Stourbridge Football Club-Unofficial Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Stourbridge Football Club-Unofficial Forum

The latest views on the Glassboys

You are not connected. Please login or register

FA Cup Second Round Draw.

+8
Dave the Glassboy
Aled
barnstoneworth
oldhillglassboy
stour_boy
Jack
dave w
Devil's Advocate
12 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1FA Cup Second Round Draw. Empty FA Cup Second Round Draw. Mon Nov 09 2015, 13:08

Devil's Advocate

So who do we fancy then?

The obvious choices from a "glamour" perspective are probably Sheffield United or Pompey,a clash against either of them at home or indeed against Walsall would guarantee a live TV tie and the money that brings in.

An away tie against the first two would bring decent gate receipts but not exactly a mega earner.

Personally.i'd like to see us get the likes of Yeovil who are really struggling at the ,moment,this season's "Plymouth" if you like,a side really on a downer,i think this tie would also get us a live TV match if we were at home.

With being just one more win away from a potentially future changing tie in round three the temptation has to be to pray for a home tie against one of the few teams left from our sort of level or a struggler from one of the Conference tiers.

Brockmoor has this dread that we'll draw Carlisle or Hartlepool away so considering Hawley played for Carlisle he might just have wished this upon us.

Yeovil at home is my wish.

2FA Cup Second Round Draw. Empty Re: FA Cup Second Round Draw. Mon Nov 09 2015, 18:56

dave w

As ever, the smallest at home or the biggest away.

3FA Cup Second Round Draw. Empty Re: FA Cup Second Round Draw. Mon Nov 09 2015, 19:48

Devil's Advocate

Eastleigh it is then.

A VERY tough ask in my opinion but you can't ask for much more than a home tie against fellow non leaguers for a chance to get to the third round.

I just hope all the lads play with their heads in the next couple of weeks,no stupid sendings off that then deprive the team of their services in the cup match.

4FA Cup Second Round Draw. Empty Re: FA Cup Second Round Draw. Mon Nov 09 2015, 19:55

Jack

Jack
Admin

A small time team pumped with money with very little support, no chance of being on telly and a squad more accustomed to League football than conference. It's an absolute nightmare draw in my opinion. People going 'Non league at home we've got a good chance' should really research who we're playing beforehand. It will be a tougher game than Dover by a long way. I for one am gutted. But all we can do is give the lads the support they deserve.

https://glassboys.forumotion.com

5FA Cup Second Round Draw. Empty Re: FA Cup Second Round Draw. Mon Nov 09 2015, 19:59

stour_boy

stour_boy

Jack wrote:A small time team pumped with money with very little support, no chance of being on telly and a squad more accustomed to League football than conference. It's an absolute nightmare draw in my opinion. People going 'Non league at home we've got a good chance' should really research who we're playing beforehand. It will be a tougher game than Dover by a long way. I for one am gutted. But all we can do is give the lads the support they deserve.

Why would it be tougher than Dover? Home always that bit better than away surely. Otherwise agreed!

6FA Cup Second Round Draw. Empty Re: FA Cup Second Round Draw. Mon Nov 09 2015, 20:09

oldhillglassboy

I'll take that, no doubt it's going to be a tough ask, they and Forest Green where some of the clubs being mentioned on match of the day last night, as having cash and some very good players, they are 5 points below Dover and we beat them away - we've got to have a chance, and it's Dover V Eastleigh in the conference tomorrow night, will be interesting to see the result of that one and try to compare, Dover beat them 5-2 away!

I was desperate for a home draw and jumped up and down at that and would have taken anybody that came out next.  A biggie would have been great in the 1st round but in the 2nd you want a sporting chance of getting to the 3rd, I think we have that, as I said it will be very difficult but I hope to see Amblecote packed to the rafters for this and hopefully history can be made.  A replay in this one would be a tough mid-weeker!

If Fc united win tonight, you'd say it's them and Salford again for live coverage, I suppose we have a chance of being on the sunday show the BBC did yesterday, to be honest i'd rather it be 3.00pm on the Saturday and turn the cash down if that where the case, Barnsley did so.  As it happens I do have something else prebooked for the Saturday, which will obviously be going out the window if it is that day!

7FA Cup Second Round Draw. Empty Re: FA Cup Second Round Draw. Mon Nov 09 2015, 20:24

Jack

Jack
Admin

Stourboy-they're a better team for one. They'll also be BANG up for it. Not sure if Dover really were by all accounts. They're a tinpot team. Be a right damp squib to lose to them.

8FA Cup Second Round Draw. Empty Re: FA Cup Second Round Draw. Mon Nov 09 2015, 20:45

Devil's Advocate

Jack,they are the 7th best supported team in the Conf with an average in the mid 1600's and a top gate this season of over 2200...to call them "Tin pot" almost a starts their manager's team talk for him.

I'm not keen on this despising teams because someone puts money into them,football at most levels is not a money spinner,you might as well burn your cash as invest it into a club,I say fair play to clubs like Eastleigh and Forest Green,what a ride they've given their fan's in recent times.

You support United,you couldn't be owned by a bigger bunch of non answerable shysters,I'd rather be owned by a Vince at FG OR a Pelley at Fleetwood than the Glazer family or FSG at Liverpool.

If Andy Poutney decides to put a couple of million into Stour do we all start looking for a new club?

9FA Cup Second Round Draw. Empty Re: FA Cup Second Round Draw. Mon Nov 09 2015, 20:46

Jack

Jack
Admin

Tinpot is the wrong turn of phrase. It's just not of the big boys of that league is it?

10FA Cup Second Round Draw. Empty Re: FA Cup Second Round Draw. Mon Nov 09 2015, 20:47

Jack

Jack
Admin

My point is if we lose to them it won't be a case of but we lost to Eastleigh and it was such a good day. Like say Pompey. It would be a massive what if moment.

11FA Cup Second Round Draw. Empty Re: FA Cup Second Round Draw. Mon Nov 09 2015, 20:55

Devil's Advocate

We might well win though.

After my "downer" prior to Dover I'm more reluctant to write us off this time.

12FA Cup Second Round Draw. Empty Re: FA Cup Second Round Draw. Mon Nov 09 2015, 21:01

Jack

Jack
Admin

My downer for this is that I think the lads themselves deserved a proper day out after their efforts in the past few weeks. A defeat away at Sheffield Utd would still give them that. At home to these not so much. Having said that, it won't matter as we're going to win!!

13FA Cup Second Round Draw. Empty Re: FA Cup Second Round Draw. Mon Nov 09 2015, 21:30

barnstoneworth

barnstoneworth

Good to see that the Eastleigh forum is already grumbling about coming to a cricket ground and having a low ticket allocation. Seems they're not overwhelmed by the draw either...

14FA Cup Second Round Draw. Empty Re: FA Cup Second Round Draw. Mon Nov 09 2015, 21:55

Aled

barnstoneworth wrote:Good to see that the Eastleigh forum is already grumbling about coming to a cricket ground and having a low ticket allocation. Seems they're not overwhelmed by the draw either...

Stuff em, they're not exactly billy big balls are they. If they're not happy with their 400 odd tickets, tough.

I'm already painting my 'Welcome to Hell' banner and purchasing flares off ebay.

Bloody cockneys'!

15FA Cup Second Round Draw. Empty Re: FA Cup Second Round Draw. Mon Nov 09 2015, 22:02

Dave the Glassboy

Dave the Glassboy

oldhillglassboy wrote: I suppose we have a chance of being on the sunday show the BBC did yesterday, to be honest i'd rather it be 3.00pm on the Saturday and turn the cash down if that where the case, Barnsley did so.  

Personally if they offered a wadge of cash to switch the game to Sunday I'd snap their arm off for it.

16FA Cup Second Round Draw. Empty Re: FA Cup Second Round Draw. Mon Nov 09 2015, 22:03

Aled

Dave the Glassboy wrote:
oldhillglassboy wrote: I suppose we have a chance of being on the sunday show the BBC did yesterday, to be honest i'd rather it be 3.00pm on the Saturday and turn the cash down if that where the case, Barnsley did so.  

Personally if they offered a wadge of cash to switch the game to Sunday I'd snap their arm off for it.

Absolutely right!

17FA Cup Second Round Draw. Empty Re: FA Cup Second Round Draw. Mon Nov 09 2015, 23:03

sirsmileriiii

Everyone who says this game will be a tough task, just remember one important thing. Which is that's exactly what people were saying about our game at Dover in the last round, and that was away.

This is at home and going on their league form they have lost more games than Dover, also they have conceded more goals as well. I am not saying it will be a walk over by any means, but just like the previous 2 rounds we will be going into the game as he underdogs, which puts more pressure on them.

I would much rather be playing this game where there's a chance of getting to the 3rd round, than playing a big team and going out. Playing a team like Sheffield Utd away might have got us a bigger profit, but if we win this game that would become irrelevant because of the prize money we'd get.

We just need a big crowd with a good atmosphere. After all we made plenty of noise all through the game at Dover, so it's about time we started making the same amount of noise at home. Regardless of which end we're kicking Wink

18FA Cup Second Round Draw. Empty Re: FA Cup Second Round Draw. Thu Nov 12 2015, 13:27

lyelad

On the subject of round 2 in the fa cup has anyone got any opinions on salford being on tv for a second time. What with the mini tv series and two televised cup matches they must be raking it in. Also with the owners who I don't suppose are hard up for cash does anyone see this as the bbc and salford in cahoots or does it seem fair not only to stour but for any other clubs.i also note that bbc have advertised this as a bit of history as salford have never reached the third round.

19FA Cup Second Round Draw. Empty Re: FA Cup Second Round Draw. Thu Nov 12 2015, 13:33

Jane.N

It does irritate a bit but in fairness both their games look like tv games irrespective of who they are! Ours just don't.

I think we have had a fair amount of press and tv over the last few cup runs and Chasetown fell lucky with tv during their cup run a few years ago.

20FA Cup Second Round Draw. Empty Re: FA Cup Second Round Draw. Thu Nov 12 2015, 15:27

sirsmileriiii

Jane.N wrote:I think we have had a fair amount of press and tv over the last few cup runs and Chasetown fell lucky with tv during their cup run a few years ago.

And we have got Football Focus coming live from Amblecote on the day, plus extended highlights on MOTD as well aparently.

So it won't be like the last time we appeared in this round at Stevenage, where they only highlights they showed from the 1st half was their goal in the 44th minute Mad

21FA Cup Second Round Draw. Empty Re: FA Cup Second Round Draw. Thu Nov 12 2015, 17:42

Dave the Glassboy

Dave the Glassboy

lyelad wrote:On the subject of round 2 in the fa cup has anyone got any opinions on salford being on tv for a second time.

In fairness there's not that many obvious TV games. I'd called the Salford and Grimsby games as being obvious choices although I'd have gone with Welling v Carlisle rather than Rochdale v Bury,

Last edited by Dave the Glassboy on Sat Nov 14 2015, 19:01; edited 1 time in total

22FA Cup Second Round Draw. Empty Re: FA Cup Second Round Draw. Thu Nov 12 2015, 20:37

oldhillglassboy

To be fair both Salford games stick out a country mile for TV coverage, although if they where playing the Lye I think the BBC would show it with the class of 92 hysteria!

Salford, Grimsby, Welling looked by far the obvious ones, what on earth they are thinking with Rochdale V Bury, it's local derby yes but I think our game would have held more appeal than that. At least we are on the Saturday, although it causes me a headache with a train trip I booked back in July, that I have to now forgo, i'm more fortunate than a chap down the Lye the other night who lands back at Birmingham airport at 1.45pm on Saturday the 5th! also not anticipating FA Cup 2nd round action. I wonder if there's any financial gain for extended highlights and football focus? with the latter normally on 12 to 1, that may mean an earlier kick off time than 3.00pm I suspect.

I read there's no temporary stands as part of the agreement with the cricket club who didn't want that happening again, which to be honest after the muddy path that was left last time, where the grass only started to grow back just before the start of the cricket season as I recall, I can't say I blame them.

23FA Cup Second Round Draw. Empty Re: FA Cup Second Round Draw. Wed Nov 25 2015, 22:36

sirsmileriiii

Pity our match wasn't picked as a live game because it's just been announced that it is a complete sell out. And in record time apparently Very Happy

So if you didn't get a ticket then it looks like you've had it unless it's live on a radio station, but then again if it had been picked for TV then it might not be a sell out either. So personally I am pleased.

I just hope that a full house means plenty of noise.

COYG cheers

24FA Cup Second Round Draw. Empty Re: FA Cup Second Round Draw. Wed Nov 25 2015, 22:55

oldhillglassboy

On Monday I heard a fair few people had signed up as members, obviously a lot!. I knew this match would sell out in a flash once tickets where available, but to sell out without needing to put any on general sale, i'm shocked and can well imagine some people who won't have tickets (and the reaction that will produce). I'll go and lock mine in the safe I think!

25FA Cup Second Round Draw. Empty Re: FA Cup Second Round Draw. Thu Nov 26 2015, 14:50

sirsmileriiii

oldhillglassboy wrote:
I'll go and lock mine in the safe I think!

Either that or sell it to the highest bidder, I'm beginning to wish I'd bought 2 tickets now Wink

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum