Stourbridge Football Club-Unofficial Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Stourbridge Football Club-Unofficial Forum

The latest views on the Glassboys

You are not connected. Please login or register

Halesowen home

+19
YeltzRob
Forza
oldhillglassboy
Jane.N
PhilC
Paranoid Android
stour_boy
Old Codger
Aled
barnstoneworth
Dave the Glassboy
glassboypaul
Devil's Advocate
dave w
samhistory
stoursi
sirsmileriiii
Jack
Baggiestour
23 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

26Halesowen home - Page 2 Empty Re: Halesowen home Fri Dec 26 2014, 16:10

stour_boy

stour_boy

Richards sent off

27Halesowen home - Page 2 Empty Re: Halesowen home Fri Dec 26 2014, 16:34

stour_boy

stour_boy

1-1

28Halesowen home - Page 2 Empty Re: Halesowen home Fri Dec 26 2014, 16:55

stour_boy

stour_boy

1-1 FT

29Halesowen home - Page 2 Empty Re: Halesowen home Fri Dec 26 2014, 17:31

Devil's Advocate

Dave the Glassboy wrote:
Devil's Advocate wrote:Looks like very cold frosty weather on Boxing Day so i hope the match is on,if it isn't i'll be forced to go and watch Albion! Mad

Hope the weather is kind and that we get 1000+ just to prove M6 Dave wrong Razz Laughing

We haven't had 1000+ for a league game against Halesowen in donkey's years. (Or for any game since 1993). Can't see any reason why Friday should be any different.

That said I'll be happy to be proved wrong because ka-ching ka-ching ka-ching! Very Happy  

1642 in attendance then Dave,so your doubly wrong Embarassed Razz Mad Laughing

A great atmosphere and proof that fan's can mix,cheek by jowl and not kick "Daffy Duck" out of each other.

As for the game,mmm,not a classic was it!?

You couldn't question Stourbridge's battling qualities in adversity after Richards was sent off but the quality of our passing,even up to that point was very,very poor.

Maybe Brockmoor and i are suffering from poor eyesight but did Richards really deserve a red card,from our position it looked like he was jumping to avoid the two footed lunge coming in at him,i couldn't believe it when the red card was shown to him.

I thought Morris had a very good game and Exodus was okay,i thought the rest of the midfield gave Canavan very poor support when he was in possession of the ball.

Benbow looked our only threat,from behind the goal we couldn't tell if he was actually offside or not but the game really hinged on that decision.

Much as it pain's me to say it,i thought Halesowen were well well worth their point,i thought they looked a very neat side and the better team on the day.

Todays crowd and the atmosphere generated in The Shed convinced me that the decision to put 250 seats in The Shed as part of the ground redevelopment is a barmy one,it's going to decimate the atmosphere at big games such as this,surely more seating down the sides or at The Church End would be a better way forward.

A pity we can't play the re match on the 28th or New Years Day,that again would have been a massive money spinner.

A well fought derby match though and a fair result.

30Halesowen home - Page 2 Empty Re: Halesowen home Fri Dec 26 2014, 17:37

Jack

Jack
Admin

On the balance of it, I think that was about right. They shaded the first half, and I don't really think we deserved to be winning at half time, but at the same time, they didn't really trouble Deano. I don't get the fuss about Haseley was anonymous.

I'm amazed about the sending off. I'm not disputing it was a bad challenge, however, BOTH men went in for it. So much so many of us in the Shed thought it was their player sent off. Simply a case of who roles around the most, and who's team mates kick up the most fuss. Thought we coped with 10 men very well all things considered.

Now, there goal, no doubt it was a very good strike. However, I have to disagree with the whole 'Deano could do nowt'. It wasnt THAT fast, it was atleast 40 yards out. I.e long enough to see it! That being said, he also made some very good saves and has been a stand out performer recently.

Dave needs to eat an awful lot of humble pie! Laughing Embarassed Very Happy Magnificent attendance. I believe you said 600 if the weathers bad-add another 1000 onto that! They didn't bring THAT many either. Proof that with the infrastructure in place, we do have the potential to grow as a club. The atmosphere was good. Fiesty, but a good fiesty. However I expect us to take more in Easter.

https://glassboys.forumotion.com

31Halesowen home - Page 2 Empty Re: Halesowen home Fri Dec 26 2014, 17:39

stour_boy

stour_boy

Fair result today.

I actually agree with you DA regarding the red card but I was roundly corrected by many standing around me - it was a strange coming together really - so I think a red was harsh but I think we are in the minority!

On the subject of cards - how the ref didn't book their player for that challenge on Knight??!!!

Hopefully lessons learnt stewarding wise as well - I don't like to criticise but maybe letting masses of people stand in the yellow area at the back of the seated stand wasn't the best idea. Certainly quite a few people were unhappy about that; it didn't bother me but just an observation.

The quality wasn't great but our battling and effort were top notch.

Benbow was offside in my humble opinion (no abbreviation!) but did have two other great chances to win it, one right at the death.

Amazing crowd - I was definitely one of the "will we/won't we get 1000, who knows" but to get 1600+ is absolutely fantastic considering our last meeting at Amblecote didn't get 800.

32Halesowen home - Page 2 Empty Re: Halesowen home Fri Dec 26 2014, 17:42

Aled

I thought we were committed but very flat. Typical derby in many respects. A draw a fair result, I too, from my position in the chicken run was surprised at the sending off. It 'looked' bad, and given the useless ref had largely failed to take charge of some of the 1st half challenges, perhaps he overreacted.

33Halesowen home - Page 2 Empty Re: Halesowen home Fri Dec 26 2014, 17:48

Jack

Jack
Admin

One other thing before their fans inevitably come on here and go back on theirs and moan about it not being mentioned, but the sending off being mentioned-Yes, you should have had a blatant penalty in the first half. The ref was useless. As they all tend to be at this level.

https://glassboys.forumotion.com

34Halesowen home - Page 2 Empty Re: Halesowen home Fri Dec 26 2014, 18:10

oldhillglassboy

A fair result, not the greatest game of football, hardly surprising given the terrible conditions, the commitment on the pitch and the support off it was first class though, I hoped the crowd would creep above 1000 even with the weather but no way did Iexpect 1600+!

I thought we where second best in the first half, thought Geohaghon had given away a penalty early on, the goal was great work from Benbow and very unfortunate for the defender who couldn't do anything about it. Big blow to lose Knight to injury, should have been a booking (no more than that).

Halesowen found it harder against 10 men in the second half, no way did I think it was a red card, Benbow did look offside when he put the ball in the net.  We battled well with 10 men and Halesowen didn't really look like scoring, talk about something out of nothing, I watched it all the way in to the back of the net and even I had to applaud a Halesowen goal against Stourbridge! they looked more likely to win after that, a couple of balls across the face of goal that where begging for someone to get something on it, nobody was there -thankfully!

Great atmosphere with  supporters mixing and giving support to their team - which is exactly how it should be. I hope in the forthcoming ground developments attention is paid to the cascading waterfall effect that happens on the terracing behind the home dugout any time it rains, feet wetter than normal today!

35Halesowen home - Page 2 Empty Re: Halesowen home Fri Dec 26 2014, 18:41

dave w

There's not much to add that hasn't been said already. We were poor in the first half, better in the second and battled well after a ridiculous sending-off. The ref was poor and booking their player for standing up to Deano makes a mockery of football.

The gate was incredible given the weather and credit to the organisation - in particular the stewards were much better than the Albion lot we've had before.

Driving home was nasty and I'm just warming up now.

36Halesowen home - Page 2 Empty Re: Halesowen home Fri Dec 26 2014, 19:50

Forza

Sounds like I'm in the minority but I thought it was a deserved red for Richards. I called it before the ref even went to his back pocket.

37Halesowen home - Page 2 Empty Re: Halesowen home Fri Dec 26 2014, 21:51

Baggiestour

Hey dave w if you think the stewards where better then why don't you try it next time fc United come down,see if you can handle them , talk is cheap.

38Halesowen home - Page 2 Empty Re: Halesowen home Fri Dec 26 2014, 22:16

dave w

Baggiestour wrote:Hey dave w if you think the stewards where better then why don't you try it next time fc United come down,see if you can handle them , talk is cheap.

I was stewarding football matches a long time before you were. Rather than once more arguing the toss with someone who has a different opinion to you, why don't you ask why me, and others, thought the stewarding was better today?

39Halesowen home - Page 2 Empty Re: Halesowen home Fri Dec 26 2014, 22:27

YeltzRob

A decent game in dreadful conditions, I thought we shaded the first half, but in truth didn't really trouble Coleman too much. We might have had a penalty when Isedyn was pulled back, but I see you're arguing the offside goal wasn't offside so I guess they even themselves up. A great crowd today, despite Smethwick being at home and the abysmal weather. Some great banter between the supporters in the shed as well and not a hint of trouble as the beer flowed easily. I thought your stewards did a great job in handling the crowd as it was fairly obvious that 1,642 took everyone by surprise. Got to say though that your 'one way system' was shocking, I understand the Health and Safety reasons for it, but traipsing across a muddy cricket field wasn't no fun either - my trainers are wrecked! If you do get promoted, and crowds like that become the norm, some serious thinking is required. All in all, a pleasant day, a fair result and hopefully some of the day trippers who came today will be back again as it wouldn't do either of us any harm if we both got gates of 700/800 every week. (It shows it could happen)
Hopefully we'll see you at The Grove at Easter with us both pushing for the play offs and a crowd of 2,000... we'll take the win then though ;-)

40Halesowen home - Page 2 Empty Re Halesowen home Fri Dec 26 2014, 22:35

samhistory

samhistory

Not a classic but not surprising bearing in mind the conditions. Now we can disinfect the ground with ample Jeyes fluid now that the yelps have gone home to Birmingham. Never a sending off as Richards was avoiding the tackle & how was their player not sent off for leaving his foot in which finished the game for Knight. Excellent attendance, easily the highest in the league today and a half decent atmosphere, Can not agree with putting seats in the shed, surely a seated stand behind the goal at the church end would be better and also add to the atmosphere at these bigger games.

41Halesowen home - Page 2 Empty Re: Halesowen home Fri Dec 26 2014, 23:15

Tricky Tree

Tricky Tree

dave w wrote:
Baggiestour wrote:Hey dave w if you think the stewards where better then why don't you try it next time fc United come down,see if you can handle them , talk is cheap.

I was stewarding football matches a long time before you were. Rather than once more arguing the toss with someone who has a different opinion to you, why don't you ask why me, and others, thought the stewarding was better today?

Not saying you're a bad steward baggiestour because I know you aren't but the stewards today were a lot more approachable,amenable and downright more friendly than the Albion mob.

42Halesowen home - Page 2 Empty Re: Halesowen home Fri Dec 26 2014, 23:30

Tricky Tree

Tricky Tree

No counting people into the shed again today either???
Strange that one.

43Halesowen home - Page 2 Empty Re: Halesowen home Sat Dec 27 2014, 00:04

dave w

Tricky Tree wrote:No counting people into the shed again today either???
Strange that one.

There seemed more in there than I can ever remember as well. In fact, the covered terraces were probably more crowded than would be allowed in any post-Taylor Report designated ground.

44Halesowen home - Page 2 Empty Re: Halesowen home Sat Dec 27 2014, 00:25

Nath

dave w wrote:
Strange that one.

There seemed more in there than I can ever remember as well. In fact, the covered terraces were probably more crowded than would be allowed in any post-Taylor Report designated ground.

The Guardian would be having a field day with all these obvious breaches of health and safety! Dudley council will be banging the door down:x Was anyone injured?......No. Was anybody's safety in jeopardy?......No. Why can't these t**ts on the council see sense and realise that they are being jobsworth pricks.

45Halesowen home - Page 2 Empty Re: Halesowen home Sat Dec 27 2014, 00:35

dave w

Nath wrote:
dave w wrote:
Strange that one.

The Guardian would be having a field day with all these obvious breaches of health and safety! Dudley council will be banging the door down:x  Was anyone injured?......No. Was anybody's safety in jeopardy?......No. Why can't these t**ts on the council see sense and realise that they are being jobsworth pricks.

Because these days if anyone did get hurt you would have a queue of ambulance-chasing lawyers stretching from the turnstiles to Wolverhampton County Court.

46Halesowen home - Page 2 Empty Re: Halesowen home Sat Dec 27 2014, 00:41

Nath

dave w wrote:
Nath wrote:
dave w wrote:
Strange that one.

The Guardian would be having a field day with all these obvious breaches of health and safety! Dudley council will be banging the door down:x  Was anyone injured?......No. Was anybody's safety in jeopardy?......No. Why can't these t**ts on the council see sense and realise that they are being jobsworth pricks.

Because these days if anyone did get hurt you would have a queue of ambulance-chasing lawyers stretching from the turnstiles to Wolverhampton County Court.

Exactly right Dave. Again, back to the politically correct nonsense. People aren't allowed to have any thought for themselves or common sense any more. Some faceless knob at the council has to make their decisions and run their life for them. We should start an off topic politics thread on here. I'd never get any sleep though! I can feel my blood boiling already! Twisted Evil

47Halesowen home - Page 2 Empty Re: Halesowen home Sat Dec 27 2014, 00:48

dave w

I do have some sympathy with councils and whoever have to deal with such legislation as you now have to cover all eventualities. It's not so much politics as a fact of life.

48Halesowen home - Page 2 Empty Re: Halesowen home Sat Dec 27 2014, 01:01

Nath

dave w wrote:I do have some sympathy with councils and whoever have to deal with such legislation as you now have to cover all eventualities. It's not so much politics as a fact of life.

Yes, I suppose you're right Dave. The Council are only having to cover their own backs at the end of the day. They don't want to be stung because of some serial claimant trying to pull a fast one. It's the politicians that have created these ludicrous legislations in the first place though.

49Halesowen home - Page 2 Empty Re: Halesowen home Sat Dec 27 2014, 08:41

Dave the Glassboy

Dave the Glassboy

Devil's Advocate wrote:
Dave the Glassboy wrote:
Devil's Advocate wrote:Looks like very cold frosty weather on Boxing Day so i hope the match is on,if it isn't i'll be forced to go and watch Albion! Mad

Hope the weather is kind and that we get 1000+ just to prove M6 Dave wrong Razz Laughing

We haven't had 1000+ for a league game against Halesowen in donkey's years. (Or for any game since 1993). Can't see any reason why Friday should be any different.

That said I'll be happy to be proved wrong because ka-ching ka-ching ka-ching! Very Happy  

1642 in attendance then Dave,so your doubly wrong Embarassed Razz Mad Laughing

Fair's fair, I'll willingly hold up my hands and confess I called it wrong.

Last time we played Halesowen the crowd was about 800 and I honestly couldn't see any reason why yesterday's game would attract any more than that.

Indeed, why over 1600 people decided to come out in such filthy weather to watch two mid-table teams is something I still find baffling. Not complaining though.

I'm now officially retiring from making predictions about football crowds!

50Halesowen home - Page 2 Empty Re: Halesowen home Sat Dec 27 2014, 08:57

Dave the Glassboy

Dave the Glassboy

stour_boy wrote:
Hopefully lessons learnt stewarding wise as well - I don't like to criticise but maybe letting masses of people stand in the yellow area at the back of the seated stand wasn't the best idea. Certainly quite a few people were unhappy about that; it didn't bother me but just an observation.

I mentioned to Brian at half time that they shouldn't have allowed anyone to stand at the back but of course it was too late by then. Something to think about next time.

We had a couple of moans in the main stand but on the whole people were mostly co-operative once we instigated a common sense approach to getting them through!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum