Stourbridge Football Club-Unofficial Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Stourbridge Football Club-Unofficial Forum

The latest views on the Glassboys

You are not connected. Please login or register

Banbury United away.

+3
Jack
Taniwha
Devil's Advocate
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Banbury United away. Empty Banbury United away. Sun Dec 29 2013, 00:39

Devil's Advocate

This already has the feeling of a "must win" match after the disappointment of Saturday's result.

I fear we're already playing for the last play off spot with the way five of the other top six teams are performing week after week.

2Banbury United away. Empty Re: Banbury United away. Sun Dec 29 2013, 07:07

Taniwha

The table looks pretty tight below Hemel with a number of teams in a good position for the play off spots. I was quite surprised with how many games in hand Poole have given that they didn't have a cup run (to my recollection anyway).

In order to keep pace with all of those teams, I agree it has the feel of a must win. I cannot be there due to family commitments unfortunately so good luck to the team and lets hope we can start off the new year with 3 points!

3Banbury United away. Empty Re: Banbury United away. Sun Dec 29 2013, 10:17

Jack

Jack
Admin

Only a win here will make Yesterday's point anything like a good result. Don't agree we're restricted to the last place though. All it needs is a team to go on a run like we did last year and it opens it all up. Having said that, think the title is gone now. Even if we clawed back a gap Hemel just look to good for anyone.

Looking forward to this one, hopefully there's a decent Stour following as there usually is and it's not that far away either.

https://glassboys.forumotion.com

4Banbury United away. Empty Re: Banbury United away. Sun Dec 29 2013, 11:54

Jack wrote:Looking forward to this one, hopefully there's a decent Stour following as there usually is and it's not that far away either.

Just remember that if you're planning on going by train, it is a sunday service. And a couple of seasons ago we were just arriving at Banbury station on the train, when we were told that the game had been P-P due to a frozen pitch, which was very strange as there was no ice to be seen anywhere else on the journey there. So with the present weather conditions the game could be off, luckily for me I am unable to make it which doesn't really bother me as we never seem to do well there Wink 

5Banbury United away. Empty Re: Banbury United away. Sun Dec 29 2013, 12:16

brockmoor

brockmoor

Jack wrote:Only a win here will make Yesterday's point anything like a good result. Don't agree we're restricted to the last place though. All it needs is a team to go on a run like we did last year and it opens it all up. Having said that, think the title is gone now. Even if we clawed back a gap Hemel just look to good for anyone.

Looking forward to this one, hopefully there's a decent Stour following as there usually is and it's not that far away either.

You only 'think' the title maybe gone?

I can 'confirm' the title is gone.  Laughing 

6Banbury United away. Empty Re: Banbury United away. Sun Dec 29 2013, 13:13

TRM

A bit early to be calling any game "must win" but I think it's getting/got to that stage now, given what the teams above are doing. Hemel going well, Poole likewise, Cambridge won 6 out of 6...

Bideford are stumbling a bit, Chesham have dropped a few points, but there are others, like Arlesey, who are creeping up from below.

On the other hand, we've got 38 points from (just about) half our fixtures. Even if we only draw on Wednesday that will give us 39 at the halfway point, and I'd say 78 should be enough to get into the play-offs. We know we can do better so I'm not suicidal about the play-offs at the moment.

I agree that the Title is gone, although one thing worth mentioning is that Hemel have not played us, Chesham, Poole or Bideford at all yet. They also still have to play Biggleswade twice, Cambridge at home, Hungerford and Arlesey away. Not an easy fixture list. However, even if we catch Hemel, we've still got to overhaul all the others as well. Barring a freak run I don't think it's doable.

Back to Banbury - forecast not great for the next few days, so if it is on the pitch will be heavy - it's poor down there at the best of times. Don't expect much silky football - we'll need to slog it out and be prepared for a battle. Why does my mind keep going back to that night at Burnham...?

7Banbury United away. Empty Re: Banbury United away. Sun Dec 29 2013, 13:29

TRM

Leon is suspended, so there will have to be some sort of reorganisation. Thoughts?

8Banbury United away. Empty Re: Banbury United away. Sun Dec 29 2013, 13:34

stoursi

Francis went off yesterday and Leon ended up at left back.

Hope Francis is fit otherwise we could be struggling for a left back.

Our squad is down to the bare bones at present as a youth team on the bench again yesterday.

9Banbury United away. Empty Re: Banbury United away. Sun Dec 29 2013, 14:28

brockmoor

brockmoor

stoursi wrote:

Our squad is down to the bare bones at present as a youth team on the bench again yesterday.

Thats what happens when your not successful and your living week by week with no money.......

Oh wait, ignore the above! Laughing

10Banbury United away. Empty Re: Banbury United away. Sun Dec 29 2013, 16:18

TRM

TRM wrote:...one thing worth mentioning is that Hemel have not played us, Chesham, Poole or Bideford at all yet. They also still have to play Biggleswade twice, Cambridge at home, Hungerford and Arlesey away. Not an easy fixture list.

Hemel are at Chesham on Wednesday. 1.00 ko - shame it's not 12.00 otherwise it would be possible to do both games, just...!

11Banbury United away. Empty Re: Banbury United away. Mon Dec 30 2013, 20:39

TRM

A little ahead of myself, perhaps, but I tweeted Banbury today asking about prospects for Wednesday.

The reply was, "V wet today. We did have it verti-drained to help drainage. Very keen to get the game on if we can."

I thought it best not to enquire whether they intended to have the pitch marked this time...

12Banbury United away. Empty Re: Banbury United away. Tue Dec 31 2013, 07:43

Tricky Tree

Tricky Tree

Looking at the forecast I think it'll be off...you can bet any money they'll call it off AFTER I've paid for my train ticket.

13Banbury United away. Empty Re: Banbury United away. Tue Dec 31 2013, 15:27

TRM

Clive tells me there WILL be an inspection at Banbury tomorrow morning, but no confirmation yet of what time.

I will post any news on here as soon as I know anything, either about the time of the inspection or its outcome.

14Banbury United away. Empty Re: Banbury United away. Tue Dec 31 2013, 15:33

TRM

Post on Banbury's forum...

"Popped down to the ground this afternoon

Expected to find pools of water all over the pitch

However, that was not the case. Not surprisingly it was very wet but just a few small patches of surface water which as there is not a lot of rain forecast overnight will probably be gone by morning

But I notice the forecast is for very heavy rain between 9.00 and 3.00 tomorrow and if that is the case personally I doubt the pitch will take that. Major concern is the timing of the heavy rain tomorrow as if a local ref says its fit at say 10.00 am what can you do!!"

15Banbury United away. Empty Re: Banbury United away. Wed Jan 01 2014, 10:49

TRM

Inspection "around 12". Pitch was playable earlier this morning when a local ref had a look.

16Banbury United away. Empty Re: Banbury United away. Wed Jan 01 2014, 11:49

Tricky Tree

Tricky Tree

GAME OFF

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum