Stourbridge Football Club-Unofficial Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Stourbridge Football Club-Unofficial Forum

The latest views on the Glassboys

You are not connected. Please login or register

Sutton Coldfield Town - FA Cup Second QUALIFYING Round

+7
oldhillglassboy
Dave the Glassboy
Jack
UlsterJim
baz
TRM
Devil's Advocate
11 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Devil's Advocate

I will be away this weekend enjoying the sight's of Barcelona :-[[

I'd be grateful for score flashes etc if possible guys,thanks.

A game we should win but i have a sneaky feeling that an upset will occur.

Devil's Advocate wrote:I will be away this weekend enjoying the sight's of Barcelona :-[[

Just hope it dow goo to a replay, cuz I ay' never liked them artificial pitches as they ruin the game. They were banned in the 80's or early 90's as dangerous, and things should have stayed that way.

I think that being at home and with a good crowd behind the team we should just about win, but it certainly wow be an easy game Wink 

Devil's Advocate

sirsmilerIII wrote:
Devil's Advocate wrote:I will be away this weekend enjoying the sight's of Barcelona :-[[

Just hope it dow goo to a replay, cuz I ay' never liked them artificial pitches as they ruin the game.  They were banned in the 80's or early 90's as dangerous, and things should have stayed that way.

I think that being at home and with a good crowd behind the team we should just about win, but it certainly wow be an easy game Wink 
Played on artificial grass many times myself and the new pitches are fine,they're better than many actual grass pitches available at non league level.

Nothing remotely "dangerous" about them unless you try smoking them!

TRM

They don't play exactly the same as grass (better in some ways - no divots!) but they're near enough not to be a major issue. Sometimes the ball can "skid through" a bit, but then you get the same on lush grass when it's been raining.

Good enough for Forfar v Rangers yesterday - watched the first 20 minutes on the box and you couldn't tell it wasn't a typical early-season grass pitch

baz

A first team players feet did not like the sutton pitch last time!

TRM

We should win this one - Sutton are hardly setting the world on fire at the moment, and that's one step below us. I would expect them to be give us a tough game and I certain don't think it will be a stroll but if we can carry the improvement from last Saturday into this game then I'm pretty confident.

Does anybody know if Kalenda is able to play? I can't think Blues would be bothered about him being cup-tied, but you never know sometimes. Based on the St Albans game that might have a significant bearing on our line-up and formation.

UlsterJim

UlsterJim

Just clocked the full title of this thread DA. Good to see you know which round we are playing in this time ;-)

http://www.nibadges.com

Devil's Advocate

UlsterJim wrote:Just clocked the full title of this thread DA.  Good to see you know which round we are playing in this time ;-)

Very true Jim,if you can also start attending matches from the start rather than just from half time then the fan's section will certainly be firing on all cylinders!

Are you and Nathan actually back from St.Albans yet?

UlsterJim

UlsterJim

Spurs v Chelsea is on in the clubhouse before the match if anyone is interested. The Royal Oak closes tonight by the way; I for one shall miss it.

UlsterJim

UlsterJim

Devil's Advocate wrote:

I will send you goal flashes, should be pretty instant as I shall be watching the whole match this time.

Jack

Jack
Admin

Yeah, updates would be great. At United this Saturday so it will be the 3rd game in a row I'll have missed!

https://glassboys.forumotion.com

Dave the Glassboy

Dave the Glassboy

UlsterJim wrote:Spurs v Chelsea is on in the clubhouse before the match if anyone is interested.
Personally, I'm not remotely interested in a Premier League team between two London teams. And two teams I heavily dislike at that.

But if you're into that thing, I suppose...

The Royal Oak closes tonight by the way; I for one shall miss it.
Only ever been in once and that was when they were serving bacon rolls ahead of the trip to Plymouth.

It's not gone for good though, isn't it just changing hands?

Devil's Advocate

Dave the Glassboy wrote:
UlsterJim wrote:Spurs v Chelsea is on in the clubhouse before the match if anyone is interested.
Personally, I'm not remotely interested in a Premier League team between two London teams. And two teams I heavily dislike at that.

But if you're into that thing, I suppose...

The Royal Oak closes tonight by the way; I for one shall miss it.
Only ever been in once and that was when they were serving bacon rolls ahead of the trip to Plymouth.

It's not gone for good though, isn't it just changing hands?
Each to his own as they say Dave,i'd rather watch paint dry than visit multiple non league matches featuring two teams of dubious quality neither of which i support.

In regard's to the Royal Oak,it is being sold off and the new owner can choose to keep it as a pub,develop it for housing or even open their own "knocking shop" if they so wish.

This would of course be very handy for Nathan :-]]

oldhillglassboy

In a word, phew! i was already thinking how to get to Sutton on Tuesday for a match on the 3G, they can feel hard done by, deserved a replay.

Although we played better for the first hour than i've seen in other games, I didn't really see us getting back into it, unless it was a penalty (more of that later), both goals conceded where poor defending and the need for a midfield "enforcer" even more apparent.  Once we leveled and Sutton tried to hit back we where able to pull them around and forced some good saves from the keeper, I thought Billingham had taken too many touches for his first and did very well to get it in, the second was a sublime free kick (perhaps slight deflection) and after he struggled in the first half it shows how vital he is when hes playing well.  Richards impressed again in "both" roles, 20 odd minutes was a bit early for a substitute, but i've criticised the manager before for not changing things until its too late and in this instance something did need changing, it helps being able to switch Richards to the back to bring a striker on.  Rowe looked better than other games but still fairly average, Benbow worked his socks off, and impressed with Geddes, perhaps the captains armband has helped!

The penalty? I didn't see who it hit or where but the pace the ball was whacked made it almost impossible to be deliberate I think (a few behind the goal said it just hit the player), if your going to give a penalty and red card right at the end of an fa cup tie, it has to be spot on and i'm not sure this was.  Still i'll take it and look forward to the draw on monday (away at the Grove anyone!).

TRM

Not enough tempo in the first half. Allowed Sutton to get a foothold. We had a couple of good moves but generally we didn't make life difficult enough for them. They looked a decent side - Danks and the big no. 9 caused us problems throughout and we had the age-old problem of no "insurance" in front of the back four.

Don't know whether Kalende was injured when he came off - somebody else said he was limping - but I didn't think he was doing well so if not it was a bold change to make. I don't think Will had one of his better games at the back. He was ok on the deck but badly misjudged a couple of long-balls in the second half which let them get in behind us.

The second half was much better. We played with greater urgency and tried to move the ball quicker which made it harder for them to organise themselves. Two good finishes from Ben. OHG's thoughts the same as mine on the first - I thought he'd taken one touch too many. The free kick definitely got a very slight touch off a defender but I'm not sure the keeper was getting it amyway - he looked unsighted and barely moved.

We should have made it safe after that - enough of the play and enough chances to have wrapped it up. Poor defending from the corner to give them the equaliser. Good delivery but nobody went for it with any determination.

Couldn't see the penalty incident very well from the main stand but haven't seen anybody yet say it was blatant so perhaps we got a bit of luck there - Sutton certainly think so from what I've seen. Another calm finish from Sean.

Over all I thought it was another improved performance in the second half. Rowey showed much more of his old self and Luke played well. Ben had more about him today than in some games. Generally I think we're heading in the right direction. But we need to make sure we dictate the game rather than the other way round sometimes, and we still have to solve the "midfield problem."

oldhillglassboy wrote:Still i'll take it and look forward to the draw on monday (away at the Grove anyone!).
After the game yesterday I'm just glad that we're still in the draw on monday, but my money is on Leamington (either home or away!) Wink

The big question is, what's the lowest team we could get scratch 

TRM

Lowest team left in the Midlands is At her stone Town - Midland Comb (step 6!). Beat Coalville (step 4) yesterday having put out Redditch after a replay in the previous round.

dave w

Devil's Advocate wrote:
In regard's to the Royal Oak,it is being sold off and the new owner can choose to keep it as a pub,develop it for housing or even open their own "knocking shop" if they so wish.

This would of course be very handy for Nathan :-]]
You have to get permission for change of use.

TRM

Full results from the Midlands Section...

AFC Telford Utd 1-3 Hednesford Town
Solihull Moors 1-1 Leamington
Atherstone Town 1-0 Coalville Town
Stamford 4-1 AFC Wulfrunians
Stourbridge 3-2 Sutton Coldfield Town
Brackley Town 1-1 Gresley
Mickleover Sports 3-3 Corby Town
Worcester City 4-0 Coventry Sphinx
Belper Town 1-3 Daventry Town
Stafford Rangers 0-4 Boston Utd
Blaby & Whetstone Athletic 0-6 Rugby Town
Halesowen Town 5-0 Tipton Town
Carlton Town 1-0 Matlock Town
Gainsborough Trinity 2-0 Rushall Olympic

I'll start a separate thread looking forward to tomorrow's draw.

Brian Handy

After last weeks 'one step forward' the first 30 minutes was a case of 'one step back'. I thought we looked shaky at the back and had no creativity about our play.
We could easily have been more 1 goal behind before we got into the match. I thought we finished the first half the stronger and forced their keeper into a couple of good saves. Second half I thought we played much better and deserved to go 2 1 up, not sure what happened for their equaliser but it was very disappointing to concede after we had dominated for long periods. I did not see the penalty incident , but supporters behind the goal I spoke to felt it was harsh. But we are in the draw and that's what counts.
Kalenda was definitely limping when he was substituted so that could have been the reason for the change. Good to see Andre back in action and also see wurzel out wide for a while. As well as he has performed at full back I think he can offer the team more in a wide role.

Ben won the MotM with 17 votes, Sean received 7, Nathan & Will 2 and Luke 1.
The wine was won by Nathan Gulliver.

NickSFCB

The 1st half was that bad, i was going to leave at half time, before bumping into DY9.
Second half was improved, but still looked poor, defensivley we were all over the place. And could of been 2 down by half time, their keeper made 1 very good save off Nathan in the 1st half, and Will? had a free header just wide. Need an improvement soon.
As for the penalty, we were right in line with it, and have no idea at all what it was given for. Got a lucky decision there, credit to Sean who again held hes nerve to dispatch it.

stour_boy

stour_boy

Amazed that no-one has commented on the fact that five Sutton "fans" made more noise in the second half than 350 Stour fans made all game.

Whoever it was (memory escapes me) that raised the incongruence of Stour nearly always kicking towards the Church End in the second half has a big point. The atmosphere from our perspective totally died, not that it had been much in the first half to start with though.

Where have our singers gone?

stour_boy

stour_boy

Can't edit on my phone but in the above post I should have said whoever raised that point at the AGM.

I didn't buy the response to that question by the way. I think the management team think we play better in the half we attack the Church End because they are at that end of the ground. That's just my 2p worth though!

NickSFCB

I think any fans be it 5 or 350 will generate more noise with a bugle and a drum then fans without such instruments. Personally I'd of refused entry to this with the instruments (ala Trent bridge in this summers ashes).

stour_boy

stour_boy

I totally agree Nick but even if you take away the music element and just consider the songs they were still more vocal and got behind their team more.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum