Stourbridge Football Club-Unofficial Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Stourbridge Football Club-Unofficial Forum

The latest views on the Glassboys

You are not connected. Please login or register

Spennymoor Town - Home

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Spennymoor Town - Home  Empty Spennymoor Town - Home Sat Dec 17 2016, 20:37

redpike

''Cometh the hour, cometh forth..........Drew Canavan ! ''

Yet another exquisite trademark Drew free kick saw us get something out of a game in which we never really hit top gear. A bit of ''After the Lord Mayor's Show'' was perhaps not surprising, but it was also against a good Spennymoor team that will be near the top come next April. In fact, if it hadn't been for three first-class saves by Matt, they would have been out of sight.

Although they had already had, I think, four players booked, it had not been a dirty game but, following an incident in which Luke was guilty, the referee lost control and players started shoving each other. I thought Jack was lucky not to have been red-carded for his display of Sunday morning pub football behaviour. Walk away next time, Jack........we need you on the pitch, scoring late winners in cup games !!!

The free kick which led to Drew's late, late equaliser did not meet with the approval, shall we say, of the opposition's team and supporters and I understand a ''handbags'' situation blew up after the final whistle.

Summarising, a few of our players were below par compared with the Northampton game but, at least, we've got a point and our unbeaten run continues.

2Spennymoor Town - Home  Empty Re: Spennymoor Town - Home Sat Dec 17 2016, 23:24

oldhillglassboy

Very much after the lord mayor's show but after Tuesday's efforts expected. Been impressed with Spennymoor the 3 times we've played them and they will definitely be up there I think, they must wonder how they haven't taken six points off us this season, with the weak side we put out at the Brewery Field (but what a fantastic performance we put in) although we caught them just after FA cup efforts at Milton Keynes, the reverse was true today and my gut said defeat in the lead up to this match.

Some excellent work from Gould to keep us in it and Benbow best outfield player putting some great balls in - unfortunately we needed him to be on the end of them! although for me his retaliation in shoving the bloke over was a straight red and he wasn't even spoken to! the handbags following that where ridiculous.

Didn't see the handball for the first free kick but the second one was much more in Canavan's range and was textbook from him, there was plenty of moaning when he came on! he does get a lot of criticism sometimes justified but a lot of it not.

3Spennymoor Town - Home  Empty Re: Spennymoor Town - Home Sun Dec 18 2016, 19:43

sirsmileriiii

oldhillglassboy wrote:although for me his retaliation in shoving the bloke over was a straight red and he wasn't even spoken to! the handbags following that where ridiculous.

In fairness to Luke when he was fouled, the Spennymoor player deliberately stood on his leg whilst he was on the floor. I was standing on the side and saw it very clearly, so I'm not at all surprised that he retaliated.

Having said that we did play better in the 2nd half, and I think that a draw was a fair result for all the hard work that the team put in.

At least we didn't lose, which means our unbeaten streak continues cheers

4Spennymoor Town - Home  Empty Re: Spennymoor Town - Home Mon Dec 19 2016, 10:15

stour_boy

stour_boy

Very pleased to see we got a late equaliser, proving Drew's worthiness in the squad - he not only gives us adequate cover in the midfield and a good sub to bring on, he gives us that goal threat from set pieces. Looked another beauty not unlike his FA Cup winner at Mickleover without which we might not have got to where we are now.

We do have a joke and a laugh about him being the 'Stourbridge Messi' but in truth he gets a lot more criticism than he deserves.

Anyhow, a good point against a side who will surely be there or thereabouts at the top come the end of April, so I think we have done well to get 2 points from the 2 games (and perhaps more importantly come later in the season, restrict them to just 2 as well!)

Spennymoor will probably be thinking how on earth they haven't beaten us 3 times in 2 seasons instead of 0 but that's how things go sometimes...

5Spennymoor Town - Home  Empty Re: Spennymoor Town - Home Mon Dec 19 2016, 16:00

Brian Handy

Man of the Match voting was as follows.

MATT GOULD 14

Drew Canavan 13

Darryl Westlake 11

Tom Tonks
Luke Benbow } 2

Jack Duggan
Dan Scarr } 1
Matt Dodd
Kristian Green

ADE COWLEY won the wine.

Thanks to everyone who took part and a HAPPY CHRISTMAS to you all.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum