Stourbridge Football Club-Unofficial Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Stourbridge Football Club-Unofficial Forum

The latest views on the Glassboys

You are not connected. Please login or register

Banbury in the fat

+8
oldhillglassboy
Nathan Gulliver
Stourbridge Lion
stoursi
dave w
TRM
Devil's Advocate
stour_boy
12 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Banbury in the fat Empty Banbury in the fat Wed Oct 16 2013, 10:06

stour_boy

stour_boy

So, is anyone up for this match? If we had a home draw in the FA Cup I'd expect a lower crowd because of the number of home games lately and people's finances may be stretched (much like the Corby game).

However now that we're away next week hopefully people will be tempted to come down. It's a winnable game and with no higher ranked teams in the competition in either this round or the next round it's an ideal chance to rack up some more prize money and progress in another FA competition.

An outright result rather than a draw would be ideal however, with one eye on the next Saturday's FA Cup tie.

2Banbury in the fat Empty Re: Banbury in the fat Wed Oct 16 2013, 10:47

Devil's Advocate

stour_boy wrote:So, is anyone up for this match? If we had a home draw in the FA Cup I'd expect a lower crowd because of the number of home games lately and people's finances may be stretched (much like the Corby game).

However now that we're away next week hopefully people will be tempted to come down. It's a winnable game and with no higher ranked teams in the competition in either this round or the next round it's an ideal chance to rack up some more prize money and progress in another FA competition.

An outright result rather than a draw would be ideal however, with one eye on the next Saturday's FA Cup tie.
I'm a part time supporter so you'll find me at Stoke watching Albion :-]]

Updates by text will be appreciated.

3Banbury in the fat Empty Re: Banbury in the fat Wed Oct 16 2013, 12:46

TRM

Might be giving this one a miss myself as well. A few domestic things to do, and need to stock up on the brownie points to swing the Wukkie trip, what with us supposed to be getting ready to go on holiday the next day!

Banbury have made a better start to the season than I'd have expected, but I still see this as a "should win". A good run in the Trophy - at least to the stage where the Proper Conference clubs come in - is long overdue.

4Banbury in the fat Empty Re: Banbury in the fat Wed Oct 16 2013, 13:19

dave w

I might - only might - even be able to make this one, provided there's no outbreaks of plague in South Birmingham/avalanches on the line/earthquakes on the San Cradley faultline.

5Banbury in the fat Empty Re: Banbury in the fat Wed Oct 16 2013, 13:30

stoursi

Sounds like the part timer supporters are not going to this game.

6Banbury in the fat Empty Re: Banbury in the fat Wed Oct 16 2013, 13:34

TRM

dave w wrote:I might - only might - even be able to make this one, provided there's no outbreaks of plague in South Birmingham/avalanches on the line/earthquakes on the San Cradley faultline.
Or more likely cable thefts near Hartlebury...

7Banbury in the fat Empty Re: Banbury in the fat Wed Oct 16 2013, 13:35

dave w

TRM wrote:
dave w wrote:I might - only might - even be able to make this one, provided there's no outbreaks of plague in South Birmingham/avalanches on the line/earthquakes on the San Cradley faultline.
A hotbed of crime...

8Banbury in the fat Empty Re: Banbury in the fat Wed Oct 16 2013, 13:37

TRM

dave w wrote:
TRM wrote:
A hotbed of crime...
It has been lately. Every couple of days, it seems.

9Banbury in the fat Empty Re: Banbury in the fat Wed Oct 16 2013, 13:47

stour_boy

stour_boy

Missing this one, my first home match missed of the season. Will probably be a 4-3 or 5-4 therefore.

Long distance relationships and a glut of home matches on successive Saturdays don't always mix, so I conceded this weekend a while back with a potential home FA Cup 4Q tie, plus two early November home matches coming up!!

On the plus side I don't think she's twigged yet that my schedule of visits coincidentally coincides with our away fixtures...

10Banbury in the fat Empty Re: Banbury in the fat Wed Oct 16 2013, 15:14

Stourbridge Lion

Stourbridge Lion

This "Part timer" will be there Laughing   Shame the same can't be said for Workington and any potential replay due to half term holidays, gutted!!  Expect us to be well up for it as Stour Boy has said there is £2,700 up for grabs and it would be nice to go into the FA Cup game with the winning run still intact,what is the furthest we have progressed in this tournament in past seasons don't recall us going far in my time watching the Glassboys (TRM?)  My prediction a tight affair we us edging it 2-1 in front of 275 only here for the voucher Gloryhunters!  BTW a big welcome to Nathan,DA has sensibly suggested a Car Sharing thread how long before Nath requests a Bed Sharing one:lol:

11Banbury in the fat Empty Re: Banbury in the fat Wed Oct 16 2013, 15:27

stour_boy

stour_boy

We made the Quarter Finals in 1971.

Full record courtesy of the Football Club History Database:

F.A. TROPHY
1969-70 1Q DUDLEY TOWN A 2-1
2Q WELTON ROVERS H 1-1
2Qr WELTON ROVERS A 4-1
3Q HALESOWEN TOWN H 3-2
1 NORTHWICH VICTORIA H 5-1
2 KETTERING TOWN H 1-1
2r KETTERING TOWN A 1-2
1970-71 3Q TAUNTON TOWN A 1-0
1 BRIDGWATER TOWN H 4-3
2 ROMFORD {2} A 1-1
2r ROMFORD {2} H 2-1
3 CHORLEY A 0-0
3r CHORLEY H 2-0
QF YEOVIL TOWN A 0-2
1971-72 1 LOWESTOFT TOWN H 0-0
1r LOWESTOFT TOWN A 0-2
1972-73 1 LLANELLI H 2-1
2 HILLINGDON BOROUGH H 3-0
3 MORECAMBE H 1-1
3r MORECAMBE A 1-3
1973-74 1 BEDWORTH UNITED A 3-2
2 BEDFORD TOWN A 0-1
1974-75 1 TELFORD UNITED H 2-2
1r TELFORD UNITED A 0-4
1975-76 1 HARWICH & PARKESTON A 0-3
1976-77 3Q BANBURY UNITED H 1-2
1977-78 1Q REDDITCH UNITED H 1-1
1Qr REDDITCH UNITED A 3-5 @ ?
1978-79 PRE ARNOLD A 1-1
PREr ARNOLD H 0-1
1979-80 PRE ALVECHURCH H 1-5
1980-81 1Q WORKSOP TOWN A 2-1
2Q DUDLEY TOWN A 0-0
2Qr DUDLEY TOWN H 3-2
3Q BURTON ALBION A 1-3
1981-82 1Q SUTTON COLDFIELD TOWN H 1-2
1982-83 1Q RHYL H 0-0
1Qr RHYL A 0-2
1983-84 1Qr SUTTON TOWN [ASHFIELD] H 1-2
1984-85 1Q SUTTON TOWN [ASHFIELD] H 2-1
2Q CAMBRIDGE CITY A 5-2 @ Soham Town Rangers
3Q BROMLEY A 1-1
3Qr BROMLEY H 2-0
1 ENFIELD A 1-5
1985-86 1Q HEDNESFORD TOWN H 1-2
1986-87 1Q REDDITCH UNITED H 1-0
2Q ALFRETON TOWN H 0-2
1987-88 1Q COVENTRY SPORTING H 0-0
1Qr COVENTRY SPORTING A 3-1
2Q MOOR GREEN H 1-0
3Q RHYL H 1-2
1988-89 1Q BEDWORTH UNITED A 0-1
1989-90 2Q WITNEY TOWN A 0-3
1990-91 1Q UXBRIDGE A 1-1
1Qr UXBRIDGE H 0-2
1991-92 1Q CHALFONT ST PETER A 2-3
1992-93 2Q BILLERICAY TOWN A 4-3
3Q LEEK TOWN H 1-4
1993-94 2Q HALESOWEN TOWN H 0-1
1994-95 1Q GAINSBOROUGH TRINITY H 3-6
1995-96 1Q FRICKLEY ATHLETIC H 1-2
1996-97 1Q BALDOCK TOWN{1} A 2-3
1997-98 2Q GREAT HARWOOD TOWN H 1-1
2Qr GREAT HARWOOD TOWN A 1-3
1998-99 1 BRADFORD PARK AVENUE A 0-3
1999-00 1 BLYTH SPARTANS A 0-3
2006-07 PRE MALVERN TOWN A 4-0
1Q MERTHYR TYDFIL A 0-2
2007-08 1Q GLOUCESTER CITY H 1-1
1Qr GLOUCESTER CITY A 0-2
2008-09 1Q SALFORD CITY H 6-0
2Q EVESHAM UNITED H 2-1
3Q HUCKNALL TOWN H 3-2
1 STALYBRIDGE CELTIC H 1-6
2009-10 1Q LEAMINGTON A 2-1
2Q BUXTON A 1-0
3Q SOUTHPORT H 0-0
3Qr SOUTHPORT A 2-4
2010-11 1Q BRIDGWATER TOWN A 3-1
2Q RUSHALL OLYMPIC A 1-0
3Q DROYLSDEN A 2-3
2011-12 1Q REDDITCH UNITED H 2-1
2Q KENDAL TOWN H 3-3
2Qr KENDAL TOWN A 6-0
3Q CHESTER H 0-2
2012-13 1Q ILKESTON H 0-1

12Banbury in the fat Empty Re: Banbury in the fat Wed Oct 16 2013, 15:35

Stourbridge Lion

Stourbridge Lion

Thanks Stour Boy interesting stuff! What a fantastic record we had in the competition 1969-71,Northwich Victoria 5-1 at home stands out.

13Banbury in the fat Empty Re: Banbury in the fat Wed Oct 16 2013, 15:41

TRM

Blimey - there's a few memories in that list...

Billericay, Uxbridge, Chalfont, Great Harwood, Blyth.

The best run in my memory was when we went to Enfield in 84/85, although I missed that game due to school (I was at OSH at the time). Stalybridge matched that run, but the Enfield game was in January, rather than before Christmas, so it "feels" like it was a longer run! I think the format had changed in between times as well.

14Banbury in the fat Empty Re: Banbury in the fat Wed Oct 16 2013, 15:46

Nathan Gulliver

Should be another game we go into with a degree of confidence,although the departure of macca and both Lloydy and big Nath apparently struggling to be fit, the defence looks a bit depleted to say the least! Desperately in need of drafting in a bit of cover.

Have also noticed a slight blip in Banbury's results of late,but as I think TRM commented on,they have had a far better start to the season than I had anticipated.

My prediction: 3-2 stour, crowd of 335

15Banbury in the fat Empty Re: Banbury in the fat Wed Oct 16 2013, 17:45

Devil's Advocate

Stourbridge Lion wrote:This "Part timer" will be there Laughing   Shame the same can't be said for Workington and any potential replay due to half term holidays, gutted!!  Expect us to be well up for it as Stour Boy has said there is £2,700 up for grabs and it would be nice to go into the FA Cup game with the winning run still intact,what is the furthest we have progressed in this tournament in past seasons don't recall us going far in my time watching the Glassboys (TRM?)  My prediction a tight affair we us edging it 2-1 in front of 275 only here for the voucher Gloryhunters!  BTW a big welcome to Nathan,DA has sensibly suggested a Car Sharing thread how long before Nath requests a Bed Sharing one:lol:

That last bit made me loff out loud :-]]

16Banbury in the fat Empty Re: Banbury in the fat Wed Oct 16 2013, 19:08

oldhillglassboy

A game we should win and in the case of prize money, every little helps! that said i'd take defeat in exchange for progressing past Workington. Would expect a similar gate (291) to that we had against Redditch two years ago just before FA Cup 4Q. Not attractive opposition and the St Neots match "down the road" might attract a gate similar or higher.

17Banbury in the fat Empty Re: Banbury in the fat Wed Oct 16 2013, 20:10

Tricky Tree

Tricky Tree

Two in a row missed for me as I'm taking the boys to watch the tricky tree's.
I'm hoping it won't be three in a row the week after!!!
Updates please people.

When I put "three in a row" I nearly put three in a bed just to get Nath worked up.

18Banbury in the fat Empty Re: Banbury in the fat Thu Oct 17 2013, 12:48

TRM

From the Stourbridge News...

"However, Hackett does have defensive concerns after lynch-pin Nathan Bennett limped off early in the game against Curzon and was replaced by Paul Lloyd, who himself is already struggling with a knee problem and has little chance of featuring in this Saturday’s FA Trophy contest at home to Banbury United.

Hackett must also rule out Ben Billingham who undergoes a minor operation this weekend which could rule him out for upto four weeks."

http://www.stourbridgenews.co.uk/sport/football/sfc/evo_stik_southern_premier_2013_2014/read_article/10745478.We_have_to_perform_to_progress___claims_Hackett/

19Banbury in the fat Empty Re: Banbury in the fat Thu Oct 17 2013, 19:33

Nathan Gulliver

With our injury concerns at the moment,we really should be thankful for a free midweek next week. I do hope though that we will still approach the Banbury game totally focused and not with half a mind on Workington. When the FA Cup is all done with for another year,the FA Trophy is a competition that we could and should be in there seriously competing in. You only have to look at wealdstone last season,a team from our level reaching the semi's. It can be done.

20Banbury in the fat Empty Re: Banbury in the fat Thu Oct 17 2013, 19:51

TRM

Agree with that, Nathan, but it's a tough one for Gary. The Cup is obviously a much bigger deal right now, but the Trophy is a serious opportunity to progress to the later stages with a bit of luck in the draw. Some tricky decisions maybe with injuries, whether to risk them on Saturday and hope there is no reaction which will keep a player out of the Workington game.

I would say we don't want a replay, but we were in the same position with the Kendal match two years ago and look how that turned out!

21Banbury in the fat Empty Re: Banbury in the fat Thu Oct 17 2013, 20:06

Nathan Gulliver

TRM wrote:Agree with that, Nathan, but it's a tough one for Gary. The Cup is obviously a much bigger deal right now, but the Trophy is a serious opportunity to progress to the later stages with a bit of luck in the draw. Some tricky decisions maybe with injuries, whether to risk them on Saturday and hope there is no reaction which will keep a player out of the Workington game.

I would say we don't want a replay, but we were in the same position with the Kendal match two years ago and look how that turned out!
Agree totally, what could have been an energy sapping,unwanted replay up at Kendal turned into an amazing night and set us up perfectly for the Plymouth match just four days later. Let's hope Cumbria continues to be a lucky county for us.

22Banbury in the fat Empty Re: Banbury in the fat Thu Oct 17 2013, 20:17

TRM

As certain as I can be that Kendal was our first ever game in Cumbria, and this will be our second. Chances of a repeat...?

23Banbury in the fat Empty Re: Banbury in the fat Fri Oct 18 2013, 11:06

TRM

Well now, it's been a fun week on here, but this game is what we should be concentrating on. A small part of me wouldn't mind a replay because two whole midweeks without a game seems very sparse at this time of year! However, it's only a small part (missus!) - the rest of me wants to thrape them mercilessly!

3-1 to Stour. Crowd of 333.

24Banbury in the fat Empty Re: Banbury in the fat Fri Oct 18 2013, 11:14

Tricky Tree

Tricky Tree

1-1.....362

25Banbury in the fat Empty Re: Banbury in the fat Sat Oct 19 2013, 16:30

stour_boy

stour_boy

Currently 2-1 up: Rowe and Agbor

Courtesy of Banbury twitter

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]