Stourbridge Football Club-Unofficial Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Stourbridge Football Club-Unofficial Forum

The latest views on the Glassboys

You are not connected. Please login or register

International Players at Amblecote

+5
the nephew of god
flexcavana
UlsterJim
Devil's Advocate
TRM
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1International Players at Amblecote Empty International Players at Amblecote Wed Oct 09 2013, 14:01

TRM

I know we had a thread on this on one of the old forums.

After last night, we can add Lee Hendrie's name to the list.

Devil's Advocate

I presume Anya of Watford and Nigel Clough have previously been mentioned?

Dear old Willie Carr also.

I think Geoff Hurst was only manager of Telford back in 78 when they played us at Amblecote.

TRM

Am I being thick? Anya of Watford?

Devil's Advocate

TRM wrote:Am I being thick? Anya of Watford?
Anya plays for Scotland now and was part of Morrell Maison's influx of players at Halesowen.

Remember when they turned up with "Fat Ron" Atkinson in the dugout about 6 years ago?

UlsterJim

UlsterJim

Go on then Richard give us a full list, it would make interesting reading. Here are the ones I know off:

Warren Feeney (Plymouth Argyle - FA Cup)
Steve Jones (Walsall - FA Cup)
Robin Shroot (Stevenage - FA Cup)

The first two were full internationals for Northern Ireland with Shroot representing Northern Ireland at U21.

http://www.nibadges.com

UlsterJim

UlsterJim

Dwight Yorke played for Villa at Amblecote in the early 90's, although I'm not sure whether he had been capped for T&T at this stage.

Devil's Advocate

UlsterJim wrote:Go on then Richard give us a full list, it would make interesting reading.  Here are the ones I know off:

The first two were full internationals for Northern Ireland with Shroot representing Northern Ireland at U21.
Northern Ireland's player's don't count as internationals.

If you can't beat a team of postmen and customs officials then international status should be denied.

It's to be hoped they don't draw Gibraltor in the next Euros........they'll be beaten by a team full of monkeys.

TRM

I'd include anybody who has been capped before or after they played at Amblecote - just to flesh it out as much as possible!

Not sure I'd count U21s though.

To add to the ones already mentioned (and there may well be more than just these)...

Mark Lawrenson (ROI and Corby Town)
Nathan Blake (Wales and Cardiff City)
Jim McDonagh (ROI and Spalding Utd, I think)
Wayne Dyer (Montserat and Stourbridge)

Ex-Internationals who managed teams at Stour...

Other than Hurst, off the top of my head Jan Molby (Kiddy) is the only one I can think of but there must be others, surely?

TRM

Did Alan Smith (the Arsenal one) ever play at Amblecote during his time with Alvechurch? Never heard anybody mention it if he did.

Pretty sure David Kelly didn't, before anybody mentions him.

I remember when Smith made his England debut and the commentator said he'd never played for England before at any level - wrong, because he'd played for what was then the England Non-League team.

10International Players at Amblecote Empty Re: International Players at Amblecote Wed Oct 09 2013, 18:19

UlsterJim

UlsterJim

[quote="Devil's Advocate"]
UlsterJim wrote:Go on then Richard give us a full list, it would make interesting reading.  Here are the ones I know off:

Northern Ireland's player's don't count as internationals.

If you can't beat a team of postmen and customs officials then international status should be denied.

/quote]

They had no problems beating a team of over hyped, over paid prima donnas the last time they played them. Healy, Healy.

11International Players at Amblecote Empty Re: International Players at Amblecote Wed Oct 09 2013, 19:50

Devil's Advocate

Frank Worthington came to Amblecote as manager as one of the Hinckley sides in the late 80's,i was at the match but can't remember if he played.

He still had the ponytail at the back but had Jim's hairstyle on top :-]]

12International Players at Amblecote Empty Re: International Players at Amblecote Wed Oct 09 2013, 20:30

TRM

Devil's Advocate wrote:Frank Worthington came to Amblecote as manager as one of the Hinckley sides in the late 80's,i was at the match but can't remember if he played.

He still had the ponytail at the back but had Jim's hairstyle on top :-]]
I think it was right at the end of the 90/91 Title winning season - according to Wikipedia that's the only season he was with Hinckley Town.

13International Players at Amblecote Empty Re: International Players at Amblecote Thu Oct 10 2013, 19:41

flexcavana

Chris Birchall, played for Cov at Amblecote only months after playing in a World Cup finals for Trinidad and Tobago. I think the origional thread on the old forum was non home nation players that had played a World Cup finals and played at Amblecote.

If we return to just any internationals the I remember seeing Geoff Thomas play for Wolves. '95 ish. Glenn Crowe scored for Wolves, and later earned himself a couple of ROI caps. Eric Young also sored and won many Welsh caps. More recently Matt Jarvis played in a Wolves reserve team recently. Paul Devlin also earned Scottish caps didnt he?

14International Players at Amblecote Empty Re: International Players at Amblecote Sat Oct 12 2013, 10:27

the nephew of god

As far as managers go - I'm sure Martin O'Neill (Norn Iron) & John Robertson (Scotland) would have managed Grantham at Amblecote. I think Robertson was their manager the night we beat Grantham to win the league.

15International Players at Amblecote Empty Re: International Players at Amblecote Sat Oct 12 2013, 10:40

TRM

I remember Robertson coming to Stour. Wore a shabby overcoat and looked like a tramp who had wandered in off the street. Perfectly fitted the way Clough described him in his autobiography.

Think you've got the dates right, Rob.

16International Players at Amblecote Empty Re: International Players at Amblecote Sat Oct 12 2013, 10:41

TRM

the nephew of god wrote:I think Robertson was their manager the night we beat Grantham to win the league.
Yes, he was.

But who was the referee that night?

17International Players at Amblecote Empty Re: International Players at Amblecote Sat Oct 12 2013, 17:13

PhilC

Dermot Gallagher

18International Players at Amblecote Empty Re: International Players at Amblecote Sat Oct 12 2013, 17:24

Devil's Advocate

PhilC wrote:Dermot Gallagher
Met him a few times....miserable sod!

19International Players at Amblecote Empty Re: International Players at Amblecote Sun Oct 27 2013, 11:07

dave w

UlsterJim wrote:Dwight Yorke played for Villa at Amblecote in the early 90's, although I'm not sure whether he had been capped for T&T at this stage.
October 1990, Birmingham Senior Cup and he had.

20International Players at Amblecote Empty Re: International Players at Amblecote Sun Oct 27 2013, 11:10

TRM

A couple of other Plymouth players.

Carl Fletcher (Wales)
Onismor Bhasera (Zimbabwe)

21International Players at Amblecote Empty Re: International Players at Amblecote Sun Oct 27 2013, 11:24

Dave the Glassboy

Dave the Glassboy

dave w wrote:
UlsterJim wrote:Dwight Yorke played for Villa at Amblecote in the early 90's, although I'm not sure whether he had been capped for T&T at this stage.
Scored a late consolation goal in a 4-1 loss.

22International Players at Amblecote Empty Re: International Players at Amblecote Sun Oct 27 2013, 11:26

TRM

Still the only time I've ever seen Villa lose "live" in over 30 matches!

23International Players at Amblecote Empty Re: International Players at Amblecote Sun Oct 27 2013, 11:38

dave w

Dave the Glassboy wrote:
dave w wrote:
Scored a late consolation goal in a 4-1 loss.
Steve Froggatt also played, and he was in an England squad once.

24International Players at Amblecote Empty Re: International Players at Amblecote Sun Oct 27 2013, 21:37

the nephew of god

And as for managers, Terry Butcher came for a B'ham Senior Cup tie when he was manager of Coventry City. He may not have been in charge on the night but I know he was there cos he bought some raffle tickets off me.

25International Players at Amblecote Empty Re: International Players at Amblecote Sun Oct 27 2013, 21:41

Devil's Advocate

Dean Keily was here with Albion reserves in the BSC two seasons ago and i think he played for Eire.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum