Stourbridge Football Club-Unofficial Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Stourbridge Football Club-Unofficial Forum

The latest views on the Glassboys

You are not connected. Please login or register

St Neots match thread

+6
redpike
UlsterJim
Tricky Tree
Jack
stour_boy
TRM
10 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1St Neots match thread Empty St Neots match thread Sun Aug 18 2013, 22:34

TRM

Important to produce a good performance in our first home game - would hopefully encourage more to get down to Redditch on Saturday if we can get a good result. They will be disappointed to have lost at home to Weymouth on Sat so will be desperate to get something from the game. I think they've had a fair old churn of players over the summer so hard to gauge what to expect from them.

Can't be there but will be hoping for updates (Aled?). Expect it to be close. 2-1 Stour. Anything close to 400 will be a good crowd considering it's the summer hols.

2St Neots match thread Empty Re: St Neots match thread Sun Aug 18 2013, 23:37

stour_boy

stour_boy

Happy to post on here or text you TRM.

Can't wait for the match and to see all the terrace lads again after the summer Smile

I'm not going to to score predictions this season as I'm a terrible jinx but predicting a crowd of 405!

3St Neots match thread Empty Re: St Neots match thread Mon Aug 19 2013, 07:58

TRM

stour_boy wrote:Happy to post on here or text you TRM.
Texts would be gratefully received. Thanks!

4St Neots match thread Empty Re: St Neots match thread Mon Aug 19 2013, 11:44

Jack

Jack
Admin

Looking forward to this. Game we should be looking to win. So I'll go for 3-1 Rowey 2, Luke 1 and 424

https://glassboys.forumotion.com

5St Neots match thread Empty Re: St Neots match thread Mon Aug 19 2013, 16:58

I will say 2-0 to Stour, and 373 for the crowd.

6St Neots match thread Empty Re: St Neots match thread Mon Aug 19 2013, 17:12

Tricky Tree

Tricky Tree

Is the game definitely on then after the cock up with the tree cutting?
I've heard conflicting reports.

7St Neots match thread Empty Re: St Neots match thread Mon Aug 19 2013, 22:46

Tricky Tree

Tricky Tree

Ulster says that he alone has been working like a slave repairing the pitch and the game WILL go ahead tomorrow night.
If that now goes tits up you can all blame our loveable Ulster loyalist.

8St Neots match thread Empty Re: St Neots match thread Mon Aug 19 2013, 23:00

UlsterJim

UlsterJim

Tricky Tree wrote:Ulster says that he alone has been working like a slave repairing the pitch and the game WILL go ahead tomorrow night.
If that now goes tits up you can all blame our loveable Ulster loyalist.
You been drinking tonight Tricky, talking even less sense than usual. lol

http://www.nibadges.com

9St Neots match thread Empty Re: St Neots match thread Tue Aug 20 2013, 13:16

If the game is on the crowd will be bigger than usual because of all the people coming to see the charity cricket match, that according to the papers is supposed to start at 6:30pm Wink

10St Neots match thread Empty Re: St Neots match thread Tue Aug 20 2013, 14:47

UlsterJim

UlsterJim

sirsmilerIII wrote:If the game is on the crowd will be bigger than usual because of all the people coming to see the charity cricket match, that according to the papers is supposed to start at 6:30pm Wink
Game is definitely on!

11St Neots match thread Empty Re: St Neots match thread Tue Aug 20 2013, 16:23

UlsterJim

UlsterJim

My prediction tonight is 3-1 Stour with 1 Geddes penalty and a crowd of 475.

12St Neots match thread Empty Re: St Neots match thread Tue Aug 20 2013, 16:34

Tricky Tree

Tricky Tree

2-1 with 502 in attendance.

13St Neots match thread Empty Re: St Neots match thread Tue Aug 20 2013, 16:39

Jack

Jack
Admin

No point going now. Jim has told us the result. Booo! Sad Wink

14St Neots match thread Empty Re: St Neots match thread Tue Aug 20 2013, 16:54

Tricky Tree

Tricky Tree

Spot on Nory....Ulster is the font of all knowledge.

Hands up if you love Ulster Jim.

15St Neots match thread Empty Re: St Neots match thread Tue Aug 20 2013, 22:10

Jack

Jack
Admin

Phew

16St Neots match thread Empty Re: St Neots match thread Tue Aug 20 2013, 22:23

stour_boy

stour_boy

Phew indeed.

Tale of two halves; first half on top and a lovely goal scored by Ben. Geddes oh so close with a piledriver from outside the box that whacked off the post before the keeper could even move.

Second half we did our usual and switched off at the start and they scored, and then they began to get more and more on top. They were in our box more but Benbow and Rowe missed guilt-edged opportunities to score whereas they did loads of pressing, plenty of threatening but didn't create as many clear cut chances as we did.

They were well organised and unlucky to lose, but it was a great header by Richards for the winner. Relief all around!

Worried about our midfield where players seemed to be slightly overrun and all of them seemed to have periods where they drifted out of the game. But everyone battled away and fought a lot and at times we played some lovely football.

It's a 46 game season and we will need to win undeservedly on several occasions. This was the first!

St Neots have lost two out of two but should be fine, they just lacked a finisher up front.

17St Neots match thread Empty St Neots match thread Tue Aug 20 2013, 22:24

redpike

Not a particularly good performance and a draw would have been a fair result. Bearing in mind that they are a freshly-assembled side, St Neots were a good footballing team and seemed to be fitter than us.

But a win is a win, even though we left it until the last minute. Well done to Will - that will really boost his confidence.

I thought Luke had a good game with Ryan being very quiet and missing a golden heading opportunity. Still it is good to have him back. It will take time for the two of them to gel. Am a bit concerned that neither is that good in the air and the substitution of Ryan with Will proved a masterstroke. Well done, Gary !

18St Neots match thread Empty Re: St Neots match thread Tue Aug 20 2013, 22:31

oldhillglassboy

Good grief what a finish, great header. Undeserved I think, but the record books will show 2-1 and thats what counts! Thought we struggled to get into the game until Billingham's goal, our best spell followed that and we could, probably should have scored more, like a lot of games we needed the second goal, if it had come I think we would have won handsomely, but once they equalized St Neots played very well and we where very stretched, it's a cruel game!

Thought Eze had a good first half but struggled in the second, likewise Drake (good to see him playing again), Benbow was our best player on the night I think, Rowe struggled as he did in the Kiddy friendly but he hasn't been getting much competitive game time this year, i'm sure his quality will shine through before long. A bigger crowd than I was expecting, hopefully an exciting game like that will keep them flowing in!

A few changes round the ground, (it looks very open all of a sudden) certainly having the catering behind the goal, with 3 or 4 hatches is much better than queueing in the clubhouse.

19St Neots match thread Empty Re: St Neots match thread Wed Aug 21 2013, 13:11

TRM

Any win is a good result! Very happy to receive what I assumed was going to be a "FT 1-1" text from Stourboy on the way home from London only to discover it was better than that! Thanks for the updates SB!

Interesting comments so far - perhaps this is an early indication that we are going to be "a lucky team" this season? Certainly better than being an unlucky one if so!

From what I saw of St Neots last season they have a manager who likes to play a pass-and-move system and will be capable of over-running teams in midfield on their day. However, they didn't convince me that they could turn that into goals at one end and clean sheets at the other (despite the fact that they kept two against us). Ultimately winning the game is all that counts.

Pleased to hear about the new tea bar arrangements - will be very interested to see that when I eventually manage to make it to a home game! Do I take it that loads of the trees have been chopped down behind the stands and round the edge of the ground from some of the things I've read?

20St Neots match thread Empty Re: St Neots match thread Wed Aug 21 2013, 15:06

Devil's Advocate

TRM wrote:Any win is a good result! Very happy to receive what I assumed was going to be a "FT 1-1" text from Stourboy on the way home from London only to discover it was better than that! Thanks for the updates SB!

Interesting comments so far - perhaps this is an early indication that we are going to be "a lucky team" this season? Certainly better than being an unlucky one if so!

From what I saw of St Neots last season they have a manager who likes to play a pass-and-move system and will be capable of over-running teams in midfield on their day. However, they didn't convince me that they could turn that into goals at one end and clean sheets at the other (despite the fact that they kept two against us). Ultimately winning the game is all that counts.

Pleased to hear about the new tea bar arrangements - will be very interested to see that when I eventually manage to make it to a home game! Do I take it that loads of the trees have been chopped down behind the stands and round the edge of the ground from some of the things I've read?

It was almost a case of Gosport revisited,i'd have settled for 1-1 rather than a late"sucker punch" defeat like we suffered to St Neots and a few other teams at Amblecote last season.

I thought we were quite bright in the first half,especially Billingham,Geddes and Benbow but Rowe looked well off the pace throughout his time on the pitch.

I've been one who has pushed for Drake to be tried at fullback but he had a poor game last night in my opinion,he look's to have lost a good yard in pace.I hope a few competitive games see the Drake of old re-appear.

Bennett has his hand's full now he's got Henry alongside him,"Eze" it certainly ain't gonna be for our rock of a centre half with a new left back and Henry to mentor through games,Henry looked like he'd been rolled a hand grenade to play football with in that second half!

I'd have snapped your hand off for 6 points from 6 and there's plenty to build on.

A word for young Will Richards though,i wasn't overly excited with what i saw in seven pre season matches but last night he really stepped up to the plate,his work rate and commitment to the cause was evident and his headed winner was a quality finish that he richly deserved,it's also nice to see us with a different type of forward option.

As for the trees TRM,i reckon the majority have been reduced by 50% all around the ground and it certainly made it feel a little different.

The council did however miss one tree,the "Tricky" variety was still there in all it's glory even though it does lack any foliage these days!..https://2img.net/i/fa/i/smiles/icon_lol.gif

21St Neots match thread Empty Re: St Neots match thread Wed Aug 21 2013, 15:08

Devil's Advocate

TRM wrote:Any win is a good result! Very happy to receive what I assumed was going to be a "FT 1-1" text from Stourboy on the way home from London only to discover it was better than that! Thanks for the updates SB!

It was almost a case of Gosport revisited,i'd have settled for 1-1 rather than a late"sucker punch" defeat like we suffered to St Neots and a few other teams at Amblecote last season.

I thought we were quite bright in the first half,especially Billingham,Geddes and Benbow but Rowe looked well off the pace throughout his time on the pitch.

I've been one who has pushed for Drake to be tried at fullback but he had a poor game last night in my opinion,he look's to have lost a good yard in pace.I hope a few competitive games see the Drake of old re-appear.

Bennett has his hand's full now he's got Henry alongside him,"Eze" it certainly ain't gonna be for our rock of a centre half with a new left back and Henry to mentor through games,Henry looked like he'd been rolled a hand grenade to play football with in that second half!

I'd have snapped your hand off for 6 points from 6 and there's plenty to build on.

A word for young Will Richards though,i wasn't overly excited with what i saw in seven pre season matches but last night he really stepped up to the plate,his work rate and commitment to the cause was evident and his headed winner was a quality finish that he richly deserved,it's also nice to see us with a different type of forward option.

As for the trees TRM,i reckon the majority have been reduced by 50% all around the ground and it certainly made it feel a little different.

The council did however miss one tree,the "Tricky" variety was still there in all it's glory even though it does lack any foliage these days! :-]]

22St Neots match thread Empty Re: St Neots match thread Wed Aug 21 2013, 16:13

Tricky Tree

Tricky Tree

Very droll indeed devil....I never noticed you last night.

23St Neots match thread Empty Re: St Neots match thread Wed Aug 21 2013, 16:59

Devil's Advocate

Tricky Tree wrote:Very droll indeed devil....I never noticed you last night.
I was stood next to Brockmoor and Nathan whilst you were jousting about "Connect 4" and you were about three feet away from me at the time!

Suits me being anonymous to be honest Ticky......just like Forest.

24St Neots match thread Empty Re: St Neots match thread Wed Aug 21 2013, 17:13

Tricky Tree

Tricky Tree

I need to open my eyes a bit more....
The tricky tree's will be back....hopefully in my lifetime.

25St Neots match thread Empty Re: St Neots match thread Wed Aug 21 2013, 17:34

baz

Thought was gonna be like deja vu from last seasons matches at war Memorial but we dug deep and just shaded the win! Hope Andre Francis injury not to bad,looked like hamstring? But nice to see Paul lloyd on

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum