Stourbridge Football Club-Unofficial Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Stourbridge Football Club-Unofficial Forum

The latest views on the Glassboys

You are not connected. Please login or register

Stratford - Home

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Stratford - Home Empty Stratford - Home Tue Oct 25 2016, 08:31

redpike

Not too disappointed to be out of the BSC but our performance DID disappoint.

Last night was an opportunity for our fringe players to impress but, apart from Brandon, they failed. I had thought that Lewis could displace Junior at left back but he had a very off-night, surprisingly poor in the air. Jake played OK but that's all. Likewise with Brad when he came on - he didn't catch the eye.

Am still to be convinced that Darryl is a better fullback than Kristian. I feel that we miss the latter's attacking play.

Was hoping to see Jack play but can only assume he is still injured because, to me, he and Dan will form a very strong central defence.

Like the look of Connor who seems comfortable with either foot and adds height to midfield.

In a 1st half almost devoid of chances, Brandon looked very sharp and, although similar to Luke in build and style, deserves more full games.

In the 2nd period, even though we pressurised Stratford, I can't remember their tall goalie being troubled, even after Luke came on.

Not sure if Stratford played a full strength team but they looked a useful outfit and deserved to win, with their number 9 and captain Gregory looking a good player.

Summarising, last night was yet another poor home performance and, to repeat an earlier thread, our strong in-depth squad on paper is not that strong.

We need additional quality players, particularly up front. It isn't as if the club is short of funds to be able to go out there to get this sort of player, like we did last season with Karl.

2Stratford - Home Empty Re: Stratford - Home Tue Oct 25 2016, 16:40

stour_boy

stour_boy

I actually voted for Lewis as man of the match, as I thought he had a good solid game! Brandon was excellent in the first half, and created our best chances almost single-handedly, but faded a bit in the second half.

We only looked remotely like scoring when the subs came on, as Tonks put Benbow in who forced their keeper into his one and only save of the game. The Sutton Coldfield keeper made one save in stoppage time too, from Darryl Westlake, so in the last two home games I make that two saves the opposition goalkeeper has had to make, which isn't good enough.

At the other end of the pitch, we were largely solid, and again - both Stratford and Sutton had one chance (albeit the Sutton one we may as well have booted it into the net for them) and took it, so it is hard to critique the defence too much.

Ultimately, we are not being clinical at all in front of goal, and our chances of improving that have taken a huge blow as Justin is out for the season. I know it is much easier said than done, but we are too reliant on Luke at the moment, and we need to draft in another striker or two.

Looking at how well Gregory held the ball up and brought his teammates into the game last night, I am reminded of the hole Karl Hawley has left behind. He did that so well - as well as popping up in the six yard box offering a goal threat all the time. I can't recall Hawley blasting a screamer in from 20 yards at all last season, which Luke does so well, but Luke doesn't offer as much threat in the box which is what we are badly lacking right now. How many balls last night went right across the box and out for a throw, as nobody in a Stour shirt was there to attack the ball?

We have a load of home games in November, and we need to pick up our home form quickly if we want to start rising up the table.

3Stratford - Home Empty Re: Stratford - Home Thu Oct 27 2016, 10:35

Brian Handy

Man of the match voting was as follows:

BRANDON HAGUE 19 votes

Lewis Probert 8

Junior Smikle 6

Kristian Green 3

Drew Canavan
Stuart Pierpoint } 1
Darryl Westlake
Conner Gater

1 vote to come.