Stourbridge Football Club-Unofficial Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Stourbridge Football Club-Unofficial Forum

The latest views on the Glassboys

You are not connected. Please login or register

Redditch at home on Boxing Day.

+12
oldhillglassboy
stour_boy
Brian Handy
UlsterJim
Aled
Tricky Tree
brockmoor
Jack
TRM
Dave the Glassboy
barnstoneworth
Devil's Advocate
16 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 3]

51Redditch at home on Boxing Day. - Page 3 Empty Re: Redditch at home on Boxing Day. Fri Dec 27 2013, 22:24

Tricky Tree

Tricky Tree

Just to clarify.....I wasn't slagging Leon off...I just think Sean is a more attack minded player and I prefer his style of play to Leon's.
Leon does what he has to do and that's enough to get him picked as often as he has.
Just my opinion.

52Redditch at home on Boxing Day. - Page 3 Empty Re: Redditch at home on Boxing Day. Fri Dec 27 2013, 22:25

TRM

Tricky Tree wrote:
Devil's Advocate wrote:
stoursi wrote:Sorry but Geddes for me wasn't in my top four.

Leon ain't a defending midfielder for us at all.

Geddes all round game needs to improve to go further if he is to play higher than what we are.

Will bet you per dead ball we have scored more goals when Ben is on the ball than Sean apart from pens which every should score in my opinion

That'll be why Northampton Town have been seriously looking at him then!

I'm not going to start knocking other players just to justify why i was one of those who voted for Geddes yesterday.

This season i've probably voted for Will Richards on 70% of occasions and he was again in contention yesterday,i think it was only the second time i've voted for Sean this season but it was well deserved.

Sean sets the tempo for the team,if he play's well the team tend's to play well but FFS….you can't expect him to be the ball winner and the ball player as well,why not shove a broom up his @rse and get him to sweep the terraces whilst he's at it!

Ridiculous to slag off a player and bitch about him and those that voted for him when the margin by which he won the award was significant.

It's not as if we all huddled together in the piss house to confer before we voted,like TRM said….it was democracy in action.

I enjoyed our huddle in the piss house devil and I thought you did too? Embarassed 

Always a highlight of any Saturday afternoon or Tuesday night...

53Redditch at home on Boxing Day. - Page 3 Empty Re: Redditch at home on Boxing Day. Fri Dec 27 2013, 23:07

stour_boy

stour_boy

Also mystified to see Geddes win MOTM by such a margin for this particular game, especially after that tackle! I think he's been one of our best players so far this season though so I'm not going to be drawn into a debate on his good points and bad points, it's a bit bizarre this thread has descended into this. It's a democratic vote and it's not like I'm saying Geddes is a dud player just because I vote for someone else, or visa versa.

Just on yesterday's game though, for whatever reason Haynes, Brown and Ben Billingham stood out for me in particular yesterday and after a bit of deliberation I went for Haynes, just because his several bombing runs forward stuck in my mind. As TRM says, he didn't achieve the final ball on a few occasions but the desire and passion and skill to get forward were all there.

Geds did have a good game but for whatever reason those players sprung to mind initially when I was voting at the end of the match!

54Redditch at home on Boxing Day. - Page 3 Empty Re: Redditch at home on Boxing Day. Fri Dec 27 2013, 23:32

Jack

Jack
Admin

I'd also like to add Luton to the watching Sean list. Tricky is spot on about how Sean is and always will be more creative than Leon. However Leon is a major major player for us in the process. Personally think in the last month Sean has been more consistent than he has been for a while.

https://glassboys.forumotion.com

55Redditch at home on Boxing Day. - Page 3 Empty Re: Redditch at home on Boxing Day. Fri Dec 27 2013, 23:51

brockmoor

brockmoor

stoursi wrote:Sorry but Geddes for me wasn't in my top four.

Leon ain't a defending midfielder for us at all.

Geddes all round game needs to improve to go further if he is to play higher than what we are.

Will bet you per dead ball we have scored more goals when Ben is on the ball than Sean apart from pens which every should score in my opinion

I voted for Sean as I mentioned earlier in thread. Its all about opinions but with Sean getting 3x more votes than the joint second players im afraid you are in the minority. Wink

56Redditch at home on Boxing Day. - Page 3 Empty Re: Redditch at home on Boxing Day. Sat Dec 28 2013, 01:25

PhilC

I think Burnham showed how much we rely on Sean. Without him we never looked like scoring. 5-6 years ago Leon was the player we relied on to get a goal, but I don't think any of us have the legs we had back then! The team should be built around Sean getting on the ball inside the opposition's half. If we are weak defensively in midfield it isn't the fault of Sean or Leon - they play the position as best they can - but the management for not signing a defensive midfielder.

57Redditch at home on Boxing Day. - Page 3 Empty Re: Redditch at home on Boxing Day. Sat Dec 28 2013, 10:23

TRM

Dead right, Phil. Rightly or wrongly, we choose not to play with what most of us would call a recognised defensive midfielder, letting Leon (for the most part) be the one midfield player who tends to hold back and sort of take on that role. If the management were unhappy with what Sean does then I would suspect he'd be left out more often and somebody else would have a go in his position. Whether any of us think those tactics are right is neither here nor there - it's the way Gary sets us up to play.

58Redditch at home on Boxing Day. - Page 3 Empty Re: Redditch at home on Boxing Day. Sat Dec 28 2013, 16:49

lyelad

I like to read the opinons on this forum, but never feel the temptation to register my view, but sometimes i feel that i might as well have a say. i follow stour at all home games cannot remember missing a league game in last four seasons, and i try to get to away matches when i can. One thing i have noticed  is that win lose or draw the midfield always gets a lot of the blame, Watching football for many years the easiest thing to do is blame the midfield.lets just take a step back at stour we have a very talented bunch of lads in this position, and i feel that you would find it hard to replace Sean, Leon, Ben, just watch the game, Trm said against redditch that the midfield were not protecting our defence. these three were back in our area making important tackles then when on the attack the same players were up there. I stand with a few lads who have played football at a good level all their football careers, and they say that Stour on their day are better than anyone in this league. I do agree with DA, Sean is playing well, i also agree that Ben can be a better player, very frustrating but no doubting his ability. these players cover a lot of ground during a game. one thing i must say is that if we do need to get another midfield player i agree with a lot on this forum in that we need a player who is not afraid to get stuck in, but he must have a bit of a football brain about him, and the question is where would Stour find a player like this on stours budget. Also twenty people vote for MOTM it is only their opinion out of 600+ fans at Redditch game, so this should be taken lightly, we all think we are experts so now until the end of the season come on stour.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum