Stourbridge Football Club-Unofficial Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Stourbridge Football Club-Unofficial Forum

The latest views on the Glassboys

You are not connected. Please login or register

Whitby - home

+3
Brian Handy
Devil's Advocate
redpike
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Whitby - home Empty Whitby - home Sat Apr 16 2016, 18:53

redpike

A good, professional performance saw us achieve a well-deserved win but one in which we had to show a lot of fight, patience and belief.

Until we scored, Whitby were giving as good as what they were getting but, once behind, they lost their discipline, although not helped by a weak referee who, it seemed, was reluctant to show a card but then couldn't stop !

Each member of our defence played well with Matt not having much to do -( isn't he quick off the mark, like a sprinter ?). Chris again had an excellent all-round game with his well-taken goal easing the anxiety (well, mine particularly). I was disappointed again with George and would prefer to see Drew in his place. Sean had a better game, albeit feisty at times and it was good management to see him subbed. Karl didn't have the best of games whereas Justin really deserved his exquisitely-taken goal.

Two more wins sees us with the all-important home game in the play-off semi-finals, but both Frickley and Salford will be testing games With Frickley playing also on Tuesday might be to our advantage. Let's hope so!!!!

2Whitby - home Empty Re: Whitby - home Sat Apr 16 2016, 20:01

Devil's Advocate

I made a poor decision today and endured a pitiful West Brom performance so I was delighted to get goal flashes from Baz.

Salford's last minute goal is of huge significance as it now means we can only finish above them by beating them and I just worry that beating a team of their quality three times in one season and twice in two days is usually unlikely.

Whatever happens now,if we are to finish third we need at least a draw at Frickley and that in itself is no "gimmee" so I hope we have a full squad to pick from and I hope Ben is recalled from Lye in time.

One slight dissapointment today for me was the crowd,536 I believe which I feel is very poor considering our excellent position and also considering the weather today.

I realise the comment might seem ironic from someone who wasn't in attendance but in fairness I do attend many matches including midweek away games,I just think Stour folk in general should be giving better support especially considering the great turnout for the "legends" charity match last week.

Surely a 700 gate today and at least 1000 next Saturday should not be too much to ask in the clubs position!?

Maybe the club should be rattling cages with local media and regional evening papers and also doing something to make next Saturday a real event to drag as many in as possible.

The next two weeks are absolutely huge for us and the lads deserve every bit of help and support the town can give.

3Whitby - home Empty Re: Whitby - home Sat Apr 16 2016, 21:04

Brian Handy

Man of the match voting was as follows;

CHRIS LAIT. 20 votes

Justin Richards. 9

Kristian Green 5

Leon Broadhurst. } 1
Brian Smikle

Wine was won by KEVIN BROADHURST

Thanks to all who took part.

4Whitby - home Empty Re: Whitby - home Sat Apr 16 2016, 23:13

oldhillglassboy

Another tough game for the first hour, settled by two great goals, Lait played well and was certainly missed at Matlock. I've been fairly critical of Richards at times but hes played well in the last few games, certainly felt the referee should have issued cards a fair bit earlier, then a huge glut towards the end, not sure the sending off was a straight red though.

In a good position going into two very tough games, i'm more concerned about Frickley, tough team and pitch, could have done without dropping those points at Matlock but water under the bridge now.

I think the crowds have been pretty good 450/500 with the odd 600, I think we will struggle to get many more than that and today was pretty good considering the opposition and Halesowen at home as well getting over 400. I would hope for over 1000 against Salford though, clubs gates have shot up when they've played them, it should be a cracker and probably very tense! Frickley will be the first game I've missed for a while, will keep everything crossed for 3 points.

5Whitby - home Empty Re: Whitby - home Sat Apr 16 2016, 23:44

Dave the Glassboy

Dave the Glassboy

oldhillglassboy wrote:
Another tough game for the first hour, settled by two great goals, Lait played well and was certainly missed at Matlock. I've been fairly critical of Richards at times but hes played well in the last few games, certainly felt the referee should have issued cards a fair bit earlier, then a huge glut towards the end, not sure the sending off was a straight red though.

In fairness, he should have gone a few minutes earlier, when he gave Sean a slap.

6Whitby - home Empty Re: Whitby - home Sun Apr 17 2016, 11:31

Devil's Advocate

oldhillglassboy wrote:

In a good position going into two very tough games, i'm more concerned about Frickley, tough team and pitch, could have done without dropping those points at Matlock but water under the bridge now.

I think the crowds have been pretty good 450/500 with the odd 600, I think we will struggle to get many more than that and today was pretty good considering the opposition and Halesowen at home as well getting over 400.  I would hope for over 1000 against Salford though, clubs gates have shot up when they've played them, it should be a cracker and probably very tense! Frickley will be the first game I've missed for a while,  will keep everything crossed for 3 points.

Why should we "struggle" to get more than that OHGB?

With a population of 65,000+ Stour should be getting a better turn out than that with all things considered,the fact that Halesowen get 400+ on the same day with nothing to play for reinforces the point.

It just seems a shame,i feel the team deserve better considering their efforts this season.

If we'd ended up in a play off final at home against Darlington you would've heard all of the usual whinging about ticketing arrangements from the 1000+ who can't be bothered to turn up most weeks.

7Whitby - home Empty Re: Whitby - home Sun Apr 17 2016, 13:23

sirsmileriiii

DA the team does deserve better, but unfortunately a lot of football supporters around this area follow the big teams like Wolves, Albion, Villa & Blues and they go there instead.

After all you yourself admitted that you went to the Albion yesterday instead of coming to watching Stour.  So if we can't entice you a long time fan of both teams to watch Stour instead of the Albion, what chance have we got with other football supporters in the area who don't normally watch us or any other non-league games.

I'm not sure how it can be done, but we obviously need to do more to encourage people to watch Stourbridge and make them see that non-league football is as good value for money as league football Smile

8Whitby - home Empty Re: Whitby - home Sun Apr 17 2016, 18:15

Devil's Advocate

Albion were the only side in the area that really effect our gates that were at home,the Dingles had played the night before.

If we'd been playing Darlington at home in the play off final we'd have had people moaning about ticket allocation.

In fairness to me I have Albion and Stour season tickets.

If we don't get 1000+ on Saturday I'll be very dissspointed.

Salfords film crew should account for around 50 attendees!

9Whitby - home Empty Re: Whitby - home Tue Apr 19 2016, 22:59

scoop

Sorry but I fail to see how someone who chose to go to Albion v Watford can fairly comment on a 'poor crowd' (third highest in the division against a team who probably brought ten supporters, although you did say you made a mistake.
It may be a big population in Stourbridge but try getting anyone to do anything these days that requires effort, never mind non league football which, however much we love it, will always be a 'niche' market.
I personally think Stourbridge's crowds are decent and have certainly progressed nicely from the 140 average in the Midland Alliance, though obviously many of the 500 plus who go now won't remember those days.

10Whitby - home Empty Re: Whitby - home Tue Apr 19 2016, 23:36

Devil's Advocate

I remember 1974 Scoop,I'm not a recent convert to non league,I've split myself between Stour and Albion for 42 seasons.

I myself made the point that I was at Albion,I could've easily omitted that point but I didn't.

You and others are missing the point,it was only really the Albion that would've affected Saturday's gate due to the other big ish teams being away or not playing and it's a valid argument to say that if a non entity match at Halesowen can attract 400+ then a promotion chasing Stour deserve more than a 500+ gate.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum