Stourbridge Football Club-Unofficial Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Stourbridge Football Club-Unofficial Forum

The latest views on the Glassboys

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Shed End.

+10
flexcavana
dave w
Dave the Glassboy
TRM
stour_boy
baz
Tricky Tree
Nathan Gulliver
brockmoor
Devil's Advocate
14 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1The Shed End. Empty The Shed End. Thu Oct 31 2013, 11:08

Devil's Advocate

Our dear old shed always becomes a topic of conversation during our FA Cup exploits,mainly due to it's lack of capacity due to "health and safety" issues and based on whether the opposing side will be given it.

I touched on The Shed in a post a few weeks ago and TRM mentioned it the other day,in my opinion it's an asset we don't utilise well enough as fan's of Stourbridge.

This really should be the "home end" for Stour fan's,certainly we should be kicking that way in a second half if we win the coin toss and certainly it should have as many vocal supporter's in there as possible when we are kicking in that direction.

We really should stay in that end for both halves so that we can give the maximum noise output but kicking that way and filling it for second halves needs to become the norm!

So the campaign to establish this starts here,if any of you know the players or management could you get their view's on the matter and if they agree they will then need to remind the captain about this and we then need to play our part by encouraging people to make their way to the Shed.

Certainly against Biggleswade i do NOT want to see their lot frequenting that end and gaining a vocal advantage.

2The Shed End. Empty Re: The Shed End. Thu Oct 31 2013, 11:26

brockmoor

brockmoor

Devil's Advocate wrote:Our dear old shed always becomes a topic of conversation during our FA Cup exploits,mainly due to it's lack of capacity due to "health and safety" issues and based on whether the opposing side will be given it.

I touched on The Shed in a post a few weeks ago and TRM mentioned it the other day,in my opinion it's an asset we don't utilise well enough as fan's of Stourbridge.

This really should be the "home end" for Stour fan's,certainly we should be kicking that way in a second half if we win the coin toss and certainly it should have as many vocal supporter's in there as possible when we are kicking in that direction.

We really should stay in that end for both halves so that we can give the maximum noise output but kicking that way and filling it for second halves needs to become the norm!

So the campaign to establish this starts here,if any of you know the players or management could you get their view's on the matter and if they agree they will then need to remind the captain about this and we then need to play our part by encouraging people to make their way to the Shed.

Certainly against Biggleswade i do NOT want to see their lot frequenting that end and gaining a vocal advantage.
This will never happen.

Every fan wants to be behind or near the goal their team are attacking. I think to much is made of 'Shedgate'. I personally dont mind attacking the Church End in the second half and see no reason to change this. We are vocal enough without a roof to make it count. Afterall it didnt do us to badly against Plymouth did it!

It can also be psychological for the players, I personally wouldnt be looking to change anything in the short term, especially for a 1st Round F.A.Cup match. Very Happy 

3The Shed End. Empty Re: The Shed End. Thu Oct 31 2013, 11:43

Devil's Advocate

brockmoor wrote:
Devil's Advocate wrote:Our dear old shed always becomes a topic of conversation during our FA Cup exploits,mainly due to it's lack of capacity due to "health and safety" issues and based on whether the opposing side will be given it.

This will never happen.

Every fan wants to be behind or near the goal their team are attacking. I think to much is made of 'Shedgate'. I personally dont mind attacking the Church End in the second half and see no reason to change this. We are vocal enough without a roof to make it count. Afterall it didnt do us to badly against Plymouth did it!

It can also be psychological for the players, I personally wouldnt be looking to change anything in the short term, especially for a 1st Round F.A.Cup match. Very Happy 

The tripe you've just written explains why your reputation is -4 on here Brock :-]]

4The Shed End. Empty Re: The Shed End. Thu Oct 31 2013, 11:48

brockmoor

brockmoor

Devil's Advocate wrote:
brockmoor wrote:

This will never happen.

The tripe you've just written explains why your reputation is -4 on here Brock :-]]

What was that song?

Thats it..... Nobody likes me and I dont care! Wink 

5The Shed End. Empty Re: The Shed End. Thu Oct 31 2013, 11:53

Devil's Advocate

brockmoor wrote:
Devil's Advocate wrote:
brockmoor wrote:

This will never happen.

What was that song?

Thats it..... Nobody likes me and I dont care! Wink 

I'm sat here on the edge of Lye joining in with the chorus Neil :-]]

6The Shed End. Empty Re: The Shed End. Thu Oct 31 2013, 11:58

Nathan Gulliver

We attacked The Shed 2nd half against Curzon Ashton and that Certainly didn't have any negative effect on the players. The atmosphere IS always so much better attacking that end so we really should use this to our advantage. If the game is tight then I genuinely think that attacking The Shed 2nd half can make a huge difference in our favour.

7The Shed End. Empty Re: The Shed End. Thu Oct 31 2013, 12:03

Devil's Advocate

Nathan Gulliver wrote:We attacked The Shed 2nd half against Curzon Ashton and that Certainly didn't have any negative effect on the players. The atmosphere IS always so much better attacking that end so we really should use this to our advantage. If the game is tight then I genuinely think that attacking The Shed 2nd half can make a huge difference in our favour.
You always talk such sense Nathan :-]]

Back in the 70's especially, the Shed was always well filled when we attacked in that direction,over the years though the number of people making their way up to it has dwindled.

I suppose some of it is due to age,it's understandable now that Brock now has problems climbing stairs.

Hopefully the upgrade work in the Shed will feature a handrail and a Stanna stairlift for him and Alan Oakley.

8The Shed End. Empty Re: The Shed End. Thu Oct 31 2013, 12:23

Tricky Tree

Tricky Tree

Devil's Advocate wrote:
Nathan Gulliver wrote:We attacked The Shed 2nd half against Curzon Ashton and that Certainly didn't have any negative effect on the players. The atmosphere IS always so much better attacking that end so we really should use this to our advantage. If the game is tight then I genuinely think that attacking The Shed 2nd half can make a huge difference in our favour.

Back in the 70's especially, the Shed was always well filled when we attacked in that direction,over the years though the number of people making their way up to it has dwindled.

I suppose some of it is due to age,it's understandable now that Brock now has problems climbing stairs.

Hopefully the upgrade work in the Shed will feature a handrail and a Stanna stairlift for him and Alan Oakley.
Especially when he agrees with you eh Devil?Very Happy 

9The Shed End. Empty Re: The Shed End. Thu Oct 31 2013, 12:24

brockmoor

brockmoor

Devil's Advocate wrote:

Fingers crossed it will also have a sound proofed box that we can lock you in, so we dont have to hear your drivel every week DA. lol! 

It was only last weekend that we attacked an 'open end' at Workington, this again made no difference as we scored twice.

Of course it could help but dont think it makes much difference all in all. Especially in a few years time when the capacity is likely to be reduced to 5 due to health and safety! Sleep 

10The Shed End. Empty Re: The Shed End. Thu Oct 31 2013, 12:32

Nathan Gulliver

It was also far easier to access The Shed when we were able to stroll across the cricket outfield to get to it. This practice was stopped shortly after promotion back to the Southern League,when standing on the cricket side was banned altogether,although I recall Walsall supporters standing down the cricket side during the FA Cup match,so walking and standing on grass can't have been deemed that dangerous could it?

11The Shed End. Empty Re: The Shed End. Thu Oct 31 2013, 12:35

Devil's Advocate

brockmoor wrote:
Devil's Advocate wrote:

Fingers crossed it will also have a sound proofed box that we can lock you in, so we dont have to hear your drivel every week DA. lol! 

It was only last weekend that we attacked an 'open end' at Workington, this again made no difference as we scored twice.

Of course it could help but dont think it makes much difference all in all. Especially in a few years time when the capacity is likely to be reduced to 5 due to health and safety! Sleep 
The problem is of course that as a Lye fan you don't quite have the same feel for things at Amblecote as some of us.

12The Shed End. Empty Re: The Shed End. Thu Oct 31 2013, 12:43

brockmoor

brockmoor

Devil's Advocate wrote:
brockmoor wrote:
Devil's Advocate wrote:

The problem is of course that as a Lye fan you don't quite have the same feel for things at Amblecote as some of us.
And you dont go to Lye?

With those Dick Emery shorts and matching florescent blue jacket & hat its a wonder you get out of that place alive! affraid 

13The Shed End. Empty Re: The Shed End. Thu Oct 31 2013, 12:47

Devil's Advocate

brockmoor wrote:
Devil's Advocate wrote:
brockmoor wrote:
Devil's Advocate wrote:

And you dont go to Lye?

With those Dick Emery shorts and matching florescent blue jacket & hat its a wonder you get out of that place alive! affraid 
I only go to Lye in my capacity as your "Carer" and because i'm obviously familiar with the geography of the area :-]]

14The Shed End. Empty Re: The Shed End. Thu Oct 31 2013, 12:49

baz

Was telling the lads in both car journeys why started following Stour,that was a conversation we could put on forum! My dad followed Lye for many a year,and used to attend as a kid and noticed Stour were playing Bromsgrove in a cup match,and knew Fordy was playing but had not seen him for many a year since school,need an anorak to find the date and year,but over 10 years i think?? Cut a long story we did not recognise him with hair!! And have brought in an old school photo for the players to have a laugh at! Goin back to the Shed,was brought up at the AGM but cant remember Gary answer,stourboy has a better memory than me.

15The Shed End. Empty Re: The Shed End. Thu Oct 31 2013, 12:52

Devil's Advocate

baz wrote:Was telling the lads in both car journeys why started following Stour,that was a conversation we could put on forum! My dad followed Lye for many a year,and used to attend as a kid and noticed Stour were playing Bromsgrove in a cup match,and knew Fordy was playing but had not seen him for many a year since school,need an anorak to find the date and year,but over 10 years i think?? Cut a long story we did not recognise him with hair!! And have brought in an old school photo for the players to have a laugh at! Goin back to the Shed,was brought up at the AGM but cant remember Gary answer,stourboy has a better memory than me.
And better spelling and punctuation Baz..! :-]]

16The Shed End. Empty Re: The Shed End. Thu Oct 31 2013, 12:53

stour_boy

stour_boy

Yeah I think Gary said he feels we play better in the 2nd half kicking towards the Church End. However there can be no argument that the atmosphere deadens hugely when kicking towards the Church End.

Hopefully we can generate a good atmosphere in the Biggleswade game in both halves.

17The Shed End. Empty Re: The Shed End. Thu Oct 31 2013, 12:53

brockmoor

brockmoor

baz wrote:Was telling the lads in both car journeys why started following Stour,that was a conversation we could put on forum! My dad followed Lye for many a year,and used to attend as a kid and noticed Stour were playing Bromsgrove in a cup match,and knew Fordy was playing but had not seen him for many a year since school,need an anorak to find the date and year
TRM over to you! Laughing 

baz wrote: but over 10 years i think?? Cut a long story we did not recognise him with hair!! And have brought in an old school photo for the players to have a laugh at! Goin back to the Shed,was brought up at the AGM but cant remember Gary answer,stourboy has a better memory than me.

18The Shed End. Empty Re: The Shed End. Thu Oct 31 2013, 12:54

baz

I am doing it in bed and on my phone,so was taking extra precautions lol

19The Shed End. Empty Re: The Shed End. Thu Oct 31 2013, 12:57

brockmoor

brockmoor

baz wrote:I am doing it in bed and on my phone,so was taking extra precautions lol
First Nathan, now Baz.

When will it ever end? No 

20The Shed End. Empty Re: The Shed End. Thu Oct 31 2013, 12:57

Devil's Advocate

baz wrote:I am doing it in bed and on my phone,so was taking extra precautions lol
Too much information Baz.......you'll be giving Nathan a "hard on" when he reads that!

Hope you haven't got the dog with you!?

21The Shed End. Empty Re: The Shed End. Thu Oct 31 2013, 13:02

baz

What did you think i was talking about lol

22The Shed End. Empty Re: The Shed End. Thu Oct 31 2013, 13:30

Nathan Gulliver

Devil's Advocate wrote:
Too much information Baz.......you'll be giving Nathan a "hard on" when he reads that!

Too late for the 'hard on' Devil, I've already had my quota of porn for today.

23The Shed End. Empty Re: The Shed End. Thu Oct 31 2013, 13:46

Tricky Tree

Tricky Tree

Nathan Gulliver wrote:
Devil's Advocate wrote:

Too late for the 'hard on' Devil, I've already had my quota of porn for today.
Over to you Jack!!!

Nath......the sprocker hasn't had a lick has it?

24The Shed End. Empty Re: The Shed End. Thu Oct 31 2013, 23:06

TRM

I would love us to attack the Shed in the second half. It was what we did by and large in 1990/91 when we won the League, and the second halves of the matches against Tamworth (Henry Wright's late second goal to clinch it) and Corby (two in the last 10 minutes for a 2-0 win) are still good memories.

With the Bar being where it is and the route down to the Shed being such a long and sometimes slow one through the back of the stand, I don't suppose I blame some people for not bothering to traipse all the way round. Perahps with us kicking towards the Church End in the second half it does mean that we have plenty of supporters behind the goal we are attacking rather than everybody drifting round towards the bar 10 minutes before the end of the game. If we do need a goal late on there is plenty of support to "suck one in".

However, I agree with DA that one way or another we are not making as much of the Shed as we should be. Far be it from me to tell people what to do ( Rolling Eyes  ), but whichever half it is we are attacking that end it would definitely help if as many supporters as possible got their arses down there for kick-off (or as soon as possible once we know which way we're kicking) and stayed there until the half-time or full-time whistle went.

What is more important? A win for the Glassboys or necking the swiftest of pints in the interval? I know putting money over the bar always helps the club but surely as supporters on matchdays our primary job is to do all in our power to help the team win???

25The Shed End. Empty Re: The Shed End. Fri Nov 01 2013, 08:59

Dave the Glassboy

Dave the Glassboy

TRM wrote:With the Bar being where it is and the route down to the Shed being such a long and sometimes slow one through the back of the stand, I don't suppose I blame some people for not bothering to traipse all the way round.
It's not THAT long a route from one end of the ground to the other for heaven's sake - I mean it's not a distance that you have to be Mo Farrah to contemplate.

Are people really that lazy that they can't be bothered to walk just over 100 metres or so?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum