Stourbridge Football Club-Unofficial Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Stourbridge Football Club-Unofficial Forum

The latest views on the Glassboys

You are not connected. Please login or register

Corby Town Away

+7
Devil's Advocate
Tricky Tree
Brian Handy
brockmoor
Jack
stour_boy
UlsterJim
11 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Corby Town Away Empty Corby Town Away Fri Mar 14 2014, 15:35

UlsterJim

UlsterJim

A massive game for the club and one that I think we will win. Corby will let us play our football so here's hoping for an early goal to settle the nerves before we bang in another 3. I am going for a 4-2 victory to Stour with two Geddes penalties.

Dave The Llama will be in attendance and so far he has a 100% record.

http://www.nibadges.com

2Corby Town Away Empty Re: Corby Town Away Fri Mar 14 2014, 22:54

I will be happy with 1-0, as long as we win. But obviously the more goals we can score, the better it would be.

The big question is, will the physio have any TCP with him Laughing 

3Corby Town Away Empty Re: Corby Town Away Sat Mar 15 2014, 07:05

stour_boy

stour_boy

Can't make it today, but good luck to the lads! C'mon the Stour!

4Corby Town Away Empty Re: Corby Town Away Sat Mar 15 2014, 17:01

Jack

Jack
Admin

Massive win

https://glassboys.forumotion.com

5Corby Town Away Empty Re: Corby Town Away Sat Mar 15 2014, 17:17

stour_boy

stour_boy

Yessssss!!!!

Something tells me that brilliant comeback is going to be a significant point in the season....

Well done lads!

6Corby Town Away Empty Re: Corby Town Away Sun Mar 16 2014, 09:47

An excellent all round performance from the players, and a well deserved victory.  Coming back after going 3-1 down was brilliant for those who saw the 2nd half Razz , and it was nice to see the players playing as a team again.

As stour_boy has already said hopefully this result will be a positive turning point for the remainder of the season.  I am now looking forward to the next match on tuesday, I just hope the Llama shows up as well as it seems to be our lucky mascot

7Corby Town Away Empty Re: Corby Town Away Sun Mar 16 2014, 14:24

Jack

Jack
Admin

Anyone who went going to fill us in who didn't? After a potentially massive win in the season hardly fair that there's no reaction! If we'd lost there would have been no doubt! Very Happy Rolling Eyes 

8Corby Town Away Empty Re: Corby Town Away Sun Mar 16 2014, 14:48

brockmoor

brockmoor

A great result which i personally didnt expect.

I cant comment on the game as i couldnt make it, however we seem to be playing better away from home at moment.

Hopefully this is the start of a good run which i believe we need to go on, if were to make play offs.

I believe we need 20pts from our last 9 games to make it.

It is possible and it maybe a little less is needed if we can win at Poole.

RED ARMY.

9Corby Town Away Empty Re: Corby Town Away Sun Mar 16 2014, 15:39

Brian Handy

Jack wrote:Anyone who went going to fill us in who didn't? After a potentially massive win in the season hardly fair that there's no reaction! If we'd lost there would have been no doubt! Very Happy Rolling Eyes 

We started brightly and sean scored a good goal from 20 yds, we created a couple more chances but slowly Corby got on top playing some good football as we started to show an inability to keep the ball. It was no surprise when Corby equalised with a well worked goal. Corby were in command at this stage and created some good chances. We struggled to make any impression on their goal and play any kind of passing game. As the half drew to a close we stared to get back into the game and created a couple of half chances. Just as it seemed we would go in level we needlessly gave the ball away again to gift Corby the chance to take the lead which they duly did so.

At half time Ben Birch was replaced by Jordon and Leon went into the centre of defence alongside Will.

Again we started the half brightly, luke forcing a good save from their keeper. However we soon faded again and on the hour Corby scored a third from the spot. From the restart we seem to roll up our sleeves, dig deep and found some of the team spirit which (imo) has been missing from the last 2 home games. We got at them and stopped their passing game and started getting the ball into their penalty area forcing them to defend and make errors. Twice in quick succession we created panic in their box, with first Knight then Brown turning the ball into the goal to draw level. Must give the ref credit here as he did not give a foul when their keeper went down under a fair challenge for the first goal as so often happens in those situations.

We were on top now and a ball down the left channel saw Luke burst in the box only to be pushed over. The keeper almost got a hand to seans resulting spot kick (so i'm told as I had to look away !!!) and we took the lead. Sean chased a long ball which the keeper came to collect. As they passed each other the keeper seemed to indicate that sean had took a kick at him. This caused the Corby players to surround sean who was pushed to the ground resulting in the Corby player receiving a red card. Stour supporters in a better position than me think that sean was not to blame. We survived a few scares in the final minutes (don't we always) to take a well deserved 3 points.

We have played better football this season but there is denying the great spirit and determination the team showed in the second half. I spoke to Ben B in the bar after the game and I hope he will not mind repeating what he said, 'This just shows what we can do if we all give 100% and play as a team' .

Over the last 10 years our tremendous team spirit has been one of our greatest assets, I hope this signals a return to that state.

MotM was Sean with 6 votes, Leon got 4, Luke & Will 3, Netan & Kayeldon 1 vote.

Steve Sidaway won the wine.

10Corby Town Away Empty Re: Corby Town Away Sun Mar 16 2014, 15:47

Brian Handy

This from the corby website.

The video of this game could be used as a perfect example of how to throw away a nailed-on victory. An hour’s excellent football by Corby was wasted by an awful final thirty minutes and in that time the Steelmen went from a team cruising to victory to a defeated ten-man shambles.

Corby were stunned with just four minutes on the clock when a long range shot by Stourbridge captain Sean Geddes floated into the top corner of the net with Corby goalkeeper Paul Walker misreading the flight of the ball.

At this early stage the visitors were well worth their lead and could have added to it. In the ninth minute Corby centre back Nathan Stanton was booked for a foul on the edge of the box but the resulting free kick was well saved by Walker.

The Steelmen gradually worked their way into the game and were level on eighteen minutes when the unmarked Arman Verma turned in a Tom McGowan cross with the Stourbridge back four appealing for offside. Three minutes later Kalern Thomas sent in a dangerous centre which visiting defender Will Richards almost sliced into his own net.

As the game ebbed and flowed Walker had to be alert to keep out a snap-shot by Ben Billingham and the Corby defence held firm to keep out another free kick on the edge of the box after Paul Malone had been booked for a foul.

Then it was the Steelmen’s turn to attack again with Cleveland Taylor having a shot blocked for a corner and firing another effort wastefully high and Stourbridge goalkeeper Dean Coleman clawing a Claudiu Hoban free kick out from under the crossbar.

Then, two minutes before half time, Hoban fired a shot against the post and Taylor picked up the loose ball to beat Coleman at his near post and send Corby in deservedly ahead at the interval.

The Steelmen started the second half looking sluggish in comparison to the team which had left the field at the end of the first period but still extended their lead in the 58th minute. Greg Mills was bundled over as he burst into the box and the Corby forward picked himself up to comprehensively beat Coleman from the penalty spot.

At that point any other result but a home victory was unthinkable. Unfortunately Corby barely kicked a ball during the remainder of the game and Stourbridge took advantage to claim the points.

In the 64th minute Walker failed to claim a high centre and Stourbridge substitute Chris Knight, only on the pitch for five minutes, scrambled the loose ball into the net. Three minutes later the Corby defence were unable to clear a corner and Kayelden Brown made it 3-3 from close range. Then, with ten minutes remaining, Stanton fouled Brown just inside the area and Geddes converted from the penalty spot despite Walker’s valiant effort to keep his kick out.

With Corby now in disarray Stanton was penalised for an off the ball push and was shown his second red card in three games.

The Steelmen made a desperate late push to salvage something from the game but Taylor shot high and wide after working himself into a good position and a succession of corners were kept out by the Stourbridge defence.

CORBY TOWN:- Paul Walker; Kalern Thomas, Gareth Jelleyman © (substitute Sam Ives); Paul Malone, Nathan Stanton, Tom McGowan; Cleveland Taylor, Chris Carruthers, Greg Mills (substitute Pasulay Nijie), Aman Verma, Claudio Hoban. Unused substitutes: Tommy Wright, Harry May, Josh Carpenter (GK).

STOURBRIDGE:- Dean Coleman; Luke Benbow, Will Richards; Kristian Ramsey-Dickson, Sean Geddes ©, Ben Birch (substitute Jordan Fitzpatrick); George Washbourne (substitute Chris Knight), Leon Broadhurst, Kayelden Brown, Ben Billingham, Netan Sansara. Unused substitutes: Andre Francis, Sam Tye, Aaron Drake.

REFEREE:- Mr Ben Cooke (Atherstone).

ATTENDANCE:- 361.

11Corby Town Away Empty Re: Corby Town Away Sun Mar 16 2014, 22:49

Tricky Tree

Tricky Tree

Thank you Brian....your report was almost like being at the game.

One point though sweetcheeks....."imo".....bloody hell what is wrong with people feeling the need to abbreviate?
You're turning into Jack.

12Corby Town Away Empty Re: Corby Town Away Sun Mar 16 2014, 23:21

Devil's Advocate

Tricky Tree wrote:Thank you Brian....your report was almost like being at the game.

One point though sweetcheeks....."imo".....bloody hell what is wrong with people feeling the need to abbreviate?
You're turning into Jack.

FFS....PMSL.

COYG.

13Corby Town Away Empty Re: Corby Town Away Mon Mar 17 2014, 07:54

Jack

Jack
Admin

Tricky Tree wrote:Thank you Brian....your report was almost like being at the game.

You're turning into Jack. .

Lol

14Corby Town Away Empty Re: Corby Town Away Mon Mar 17 2014, 11:16

Does that mean Brian's getting younger, or Jack's getting older scratch 

c u all l8ter at the game 2morrow nite lol! 

15Corby Town Away Empty Re: Corby Town Away Mon Mar 17 2014, 11:37

Brian Handy

at my age my fingers get tired quickly so any abbreviations to save me typing are useful. Very Happy 

16Corby Town Away Empty Re: Corby Town Away Tue Mar 18 2014, 08:57

glassboypaul

Why are there only 14 replies here yet 39 on the Hungerford game? Some people on here only ever post when we lose, and don't even comment after a wonderful comeback. Very sad.

17Corby Town Away Empty Re: Corby Town Away Tue Mar 18 2014, 23:07

Dave the Glassboy

Dave the Glassboy

I've not commented on this game because I wasn't there!

18Corby Town Away Empty Re: Corby Town Away Tue Mar 18 2014, 23:12

TRM

Highlights on Corby's website. You have to register as a member but it's easy enough to do.

19Corby Town Away Empty Re: Corby Town Away Wed Mar 19 2014, 06:52

Aled

I haven't been for ages but a return is imminent. Huzzah!

20Corby Town Away Empty Re: Corby Town Away Wed Mar 19 2014, 16:02

glassboypaul wrote:Why are there only 14 replies here yet 39 on the Hungerford game? Some people on here only ever post when we lose, and don't even comment after a wonderful comeback. Very sad.

I am not going to comment about your comment, as I have already posted a comment.  But then again as what I am writing now is obviously a comment, then that means that my previous comment about not commenting is incorrect.  As to the reason why I've commented having said I wouldn't comment, well all I can say is no comment.  So I will end this comment before I totally confuse everyone by commenting further when I've previously said that I wouldn't comment.  At this point the comment which I have made, having previously said that I wouldn't comment ends. Goodbye  Wink

21Corby Town Away Empty Re: Corby Town Away Wed Mar 19 2014, 16:25

Devil's Advocate

glassboypaul wrote:Why are there only 14 replies here yet 39 on the Hungerford game? Some people on here only ever post when we lose, and don't even comment after a wonderful comeback. Very sad.

You've only posted 3 times in 10 months,twice on the same day earlier this week and you're castigating good regular poster's about their input.

You do a classic line in irony.

22Corby Town Away Empty Re: Corby Town Away Wed Mar 19 2014, 20:50

UlsterJim

UlsterJim

TRM wrote:Highlights on Corby's website. You have to register as a member but it's easy enough to do.

On YouTube too.

http://www.nibadges.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum