Stourbridge Football Club-Unofficial Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Stourbridge Football Club-Unofficial Forum

The latest views on the Glassboys

You are not connected. Please login or register

Chippenham at home.

+10
Dave the Glassboy
Jane.N
Jack
oldhillglassboy
Paranoid Android
stour_boy
brockmoor
TRM
Tricky Tree
Devil's Advocate
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26Chippenham at home. - Page 2 Empty Re: Chippenham at home. Wed Sep 04 2013, 18:36

Jane.N

I thought the applause for the Chippenham players at the final whistle showed the fans of our club in a very good light yesterday! Smile 
I do sometimes cringe at the over the top abuse the opposition receive on occasions but yesterday I thought it was great to see - especially as we were so fed up ourselves! Rolling Eyes 

27Chippenham at home. - Page 2 Empty Re: Chippenham at home. Wed Sep 04 2013, 19:22

TRM

Purely because the Devil begged me to...

I always try to be positive, and if I can't be positive then at least I try to find some balance in my comments, so on the "up" side I thought Dean and the defence generally did well. What chances Chippenham had could largely be put down to the midfield. When called on our back four managed to deal with most attacks, even if it was a bit hairy now and then - I'm thinking of the first ten minutes in particular.

Also I thought we threatened well from set pieces with Nathan keeping Griffin (the no. 9) occupied and Sean delivering the ball elsewhere usually for Will and Jamie. Their keeper made two very good saves - one in each half - that on another day would have been game-changing goals. And contrary to what DtG says, we DID create chances - we just didn't take them.

On the other hand...

Some context here. Chippenham lost at home to Totton on Saturday. They came into the game with their centre-forward playing at centre-back and with only two regular defenders in the team. And they only had three subs, which if nothing else shows how threadbare they were (and I might also mention whilst we're putting opposing teams into context that the Bedford side who repelled us with some comfort on Saturday lost 6-1 at Hemel last night). However, they deserved their win because they played with more spirit, more determination and a better idea of how they were going to try to get something out of the game.

Most of my thoughts on our performance have already been expressed by others. I don't see any signs in the three games I've seen that Luke and Ryan can form a partnership. To be fair we tried to remedy that by going to 4-5-1 at half time with Luke wide on the right. It worked to a point as we had one of our best spells of the game. But surely to goodness a better change would have been to bring Lloyd on at right back and push Aaron forward? I couldn't and wouldn't argue with taking Fitzpatrick off and bringing Agbor on, but I would have taken Ryan off as well and left Luke on his own. Right now he is playing better then Ryan and has more pace to worry the opposition, although I agree that he has to learn to control his temper. Ryan is not currently the player he was for some reason - though I can't believe that is down to fitness as he's just done a "full time" pre-season.

The current midfield four does not work now. Last night was another example. There is no "bollocks" (pardon my French) in there, and no real shape. Everybody works hard but that in itself is not enough. So many times they went past one of our players and there was nobody else to back up the initial tackle so their bloke was away and running or able to pick out a pass without any pressure. Late in the first half we were on the attack, lost the ball and as they broke there was a good 40 yards between our deepest midfielder and the retreating defence. If we had a holding midfielder that would not, or at least should not, happen but it does because they are all attacking by instinct. Leon is the only one who tries to take that responsibility but against Bedford and Chippenham we have been over-run at times by younger, sharper, quicker midfielders who are maybe not "as good" as our players but will scrap around until they badger us into a mistake.

More than anything what worried me was that the players seemed resigned to it. If we had to go a goal behind with eight minutes to go, I wanted tat least to see us give it a right go and hurl everything at them. I think we tried to do that but didn't have it in us mentally after the frustration of the 82 minutes that had already gone. We looked a defeated team from the moment they scored.

There you go, DA. You did ask!

28Chippenham at home. - Page 2 Empty Re: Chippenham at home. Wed Sep 04 2013, 22:20

stoursi

Seen all games so far but didn't want to comment as it is early in the season and funny results can happen.

Last night was awful as everybody has said. For me no Stourbridge player deserved to be man of the match and I can see why some didn't vote. For me I voted for a player who I thought had no chance but in the end got more than I would suspect.

I agree the defence after a shaky start didn't do to bad but neither did they do badly Saturday apart from jamie's challenge. Fans think Nathan makes a big difference. He is a good defender but one person dont make a team. Regarding Will I would say that was his worst performance at the back for us. Must be hard when you were bought as a striker.

Our main problem as I think both stourboy and trm have mentioned is central midfielder. Sean and Leon is worst than the front pair. Defensively it is all Leon. Sean has to improve this side of his game and his fitness as proved last season otherwise one has to go.

As for fitz have said what people are saying now last season and dtg should know that at least.

Defensively I dont think there is much between the full backs but think Aaron has lost pace to be put on the wing. He needs more time and extra fitness to play there.

Agree about front two but can see why gary brings off luke. A loose cannon who lets his head drop to quickly.

We need to dust ourselves down the management to encourage the players.

Get behind the team Saturday and hopefully things will change our way.

On another note who was the coloured player kicking the ball at half time and I dont mean Francis.

The players owe the fans a response Saturday over to the management to get that now.

Last edited by stoursi on Wed Sep 04 2013, 22:27; edited 2 times in total

29Chippenham at home. - Page 2 Empty Re: Chippenham at home. Wed Sep 04 2013, 22:23

TRM

I wondered who it was "kicking in" at HT as well.

30Chippenham at home. - Page 2 Empty Re: Chippenham at home. Wed Sep 04 2013, 23:21

Devil's Advocate

TRM wrote:Purely because the Devil begged me to...

I always try to be positive, and if I can't be positive then at least I try to find some balance in my comments, so on the "up" side I thought Dean and the defence generally did well. What chances Chippenham had could largely be put down to the midfield. When called on our back four managed to deal with most attacks, even if it was a bit hairy now and then - I'm thinking of the first ten minutes in particular.

Also I thought we threatened well from set pieces with Nathan keeping Griffin (the no. 9) occupied and Sean delivering the ball elsewhere usually for Will and Jamie. Their keeper made two very good saves - one in each half - that on another day would have been game-changing goals. And contrary to what DtG says, we DID create chances - we just didn't take them.

On the other hand...

Some context here. Chippenham lost at home to Totton on Saturday. They came into the game with their centre-forward playing at centre-back and with only two regular defenders in the team. And they only had three subs, which if nothing else shows how threadbare they were (and I might also mention whilst we're putting opposing teams into context that the Bedford side who repelled us with some comfort on Saturday lost 6-1 at Hemel last night). However, they deserved their win because they played with more spirit, more determination and a better idea of how they were going to try to get something out of the game.

Most of my thoughts on our performance have already been expressed by others. I don't see any signs in the three games I've seen that Luke and Ryan can form a partnership. To be fair we tried to remedy that by going to 4-5-1 at half time with Luke wide on the right. It worked to a point as we had one of our best spells of the game. But surely to goodness a better change would have been to bring Lloyd on at right back and push Aaron forward? I couldn't and wouldn't argue with taking Fitzpatrick off and bringing Agbor on, but I would have taken Ryan off as well and left Luke on his own. Right now he is playing better then Ryan and has more pace to worry the opposition, although I agree that he has to learn to control his temper. Ryan is not currently the player he was for some reason - though I can't believe that is down to fitness as he's just done a "full time" pre-season.

The current midfield four does not work now. Last night was another example. There is no "bollocks" (pardon my French) in there, and no real shape. Everybody works hard but that in itself is not enough. So many times they went past one of our players and there was nobody else to back up the initial tackle so their bloke was away and running or able to pick out a pass without any pressure. Late in the first half we were on the attack, lost the ball and as they broke there was a good 40 yards between our deepest midfielder and the retreating defence. If we had a holding midfielder that would not, or at least should not, happen but it does because they are all attacking by instinct. Leon is the only one who tries to take that responsibility but against Bedford and Chippenham we have been over-run at times by younger, sharper, quicker midfielders who are maybe not "as good" as our players but will scrap around until they badger us into a mistake.

More than anything what worried me was that the players seemed resigned to it. If we had to go a goal behind with eight minutes to go, I wanted tat least to see us give it a right go and hurl everything at them. I think we tried to do that but didn't have it in us mentally after the frustration of the 82 minutes that had already gone. We looked a defeated team from the moment they scored.

There you go, DA. You did ask!

A good summary Rich,we're on the same wavelength in our thought's on matters.

I never thought i'd be saying this again but i'm wondering if we need to go back to 4-5-1 one again for a while.

Rowe and Benbow is not working and the midfield simply don't seem to have the leg's to compete with the opposition,they are swarming all over us at times.

I'm also growing concerned about the quality of coaching the team is receiving,lessons don't seem to be being learned with the same players making the same type of mistakes all the time and we simply don't seem to have a plan a let alone a plan b.

I've now seen around 13 games including pre season,i missed Totton so i can't comment on that but i've yet to see us play well apart from a 45 minutes against a p1ss poor Redditch side.

I think heads are down after last season's disappointment,the hangover is still lingering.

We need to shape up fast or the season will be over in terms of play offs.

31Chippenham at home. - Page 2 Empty Re: Chippenham at home. Thu Sep 05 2013, 13:50

TRM

From the Stourbridge News...

http://www.stourbridgenews.co.uk/sport/football/10656140.It_s_been_a_bad_week___Hackett/

32Chippenham at home. - Page 2 Empty Re: Chippenham at home. Sat Sep 07 2013, 12:51

Jack

Jack
Admin

One other slight positive is that over the set of games this past midweek, we had the highest attendance. While the results may not be going our way at the minute, its fantastic to see that the club is growing. 4 years ago, would any of us have thought we'd see that?

https://glassboys.forumotion.com

33Chippenham at home. - Page 2 Empty Re: Chippenham at home. Sat Sep 07 2013, 12:58

Only 6 games into the season and already the doom & gloom merchants are predicting playoff failure or worse scratch 

If it was Christmas/new year then I could understand everyone's panicking, but as it's still the start of the season I can't.  We cannot be expected to win every match, and even if the performances have been poor I'm sure we've had a better start than we did last season.  Things can only get better not worse Wink

34Chippenham at home. - Page 2 Empty Re: Chippenham at home. Sun Sep 08 2013, 18:03

TRM

Highlights here, if you can stomach it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BAz69Dl1do

35Chippenham at home. - Page 2 Empty Re: Chippenham at home. Sun Sep 08 2013, 18:58

Jack

Jack
Admin

The worst thing about that video is one of the lads celebrating their goal running to the players is not only one of my best mates, not only travelled to the majority of away games last year, but is also a MEMBER on this forum. Hang your head in shame TommyJ.

36Chippenham at home. - Page 2 Empty Re: Chippenham at home. Sun Sep 08 2013, 20:11

Tricky Tree

Tricky Tree

And he celebrated like a bloody moron!!!
He needs booting off the forum nory.Very Happy 

37Chippenham at home. - Page 2 Empty Re: Chippenham at home. Mon Sep 09 2013, 13:27

stoursi

It was more about the three points on Saturday than the performance. We needed to get back to winning ways.

Regarding team selection as it appeared Gary went 4 5 1 then I think Drew was the only player he had available just to play behind Ryan as a midfielder. Obviously that changed in the game when he went wide and Luke went upfront. Agree Henry didn't look at ease at right back but can understand the decision to drop Aaron after playing a number of games after a long term injury. Lloyd would have perhaps been the better choice.

Regarding the game thought defensively we started poorly and got ourselves into a bit of a mess but we didn't seem to help each other out. Would agree with Jack that it was a better performance from Ryan but not up to what we expect from him. If the partnership it to work both Ryan and Luke have to learn to pass the ball when they or others are in a better position. Still get frustrated about Luke sulking instead of taking it out on the opposition. Once again I thought we got over run in centre midfield as it appeared our two close down the same player. Agree with DA that we need someone in their to break play up. Even though Sean played some good long passes his short passes seem to put the receiving player into trouble and again for me with the ability he has should be doing more for the side.

After a shaky start at the back for Will thought he got better as the game went on and did quite well up front and took his goal well. Nice bit of work from Agbor. Agbor seems to have the ability to beat people but playing him on the left looks like he has to come back on his right foot to cross. Need him to use his left more often.

Think the win will give us some confidence and if we can try to be less selfish when on the ball and pass it to team mates surely will create more and better chances.

Just home we can have a good cup/trophy run this year.

38Chippenham at home. - Page 2 Empty Re: Chippenham at home. Mon Sep 09 2013, 16:46

Tricky Tree

Tricky Tree

Nice report Stoursi.....shame it's on the wrong thread.Laughing 

39Chippenham at home. - Page 2 Empty Re: Chippenham at home. Mon Sep 09 2013, 17:02

Jack

Jack
Admin

The best bit is how he agreed with something I said in the Burnham thread but still managed to to it in here. Razz 

40Chippenham at home. - Page 2 Empty Re: Chippenham at home. Mon Sep 09 2013, 17:31

Tricky Tree

Tricky Tree

Lunacy.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum