was dire,i'd prefer to see Gary Hackett make a comeback playing alongside Clifton to be honest.

Completely agree DA. Halesowen have hardly missed Haseley in the past few months have they!  Laughing 

13Training tonight Empty Re: Training tonight Wed Jan 15 2014, 22:14

Jack

Jack
Admin

Potentially having them back in the league would be a positive to not getting promoted...

https://glassboys.forumotion.com

14Training tonight Empty Re: Training tonight Wed Jan 15 2014, 22:22

brockmoor

brockmoor

Jack wrote:Potentially having them back in the league would be a positive to not getting promoted...

I'm not bothered if they get promoted or not, My only interest is in Stourbridge.

I would be surprised if Coalville don't win the league, so they'll have to do it via the play offs if they are to get promoted.

15Training tonight Empty Re: Training tonight Wed Jan 15 2014, 22:27

rasam

Da. Kiddy league that says it all about your fitness and training knowledge happy new year Very Happy 

16Training tonight Empty Re: Training tonight Wed Jan 15 2014, 22:34

Tricky Tree

Tricky Tree

Rasam strikes again.....he hates you doesn't he devil?

17Training tonight Empty Re: Training tonight Wed Jan 15 2014, 22:49

rasam

I love him really, his posts keep me amused or should I say entertained. Back at the moment hoping to get to the game saturday whats the opinion on this one.the game that is.

18Training tonight Empty Re: Training tonight Wed Jan 15 2014, 22:50

rasam

I love him really, his posts keep me amused or should I say entertained. Back at the moment hoping to get to the game saturday whats the opinion on this one.the game that is.

19Training tonight Empty Re: Training tonight Wed Jan 15 2014, 23:38

Devil's Advocate

rasam wrote:Da. Kiddy league that says it all about your fitness and training knowledge happy new year Very Happy 

Listen rasam,i didn't say i was a great player because i wasn't.

What i wanted to be was the very best that I could be with my limited ability.

I liked running,i made myself into a very decent 10k runner and i dedicated my 20's and 30's to being as strong and fit as i could be with the time that my repping job's allowed me.

I'd get home at 7pm in an evening and strap on the trainers and bang out 8 or 9 miles over Wychbury hill or do an hour of sit ups and press ups and weights so that when i turned up on a Sunday i could compete to MY personal best.

It's called pride,i still try to do 5 miles of exercise every day,rain,snow or shine even now at 52,if i was asked to fill in for a Sunday in a decent Kiddie Sunday side i reckon i could still do it even now.

When I get the fan's match sorted at Stourbridge i'll look forward to inviting you along.

Last edited by Devil's Advocate on Thu Jan 16 2014, 00:11; edited 1 time in total

20Training tonight Empty Re: Training tonight Wed Jan 15 2014, 23:47

rasam

I have obviously hit a sore point as you have decided to be rude and adapt my user name in the crudest form. A shame really as I like this forum however I am glad you are still fit in your fifties fair play to you as I am in my thirties and can just about manage 10 press ups and a pint. Perhaps you could speak to the Stourbridge coach about your league experience if it helps the team then I am all for it. Keep jogging  Laughing 

21Training tonight Empty Re: Training tonight Thu Jan 16 2014, 00:05

Devil's Advocate

rasam wrote:I have obviously hit a sore point as you have decided to be rude and adapt my user name in the crudest form. A shame really as I like this forum however I am glad you are still fit in your fifties fair play to you as I am in my thirties and can just about manage 10 press ups and a pint. Perhaps you could speak to the Stourbridge coach about your league experience if it helps the team then I am all for it. Keep jogging  Laughing 

Spellchecker……..don't you just love it!?

To be honest i thought Tricky was an oaf until i met him in person and he turned out just to be a very decent fellow.

I'll be stood with Tricky at the weekend,i'm now his carer.

He's the bald headed geezer and he'll be stood in The Shed when we attack it,me,Brockmoor and Baz will no doubt be with him so do make yourself known.

22Training tonight Empty Re: Training tonight Thu Jan 16 2014, 07:54

Tricky Tree

Tricky Tree

You can't miss me.....I'm the one with food stains and dribble all down my front. Laughing 
As well as having a four year old weighing down on my shoulders for as long as I can bear it...... Surprised 

23Training tonight Empty Re: Training tonight Thu Jan 16 2014, 12:56

brockmoor

brockmoor

rasam wrote: I am in my thirties and can just about manage 10 press ups and a pint.  Laughing 

mmmm Not exactly true is it.  Wink 

24Training tonight Empty Re: Training tonight Thu Jan 16 2014, 13:09

TRM

brockmoor wrote:
rasam wrote: I am in my thirties and can just about manage 10 press ups and a pint.   Laughing 

Do I read into this that rasam's cover has been blown?

btw, I can manage 10 pints and a press-up (though not necessarily all in the same month...).

25Training tonight Empty Re: Training tonight Thu Jan 16 2014, 13:14

Tricky Tree

Tricky Tree

TRM wrote:
brockmoor wrote:
rasam wrote: I am in my thirties and can just about manage 10 press ups and a pint.   Laughing 

Do I read into this that rasam's cover has been blown?

btw, I can manage 10 pints and a press-up (though not necessarily all in the same month...).

I don't think his cover will ever be blown....he obviously enjoys being a man of mystery.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum