Stourbridge Football Club-Unofficial Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Stourbridge Football Club-Unofficial Forum

The latest views on the Glassboys

You are not connected. Please login or register

Workington

+20
StourLeedsMark
Paranoid Android
stoursi
UlsterJim
PhilC
Forza
DY9 Stour
brockmoor
baz
NickSFCB
west cumberland marrs
workington
Dave the Glassboy
Devil's Advocate
stour_boy
Tricky Tree
Nathan Gulliver
Jack
Brian Handy
TRM
24 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 8]

51Workington - Page 3 Empty Re: Workington Tue Oct 22 2013, 20:36

brockmoor

brockmoor

You'll be lucky to get a reasonable second hand coach for under £20k Wink

52Workington - Page 3 Empty Re: Workington Tue Oct 22 2013, 20:44

Nathan Gulliver

brockmoor wrote:You'll be lucky to get a reasonable second hand coach for under £20k Wink

You would still expect to get a good few years use out of a decent 2nd hand coach. If we are spending at least £12,500 a season,even with fuel costs,the coach would pay for itself if we kept it for 3 years. With Andy P having haulage business,we should been seen ok for repairs and services,etc.

53Workington - Page 3 Empty Re: Workington Tue Oct 22 2013, 20:54

Devil's Advocate

Nathan Gulliver wrote:
brockmoor wrote:You'll be lucky to get a reasonable second hand coach for under £20k Wink
You would still expect to get a good few years use out of a decent 2nd hand coach. If we are spending at least £12,500 a season,even with fuel costs,the coach would pay for itself if we kept it for 3 years. With Andy P having haulage business,we should been seen ok for repairs and services,etc.
Although i'm a fan of doing this Nath the maths isn't quite as simple as you suggest because you have to factor in the driver's wages and the servicing/insurance costs,just because Andy P own's the haulage company it's not fair to expect him to pick up the tab for running the thing.

I look upon these things as long term projects and if over a period of of a decade it can cause a massive saving on the one hand but also become an earner in other ways because not only can seats be sold to away fan's and possibly rented out to other clubs on days when we don't need it.

I gather we have £100k in the bank in case we get promoted,that money is earning "diddley squat" in the bank,personally i'd be using it in other ways to create more money.

54Workington - Page 3 Empty Re: Workington Tue Oct 22 2013, 21:57

Nathan Gulliver

Devil's Advocate wrote:

I gather we have £100k in the bank in case we get promoted,that money is earning "diddley squat" in the bank,personally i'd be using it in other ways to create more money.

Another difficult one. If only we knew exactly where we stood with the council over the ground situation we would be in a clearer position as to where we would be better off investing the money put aside for ground developments.

55Workington - Page 3 Empty Re: Workington Wed Oct 23 2013, 08:24

[/quote]Once your ban is completed Nath we could put you forward as driver,"Confession's of a bus driver" would then make us a fortune in additional sales.

Women like a man in uniform.[/quote]
With the people that would be on the coach it sounds more like a "Carry On" film to me lol! 

56Workington - Page 3 Empty Re: Workington Wed Oct 23 2013, 10:52

TRM

Must confess I'm a bit worried about their 0-3 defeat at Harrogate last night. Reading their forum there is a lot of disgruntlement and plenty of calls for the manager's head.

If there was to be a change of management this week, we all know how often teams respond by going out and performing for the new boss or the caretaker.

57Workington - Page 3 Empty Re: Workington Wed Oct 23 2013, 10:56

baz

But sure i read as well, they rested a few players?

58Workington - Page 3 Empty Re: Workington Wed Oct 23 2013, 20:06

TRM

baz wrote:But sure i read as well, they rested a few players?
Can't be sure, but from their forum it seems most of their supporters see it as a case of the manager making unnecessary and unfathomable changes after a good draw at home to the League leaders.

Be that as it may, a reminder of the two blogs following the Cup through the rounds and which will "converge" on Saturday.

Following us (having previously been following Curzon Ashton - the Giant Killing Adventure:

http://thegiantkillingadventure.blogspot.co.uk/

And following Workington - the Casual Hopper:

http://ollyfa.wordpress.com/

59Workington - Page 3 Empty Re: Workington Wed Oct 23 2013, 22:23

stour_boy

stour_boy

We seem to be playing Stourbridge FC on Saturday now! http://www.stourbridgefc.com/s/fixtures-results-61056.html

60Workington - Page 3 Empty Re: Workington Wed Oct 23 2013, 22:44

TRM

I'd snap another club's hand off if they offered us that much for Cliffy...

61Workington - Page 3 Empty Re: Workington Wed Oct 23 2013, 22:52

Dave the Glassboy

Dave the Glassboy

With the people that would be on the coach it sounds more like a "Carry On" film to me lol! 
Nathan's normally up for a bit of carrying on!

Laughing 

62Workington - Page 3 Empty Re: Workington Wed Oct 23 2013, 22:58

TRM

stour_boy wrote:We seem to be playing Stourbridge FC on Saturday now! http://www.stourbridgefc.com/s/fixtures-results-61056.html
I'll have £20 on Stourbridge, then... Each way, obviously!

63Workington - Page 3 Empty Re: Workington Thu Oct 24 2013, 18:03

TRM

Workington reserves home game called off tonight due to a waterlogged pitch. May just be precautionary with one eye on Saturday, of course.

BBC forecast for Workington now saying dry until 6am tomorrow, then heavy rain tomorrow morning and showers tomorrow afternoon. Mostly dry overnight Friday and all day Saturday until heavy rain from 4 pm. It said heavy rain from 1 pm earlier, so hopefully that will go back even further and we'll get a completely dry afternoon.

64Workington - Page 3 Empty Re: Workington Thu Oct 24 2013, 18:08

Jack

Jack
Admin

So how'd we go into this? Attack em front the start or try and contain them?

https://glassboys.forumotion.com

65Workington - Page 3 Empty Re: Workington Thu Oct 24 2013, 18:12

Devil's Advocate

Jack wrote:So how'd we go into this? Attack em front the start or try and contain them?
"From" not "front" Jack and can we have it re written in English please? :-]]

66Workington - Page 3 Empty Re: Workington Thu Oct 24 2013, 18:13

Jack

Jack
Admin

Sorry Sir. When do you want the homework in for? Wink

https://glassboys.forumotion.com

67Workington - Page 3 Empty Re: Workington Thu Oct 24 2013, 18:16

Devil's Advocate

Jack wrote:Sorry Sir. When do you want the homework in for? Wink
Hand it in at Workington to TRM.........i believe he's the schoolmaster Jack.

Beware.......he may bring his cane with him!

68Workington - Page 3 Empty Re: Workington Thu Oct 24 2013, 19:27

DY9 Stour

On the betting front Stour are a shade under 2/1... best price 15/8 with bet victor while workington are favs at 11/8.

They have prob got it about right..i was looking for 5/2 for Stour..if i do find that price i will have a decent dabble.

Hope everyone has a safe trip north..can't wait! pirat 

69Workington - Page 3 Empty Re: Workington Thu Oct 24 2013, 20:31

Nathan Gulliver

DY9 Stour wrote:On the betting front Stour are a shade under 2/1... best price 15/8 with bet victor while workington are favs at 11/8.

They have prob got it about right..i was looking for 5/2 for Stour..if i do find that price i will have a decent dabble.

Hope everyone has a safe trip north..can't wait! pirat 

I was also thinking we would have been about 9/4 - 5/2. Can't believe we are that short (13/8 in places). Bookies obviously not taking many chances with us,ultimate compliment I suppose.

70Workington - Page 3 Empty Re: Workington Thu Oct 24 2013, 20:37

TRM

There are two factors here, I guess (and I'm not a betting expert by any means).

1. There are only five places between us in the pyramid - though Workington do have home advantage.

2. Bookies are notoriously ignorant of non-League football (though they are a bit more clued up nowadays) and won't want to be caught out by a "shock", so they'll hedge their bets a little.

71Workington - Page 3 Empty Re: Workington Thu Oct 24 2013, 21:05

brockmoor

brockmoor

Completely agree TRM. Bookmakers as a norm offer better value on non league games. At 15/8 I wouldnt be getting involved in a Stourbridge win neither.
I had a lovely price on the Baggies U21's to beat Liverpool U21's on Sunday, Baggies had a number of fringe first teamers playing such as Gera, Thorne & Vydra, I got a juicy 9/4 and they duly obliged 4-2. Thats the sort of value you get when you look down the football pyramid and beyond. Smile

72Workington - Page 3 Empty Re: Workington Thu Oct 24 2013, 21:07

Nathan Gulliver

TRM wrote:There are two factors here, I guess (and I'm not a betting expert by any means).

1. There are only five places between us in the pyramid - though Workington do have home advantage.

2. Bookies are notoriously ignorant of non-League football (though they are a bit more clued up nowadays) and won't want to be caught out by a "shock", so they'll hedge their bets a little.
Bookies have taken a number of hits on non-league football in recent years. Games involving Rushden when they first hit the buffers were initially wrongly priced by the bookmakers. They were stung until it became common knowledge that they were sending out a youth team. Same happened with Weymouth and Kettering in their final Conference seasons. Since then as TRM rightly points out,the bookies are far more thorough in their knowledge of the non-league game. Days of being 'in the know' and being able to get one over on them are generally over!

I did manage to pull of a decent touch at Totton,opening game this season. We were as short as 1/3 to win the game but 4/5 to win by at least 2 goals. Thought that was too good to miss. Had it in a treble with Peterborough United and Mo Farrah!

73Workington - Page 3 Empty Re: Workington Thu Oct 24 2013, 21:10

Forza

The game on Saturday will be my first following Stourbridge away. Really looking forward to it, just hope the weather holds out now.Very Happy

74Workington - Page 3 Empty Re: Workington Thu Oct 24 2013, 21:11

Tricky Tree

Tricky Tree

I hate to do this and it does need to stop...but...off a decent touch Nath not of a decent touch...sorry.

75Workington - Page 3 Empty Re: Workington Thu Oct 24 2013, 21:18

TRM

Forza wrote:The game on Saturday will be my first following Stourbridge away. Really looking forward to it, just hope the weather holds out now.Very Happy
Yayyyyy!!!! Another new forum member!!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy 

Welcome to our little community!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 8]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum