Stourbridge Football Club-Unofficial Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Stourbridge Football Club-Unofficial Forum

The latest views on the Glassboys

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ashton away.

+2
Jack
Devil's Advocate
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Ashton away. Empty Ashton away. Fri Apr 01 2016, 20:17

Devil's Advocate

Must not lose under any circumstances and in truth may be categorised under "must win" depending on other results on Saturday.

Back to basics i hope with no experimental formations etc.

Can we also see Sean Geddes back on penalties and free kicks around the box for the rest of the season please,let's do what we know is right rather than pander to any ego's.

Time for strong management and ALL squad members to put "team" at the top of the agenda.

As soon as we see Geddes back on spot duty we'll know things are back on track and the tail isn't wagging the dog.

COYGB.

2Ashton away. Empty Re: Ashton away. Sat Apr 02 2016, 18:20

Jack

Jack
Admin

Impossible, ay?

https://glassboys.forumotion.com

3Ashton away. Empty Re: Ashton away. Sat Apr 02 2016, 19:46

sirsmileriiii

Jack wrote:Impossible, ay?

That's exactly what all the doom & gloom merchants on here were predicting after Monday's game. And in reality you cannot blame them for saying it, given the team's performance at Halesowen.

Football can be a funny old game, and today's result has proved exactly that. But now the play-off's really are in our hands, especially after Workington's 90 minute winner today. Which leaves us 2 points outside the play-off places with 6 games remaining.

Congratulations to everyone at Ashton and hope they all have a safe journey home. Not sure what the management said to the team between Monday & today but it certainly worked, so now we have to carry on the good work against Stamford AFC on Mon night.

4Ashton away. Empty Re: Ashton away. Sat Apr 02 2016, 20:53

oldhillglassboy

A week is a long time in politics and 5 days has proved to be a long time in football! excellent game considering the match was still in doubt on arrival, not surprising given the mud down the one side, very heavy but played fairly well , perhaps games are called off too easily some times and then we end up with Tuesdays and Thursdays in April.

The first half performance was superb, dominant from the off with the required clinical finishing, Ashton where 3-0 down before they knew what had hit them, Hawleys lob over the keeper for the third the pick, we probably should have scored more in that half, Lait's free kick with the last action of the half was brilliantly saved when destined for the top corner. The downside was Pierpoint's injury, replaced by hull at about the same time as in the home match but for different reasons! hope it's not too serious, he was suspended for Monday night in any event.

The second half Ashton threw everything at it, Green was unfortunate to prod into his own net and they wasted some good openings which could have turned the match on it's head, some great defence from Scarr, Smikle, Hull and Green, Tonks had a great game in midfield, Lait was excellent, Hawley and Richards a constant handful up front and Bowerman starting proved to be the right call scoring the early goal and giving them problems. They run into us on the wrong day today and although we got pinned back late on, did enough to hang on to the win the first hour deserved.

My first visit there and every bit as old fashioned as expected (and all the better for it!), surrounded by terraced houses and great views of the hills, the crowds are very low considering they've been doing well for a while and clearly every penny counts, as well as a raffle and 50/50 draw the donations bucket came round.

We need to put the same shift in on Monday now to back this up.

5Ashton away. Empty Re: Ashton away. Sat Apr 02 2016, 21:25

glassboypaul

Sometimes you have to have to swallow a large helping of humble pie...fantastic result today and made me look like a right prat!

Well done to everyone on a brilliant result! Got to follow it up on Monday now

6Ashton away. Empty Re: Ashton away. Sun Apr 03 2016, 10:02

Jack

Jack
Admin

Yesterday was a massive massive win for us. Not quite sure what Smiler meant about it being in our hands, as unless I've read the table wrong, it isn't...but none the less that was a magnificent win.

First half we did everything we didn't do Monday. We battled, won every 50/50 and were clinical in front of goal. It sounds a bit contradictory, but while I don't think we were 3-0 better, we could have had more.

Second half was a completely different story. They were obviously going to come at us, but we very nearly made a complete hash of it. I personally couldn't see it, but Tonks and Junior in particular were getting angrier and angrier with something. It seems harsh to criticise because it happens at every level, but when will teams realise that the further back you drop, the more likely you are to increase levels of pressure against you?

However that now doesn't matter. We hung on and they deserve massive credit for the character shown after the derby. I agreed with not playing Sean, as it was always going to be a Tonks game and I thought if played out as such .

It is of course pointless if we don't win Monday. It's a massive chance to exert pressure on now Workington and crucially now Ashton.

6 finals to go.

7Ashton away. Empty Re: Ashton away. Sun Apr 03 2016, 10:47

Jack

Jack
Admin

Just been pointed out to me that you are indeed correct Smiler. My mistake!

8Ashton away. Empty Re: Ashton away. Sun Apr 03 2016, 12:59

Brian Handy

Man of the Match voting was as follows:

DAN SCARR 16

Tom Tonks 5

George Bowerman 2

Justin Richards
Chris Lait ] All 1
Kristian Green
Leon Broadhurst

Wine was won by NICK (ROFFLE MON) WOOD