Stourbridge Football Club-Unofficial Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Stourbridge Football Club-Unofficial Forum

The latest views on the Glassboys

You are not connected. Please login or register

Poole away.

+11
stoursi
stour_boy
baz
brockmoor
redpike
Tricky Tree
the nephew of god
UlsterJim
Brian Handy
TRM
Devil's Advocate
15 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

26Poole away. - Page 2 Empty Re: Poole away. Sat Mar 01 2014, 14:37

TRM

Had a call from one of our officials just after it had been called off. He expressed the view that "it was never playable in a month of Tuesdays..."

27Poole away. - Page 2 Empty Re: Poole away. Sat Mar 01 2014, 15:46

stour_boy

stour_boy

Fair enough, but why the eff did they say it was on in the first place?

28Poole away. - Page 2 Empty Re: Poole away. Sat Mar 01 2014, 16:08

TRM

Ah well now, that IS an interesting question...

29Poole away. - Page 2 Empty Re: Poole away. Sat Mar 01 2014, 16:38

stoursi

Pitch and Poole FC are an absolute joke.

Quarter of the pitch is a mud patch. If they play on that pitch within a week it will be a joke.

No way was this match on at any point.

Either they play elsewhere or kick them out of the league.

30Poole away. - Page 2 Empty Re: Poole away. Sat Mar 01 2014, 16:44

TRM

Apparently it's all our fault and they should be awarded the points...

http://samspud.proboards.com/thread/7193/games-off

31Poole away. - Page 2 Empty Re: Poole away. Sat Mar 01 2014, 16:59

stour_boy

stour_boy

In good news, St Albans and Bideford lost

32Poole away. - Page 2 Empty Re: Poole away. Sat Mar 01 2014, 17:22

i'llgetmeamblecoat

TRM wrote:
In the Welsh Cup in 1991/92 we played at Cardiff Civil Service on a Sunday, having played a League game the previous day - again they had no lights.

Am I correct in recalling that the CCS match was a replay after a 0-0 draw at Amblecote. If so, that home game was most boring game I've ever attended.

33Poole away. - Page 2 Empty Re: Poole away. Sat Mar 01 2014, 17:23

TRM

i'llgetmeamblecoat wrote:
TRM wrote:
In the Welsh Cup in 1991/92 we played at Cardiff Civil Service on a Sunday, having played a League game the previous day - again they had no lights.

Am I correct in recalling that the CCS match was a replay after a 0-0 draw at Amblecote. If so, that home game was most boring game I've ever attended.

You are right - in every respect, as I recall!

34Poole away. - Page 2 Empty Re: Poole away. Sat Mar 01 2014, 17:27

Jane.N

According to their forum we pushed for it to be off as we may have had a couple of top players missing today! Right, so it's easier to travel midweek is it? Numpty!

35Poole away. - Page 2 Empty Re: Poole away. Sat Mar 01 2014, 19:07

TRM

And obviously we've got a track record of travelling miles and miles, turning up to find a dodgy pitch and throwing our toys out of the pram and refusing to play.

Just like we did at Gosport last season.

Oh, hang on...

By the way, out of interest, was anybody missing today, other than Harris through suspension, of course?

36Poole away. - Page 2 Empty Re: Poole away. Sat Mar 01 2014, 19:12

stoursi

Have read their forum and inspected the pitch after Gary told me what a shambles it was.

To the people on their forum who are blaming us for the game being called off what complete tossers you are.

If you read their forum I am sure that someone said on Friday there wasn't a chance of playing.

Did Poole influence the local ref and you have to say yes. They should pay for all stour fans who travelled not just the players.

For me Poole act like a Sunday team and should perhaps play in the local Sunday league and not in non league football.

Last edited by stoursi on Sat Mar 01 2014, 19:17; edited 3 times in total

37Poole away. - Page 2 Empty Re: Poole away. Sat Mar 01 2014, 19:13

oldhillglassboy

Have to say the secretary's picture makes the Lye look a top quality surface! that was never playable, how on earth did that get passed this morning? I know they say "prefer to play on a mudbath than go back midweek", but that's ridiculous.

I've read various things about the ground wasn't even good enough for the south and west division, never mind this league, but not having seen it couldn't really comment, but this is becoming a fiasco. I always want promotion/relegation to be decided on the pitch (not much chance of that at Tatnam at present!) but with regards to ground gradings, the powers that be ought to focus on the playing surface a bit more rather than building new stands for spectators that don't exist. Tividale springs to mind as well, with a good promotion challenge (a decent whack on players i'd guess) but not much spent on the pitch.

38Poole away. - Page 2 Empty Re: Poole away. Sat Mar 01 2014, 19:21

TRM

In fairness, there are also comments on Poole's forum that the game was never, ever going to be played. A selection...

"I was down at the ground at about 2-15 and when I looked over the fence my first impression was NO WAY can we play on that! I know we are trying to get games on but today was a total disaster. The game should have been postponed in the morning and saved a lot of people a lot of bother. It wasn't even a close call, look at the photo on twitter!!"

"It wasn't a close call really Pippa, the pitch was not playable"

"If it wasn't playable Thursday. It wasn't playable today. After all the rain Thursday/Friday morning. This game was never gonna happen. I dont personally blame the club. I blame the official who at 9 this morning called it a 50/50. We all love this club but to gamble on a club travelling 350 miles for nothing is a fu%% ing joke. Fair play though to every single one who attempted"

39Poole away. - Page 2 Empty Re: Poole away. Sat Mar 01 2014, 19:48

TRM

Looking at our fixtures, if it is to be a Thursday night, then I reckon 3rd April would suit us well - we don't have a game on Saturday 5th April (were due to play Hinckley at home) and currently have a whole fortnight free between Frome (away) on Saturday 29th March and Totton (home) on Saturday 12th April.

Sunday 6th April would have been ideal with the blank Saturday in mind, but we already have a "match" that day.

Poole have Bedford (home) on Sat 29th March, Banbury (home) on Tues 1st April and Totton (away) on Saturday 5th April.

40Poole away. - Page 2 Empty Re: Poole away. Sat Mar 01 2014, 19:53

TRM

Another post from Poole's forum...

"One of the saddest thing for me today was one or two in the Stourbridge party who did not want to play and let the match ref know their feelings. You would have thought having spent 3.5 hours on a coach that they would rather play than have to return again on a Thursday night."

How hard is this? Really? The pitch was not playable! Again, we come back to the Gosport situation last season. Similar scenario - long journey, potential for having to come back on a Thursday night, borderline pitch, even more so as the game went on. But we got on with it and won the game against very strong opposition.

The difference? At 3pm, that pitch was difficult but undoubtedly fit to host a game of football. This one was not.

41Poole away. - Page 2 Empty Re: Poole away. Sat Mar 01 2014, 20:47

TRM

Poole were supposed to be playing Hemel at home this Tuesday. That match was then postponed as Poole have to play a County Cup game at Gillingham Town (itself postponed from LAST Tuesday) instead. The SL has now decreed that the Hemel game will be played on Wednesday night instead... at four days notice (or two working days notice, if you prefer).

That's it.

Nothing about contingency plans for moving the match to another ground, or anything like that. There is rain forecast in Poole most of tomorrow and up to mid-afternoon on Monday. What chance the Hemel match going ahead? Their fans (and probably some players too) have booked leave, cancelled leave, and will now have to go and re-book leave - again, all at two days' notice. And more than likely for nothing.

The SL is basically washing its hands of this whole thing and saying it's Poole's problem. Except it isn't, it's everybody's problem. They are supposed to look after the interests of their clubs as far as they can. I accept there is nothing they can do about the weather, broken drains caused by Local Authority works outside the ground (which I am led to believe is the main issue at Poole), and so on. But they have it in their power surely to make Poole find another ground or grounds to use, as Redpike said?

42Poole away. - Page 2 Empty Re: Poole away. Sat Mar 01 2014, 20:50

Devil's Advocate

I think most of us felt,having looked at the weather forecast for the Poole area since their midweek postponement,that today's match only stood the slimmest of chances of being on.

As i said earlier in the week i do think this is the best scenario for us as it heap's more pressure on Poole and our eventual game against them may well have lost it's significance to them and thus be an easier night for us.

I feel sorry for all those that travelled but in truth all the blame lies with Poole and they should take the criticism on the chin and "grow a pair" rather than try and pass the buck.

43Poole away. - Page 2 Empty Re: Poole away. Sat Mar 01 2014, 20:58

TRM

I wish I could agree about today being "good news" but I can't. I know Poole are going to be knackered but they also have the chance to build up a head of steam with lots of home midweek games against weakened teams who have travelled hours to get there. Even if we play on Thursday 3rd April, which I reckon is the "least worst" Thursday they will be coming off home games against Bedford (Sat) and Banbury (Tues) - can you see anything other than really thumping home wins from those two, and the momentum that goes with that?

Sorry, but today can't be good news for me (except that I hope to be able to get there next time!).

44Poole away. - Page 2 Empty Re: Poole away. Sat Mar 01 2014, 21:14

stour_boy wrote:In good news, St Albans and Bideford lost

And Redditch beat Hemel 1-0 at home, now how many people would have predicted that score at F-T Wink 

With other teams around us losing today, it means that we can not be allowed to slip up with our remaining fixtures. The play-off position is ours to throw away.

45Poole away. - Page 2 Empty Re: Poole away. Sat Mar 01 2014, 21:15

sirsmilerIII wrote:
stour_boy wrote:In good news, St Albans and Bideford lost

And Redditch beat Hemel 1-0 at home, now how many people would have predicted that score after last Saturday Wink 

With other teams around us losing today, it means that we can not be allowed to slip up with our remaining fixtures.  The play-off position is ours to throw away.

46Poole away. - Page 2 Empty Re: Poole away. Sat Mar 01 2014, 21:32

TRM

If Bideford win ALL their remaining games they can only get 86 points. In reality I would be surprised if they get anywhere near 80 given their form since we beat them in November. We should be able to beat that comfortably and if we can't then the other five contenders will - Hemel, Chesham, St Albans, Cambridge and Poole. I'm calling Bideford as out of contention right now. It's down to five from six for the Title/play-offs.

47Poole away. - Page 2 Empty Re: Poole away. Sat Mar 01 2014, 21:36

the nephew of god

To be fair to Poole fans the ones I've spoken to or had messages from have been very apologetic and embarrassed. Some of them were sweeping water off the pitch early this morning. Any moron can write rubbish on a forum - doesn't mean they're representative of that club's fans.

48Poole away. - Page 2 Empty Re: Poole away. Sat Mar 01 2014, 21:43

Devil's Advocate

TRM wrote:If Bideford win ALL their remaining games they can only get 86 points. In reality I would be surprised if they get anywhere near 80 given their form since we beat them in November. We should be able to beat that comfortably and if we can't then the other five contenders will - Hemel, Chesham, St Albans, Cambridge and Poole. I'm calling Bideford as out of contention right now. It's down to five from six for the Title/play-offs.

Exactly why playing Poole late in the season is the best option.

If they'd beat us today then they'd be just 8 points behind us with 8 points in hand.

If we don't play them until April they may well have lost the plot by then BUT if they haven't then the game is just a significant as today's would've been so in effect we've lost nothing other than a wasted journey.

They have all the top teams still to play including Hemel twice,i can see them being on their knees by April.

I fancy our chances down there on a nice spring evening with a good following of our lot down there.

49Poole away. - Page 2 Empty Re: Poole away. Sat Mar 01 2014, 22:27

stoursi

One thing to think about is Poole has a lot of loanee which gives them a big squad to rotate and money behind them so I think DA is being naive.

One of us described them as having a conference budget.

If we play in April it only becomes a big game ir we won all the rest.

50Poole away. - Page 2 Empty Re: Poole away. Sat Mar 01 2014, 22:29

Devil's Advocate

stoursi wrote:One thing to think about is Poole has a lot of loanee which gives them a big squad to rotate and money behind them so I think DA is being naive.

One of us described them as having a conference budget.

If we play in April it only becomes a big game ir we won all the rest.

I think you're "naive" if you can't appreciate the demands of making up a 10 game shortfall against some teams at this time of the season.

Fancy a bet?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum