Stourbridge Football Club-Unofficial Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Stourbridge Football Club-Unofficial Forum

The latest views on the Glassboys

You are not connected. Please login or register

Prediction time

+12
PhilC
flexcavana
i'llgetmeamblecoat
barnstoneworth
Brian Handy
Dave the Glassboy
TRM
stoursi
stour_boy
brockmoor
Jack
Tricky Tree
16 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

26Prediction time - Page 2 Empty Re: Prediction time Sun Aug 11 2013, 17:48

Tricky Tree

Tricky Tree

Oh hello.........

27Prediction time - Page 2 Empty Re: Prediction time Sun Aug 11 2013, 21:48

barnstoneworth

barnstoneworth

Only been to the one pre-season game so difficult to assess whether we've got the squad to mount an effective promotion challenge this year.

My gut feeling is that we'll make the usual encouraging start, falter a bit after getting knocked out of the cup and trophy, suffer the "Hackett out" blues around Christmas and come back with an encouraging run in the new year.

All of this will mean we finish an unlucky 6th or just squeak into the playoffs in 5th place. I'll wait until a bit nearer the time to predict the outcome of our playoff game!

28Prediction time - Page 2 Empty Re: Prediction time Sun Aug 11 2013, 22:01

TRM

barnstoneworth wrote:I'll wait until a bit nearer the time to predict the outcome of our playoff game!
"Game" singular! So you reckon we'll lose the semi-final then?!

29Prediction time - Page 2 Empty Re: Prediction time Sun Aug 11 2013, 22:05

TRM

stour_boy wrote:
brockmoor wrote:Poole have alot of money to spend after a previous player was sold on for a big fee, and they got a cut. Cant remember the players name though.
Thankfully i was on them at 20s :)As well as Hemel at 5s.
Could be Charlie Austin?
Austin was supposed to move from Burnley to Hull in July but it fell through when he failed a medical. In the end he went to QPR about a week and a half ago - undisclosed fee but said to be around £4million. Poole have been signing "names" since much longer ago than that so if they have made any money on Austin's move it can only help them even further... or perhaps bail them out of the hole they'd dug in anticipation of the Hull move happening!!!

30Prediction time - Page 2 Empty Re: Prediction time Mon Aug 12 2013, 06:10

barnstoneworth

barnstoneworth

TRM wrote:
barnstoneworth wrote:I'll wait until a bit nearer the time to predict the outcome of our playoff game!
"Game" singular! So you reckon we'll lose the semi-final then?!
Ok, game(s) then, assuming we get that far!

31Prediction time - Page 2 Empty Re: Prediction time Wed Aug 14 2013, 17:18

Jack

Jack
Admin

If we play a settled and best team throughout the whole season, I think we can win it. Especially now we have or are going to have Rowey. But I'll go for 3rd.

https://glassboys.forumotion.com

32Prediction time - Page 2 Empty Re: Prediction time Wed Aug 14 2013, 17:33

Tricky Tree

Tricky Tree

I wonder what you'd have gone for if before the Rowey news.

Obviously one person does not a team make....however I believe if we have Mr.Rowe for the season then it makes a huge difference.
I think if Macca was still at the club then we could possibly win the title but I'm still anxious about our defense....I'm now changing my 8th to a 4th.

33Prediction time - Page 2 Empty Re: Prediction time Wed Aug 14 2013, 17:53

Jack

Jack
Admin

Much lower! If him & Luke click, we have the best front 2 in the league. Easily.

34Prediction time - Page 2 Empty Re: Prediction time Wed Aug 14 2013, 20:38

TRM

TRM wrote:I am pessimistic before the start of most seasons - last time out I reckoned we'd finish 8th, so what do I know?

I have not seen any of the friendlies for one reason or another so I'm going at it "cold". We've lost one good player in Macca and his replacement (Hickman) has picked up a long-term injury. Eze I think will do a job based on what I've seen in the past but I still think our back four will be vulnerable to a bit of pace and invention (eg. Hemel at home last season). Coleman, I think, is an improvement all round on Solly. Elsewhere in the team it's very difficult to form a judgment not having anything to go on.

However, I see other sides around the Division (Hemel, St Albans, Chesham, Poole) strengthening and I wonder if we have can say the same? On the other hand, we've never - until Mackey - gone down the route of bringing in star names and it's worked well enough that way in the past.

A bit of pessimism, caution, call it what you like, but I'll say 7th.
With the positive news on Rowey, I'm upping my thoughts to squeezing into the play-offs in 5th! Very Happy 

35Prediction time - Page 2 Empty Re: Prediction time Wed Aug 14 2013, 20:45

TRM

Jack wrote:Much lower! If him & Luke click, we have the best front 2 in the league. Easily.
I don't know about "easily", but there won't be many better partnerships if they click, as you say.

Roberts and Dillon at Chesham? Did well at Arlesey, but not well enough to get them a play-off spot.

Not sure about partnerships at other clubs. Most of the likely front-runners seem to have one big name (eg. Mackey at Hemel, Frendo at St Albans) but not two, although once we kick off that may change. I think Griffin and Phillips at Chippenham could prove a good pair this season, although they may have been flattered by our defensive performance in April!

36Prediction time - Page 2 Empty Re: Prediction time Thu Aug 15 2013, 12:12

i'llgetmeamblecoat

I predict a second consecutive play-off appearance and subsequent disillusionment, and a barnstorming victory in the Worcestershire Senior Cup final.

37Prediction time - Page 2 Empty Re: Prediction time Thu Aug 15 2013, 12:14

Jack

Jack
Admin

And in such barnstorming Worcestershire Senior Cup win, we will play at least 1 of Redditch, Evesham & Kidderminster.

38Prediction time - Page 2 Empty Re: Prediction time Thu Aug 15 2013, 15:50

TRM

Jack wrote:And in such barnstorming Worcestershire Senior Cup win, we will play at least 1 of Redditch, Evesham & Kidderminster.
Stands to reason since we'll have to play at least two games and Worcester are the only other team in it that you haven't mentioned!

39Prediction time - Page 2 Empty Re: Prediction time Thu Aug 15 2013, 17:14

Before the news about Rowe I was going to say 4th, but now I will change that to at least 3rd if not slightly higher Wink

Last edited by sirsmilerIII on Fri Aug 16 2013, 17:14; edited 1 time in total

40Prediction time - Page 2 Empty Re: Prediction time Fri Aug 16 2013, 10:13

flexcavana

Although I haven't seen any of pre season due to the arrival of twins at home, I was rather pessimistic about our chances for this season. Wasn't sure how we would cope psychologically with last season's defeat, would there be a hangover? but the Rowe signing seems to have galvanised everyone, especially on here, the trigger that has got everyone posting again! I would hope this would also be the case amongst the players too. Pre Rowe I thought 8th / 9th Post Rowe playoffs with a bit to spare.

41Prediction time - Page 2 Empty Re: Prediction time Fri Aug 16 2013, 11:09

stoursi

Think the signing of Ryan is a masterstroke.

Gives the club a huge boost after perhaps a disappointing pre season.

Gary says the team have to keep moving forward so it has to be the title.

We have the players its time to perform.

42Prediction time - Page 2 Empty Re: Prediction time Fri Aug 16 2013, 11:26

PhilC

I'm chuffed we have re-signed Ryan, but don't want to get carried away - plenty of players have returned to former clubs and not performed as well as their first spell. I really hope he proves me wrong, but I don't think we should get carried away that his return alone has turned us from mid table candidates (if we ever were - I don't think so) to favourites for the league. However, it is certainly a boost for the whole club and I'm looking forward to tomorrow more than I was this time last week.

Who knows how much others clubs have strengthened over the summer. Obviously Hemel and St Albans are going for it by signign Mackey and Frendo resepctively, and Poole seem to have a bit of money. I reckon we'll be fighting for a play-off place come May.

43Prediction time - Page 2 Empty Re: Prediction time Fri Aug 16 2013, 20:28

oldhillglassboy

There's a lot of money being thrown around at other clubs, but I still thought we would be in with a good chance of the play offs, before Ryan Rowe rejoined, I found the news surprising but it is fantastic for Stour, although disappointed he hasn't been able to become a regular at the higher level. With players coming back from injury I think we will be very formidable going forward, and I think the loss of Mackey is very slight. More of a concern is the back with the huge hole left by Paul Mccone, I only have the evidence of the kiddy friendly to go on, but Eze looked reasonable then. If we play to our potential consistently we could well win it (as we might have last season), but my first thought at finishing position is 4th. Very much looking forward to next Tuesday, my PC seems to know the season's about to start, as its finally stopped telling me this website is malicious and posing security threats!

44Prediction time - Page 2 Empty Re: Prediction time Fri Aug 16 2013, 20:57

Paranoid Android

5th.

45Prediction time - Page 2 Empty Re: Prediction time Sat Apr 26 2014, 20:25

i'llgetmeamblecoat

good call. they let me down in the worcestershire senior cup. here's hoping my play-off prediction is wrong too.

46Prediction time - Page 2 Empty Re: Prediction time Sat Apr 26 2014, 21:33

brockmoor

brockmoor

I dont think i did to bad!

Backed Hemel to win league, and said Stour would finish 4th!  Very Happy 

47Prediction time - Page 2 Empty Re: Prediction time Sat Apr 26 2014, 22:14

Devil's Advocate

There's a few who got it spot on,Paranoid,OHGB and TRM ( eventually! ) all went for 5th spot so well done to them.

I'm quite happy to be facing Chesham and then a final away if necessary,i think it takes the pressure off our lad's to some degree.

I hope Benbow is fit for Tuesday though,any news on how he's progressing with the injury?

48Prediction time - Page 2 Empty Re: Prediction time Sat Apr 26 2014, 23:15

Dave the Glassboy

Dave the Glassboy

The word today was that Luke will be out of contention for the play-offs.

49Prediction time - Page 2 Empty Re: Prediction time Sat Apr 26 2014, 23:39

Devil's Advocate

Dave the Glassboy wrote:The word today was that Luke will be out of contention for the play-offs.

Bummer!  Mad 

50Prediction time - Page 2 Empty Re: Prediction time Sun Apr 27 2014, 23:00

Aled

Bit harsh Devil Smile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum