Stourbridge Football Club-Unofficial Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Stourbridge Football Club-Unofficial Forum

The latest views on the Glassboys

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ex glassboys.

+11
NickSFCB
Nathan Gulliver
Aled
Devil's Advocate
Jack
stour_boy
brockmoor
UlsterJim
baz
TRM
flexcavana
15 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

26Ex glassboys. - Page 2 Empty Re: Ex glassboys. Fri Oct 18 2013, 16:22

Nathan Gulliver

Hot off the press, Lewis Solly has signed for Stourport!

27Ex glassboys. - Page 2 Empty Re: Ex glassboys. Fri Oct 18 2013, 17:43

brockmoor

brockmoor

Im glad his finally found his correct level. Wink

28Ex glassboys. - Page 2 Empty Re: Ex glassboys. Fri Oct 18 2013, 18:22

Nathan Gulliver

Always had mixed feelings about Lewis to be honest. He was either brilliant or totally not so!! Saying that,isn't that the same for any keeper? Mistakes always get noticed. Whatever our view on Lewis,he was without a doubt a loyal club servant and one of the 'backbone' of our side who stayed with us throughout our rise from the Midland Alliance to where we are today,for that we should be very thankful.

29Ex glassboys. - Page 2 Empty Re: Ex glassboys. Fri Nov 01 2013, 10:16

TRM

Ashley Robinson scored one of Daventry's goals in their 6-1 win at Hartley Wintney in the Cup. Now looking ahead to a trip to Chesterfield.

30Ex glassboys. - Page 2 Empty Re: Ex glassboys. Fri Nov 01 2013, 19:23

NickSFCB

What happened to Sam? I thought I'd read he went to Worcester city, but never seen he's name on the team sheet. Has he gone back to rushall or something?

31Ex glassboys. - Page 2 Empty Re: Ex glassboys. Fri Nov 01 2013, 19:57

TRM

NickSFCB wrote:What happened to Sam? I thought I'd read he went to Worcester city, but never seen he's name on the team sheet. Has he gone back to rushall or something?
He played in the Cup defeat at Lincoln in midweek, but according to the stats on Worcester's website that's only his second appearance of the season. I know I've seen his name as an unused sub a few times.

As a defender, he's only really likely to come on as a sub if there's an injury or red card at the back, or maybe if you want to protect a lead late on. If you want your subs to change the game then it's the forward players you're likely to turn to first.

32Ex glassboys. - Page 2 Empty Re: Ex glassboys. Fri Nov 01 2013, 20:33

Devil's Advocate

TRM wrote:
NickSFCB wrote:What happened to Sam? I thought I'd read he went to Worcester city, but never seen he's name on the team sheet. Has he gone back to rushall or something?
He played in the Cup defeat at Lincoln in midweek, but according to the stats on Worcester's website that's only his second appearance of the season. I know I've seen his name as an unused sub a few times.

As a defender, he's only really likely to come on as a sub if there's an injury or red card at the back, or maybe if you want to protect a lead late on. If you want your subs to change the game then it's the forward players you're likely to turn to first.

Personally i never rated him very highly.

Will Richards is streets ahead of him ability wise and i think our defence is looking as solid in the centre as it has in many a year.

33Ex glassboys. - Page 2 Empty Re: Ex glassboys. Fri Nov 01 2013, 20:55

TRM

I think that's a bit harsh on Sam. He could be a bit impetuous at times - drawn into challenges he didn't need to make now and then. And I was always surprised he didn't get penalised more for some of his aerial challenges. But he was a big part of the 2011 Cup run when he and Nathan were as commanding as any pair of centre-backs at this level.

He wouldn't be the only good player in our team over the last few seasons to move on and not do as well at a new club, whatever their level. The grass isn't always greener...

34Ex glassboys. - Page 2 Empty Re: Ex glassboys. Fri Nov 01 2013, 21:04

Devil's Advocate

TRM wrote:I think that's a bit harsh on Sam. He could be a bit impetuous at times - drawn into challenges he didn't need to make now and then. And I was always surprised he didn't get penalised more for some of his aerial challenges. But he was a big part of the 2011 Cup run when he and Nathan were as commanding as any pair of centre-backs at this level.

He wouldn't be the only good player in our team over the last few seasons to move on and not do as well at a new club, whatever their level. The grass isn't always greener...

Football is all about opinion TRM,you're always very quick to give your's and i respect that.

I thought he was cumbersome and slow on the turn,i think Will Richard's is a better reader of the game,more athletic AND his passing is crisp and find's it's target 95% of the time,he doesn't rely on the big hoof upfield.

Just my opinion.

35Ex glassboys. - Page 2 Empty Re: Ex glassboys. Fri Nov 01 2013, 21:25

TRM

Devil's Advocate wrote:
TRM wrote:I think that's a bit harsh on Sam. He could be a bit impetuous at times - drawn into challenges he didn't need to make now and then. And I was always surprised he didn't get penalised more for some of his aerial challenges. But he was a big part of the 2011 Cup run when he and Nathan were as commanding as any pair of centre-backs at this level.

Football is all about opinion TRM,you're always very quick to give your's and i respect that.

I thought he was cumbersome and slow on the turn,i think Will Richard's is a better reader of the game,more athletic AND his passing is crisp and find's it's target 95% of the time,he doesn't rely on the big hoof upfield.

Just my opinion.
And fair enough, too! I guess the last twelve months (on the whole) have shown that losing Sam, whatever the reasons, has not been to the team's or squad's detriment. Based on what I've seen so far, I would agree with you about Will. And I would have put Macca into the same category as a "footballer" when he was playing at centre-back.

If I'm quick to disagree sometimes, then I'm equally quick to AGREE at other times! Very Happy 

36Ex glassboys. - Page 2 Empty Re: Ex glassboys. Fri Nov 01 2013, 22:38

stoursi

Both Smith and McCone have gone to higher clubs than Stourbridge so someone must think that they are capable of playing at that level.

Certainly Heeley at Worcester is used to playing higher than what we are.

Have to say DA from comments I hear you think a certain player we have at present should be plying his trade at a higher but no club wants to take a chance on him apparently. Also you were the one that said Pridgeon played on the wing for Stour in the 70"s and you got that totally wrong so perhaps you are wrong again.

37Ex glassboys. - Page 2 Empty Re: Ex glassboys. Fri Nov 01 2013, 22:44

TRM

Nigel tells me that Sam has been at Stourport recently, getting back to match fitness after an op in August on a knee cartilage injury.

38Ex glassboys. - Page 2 Empty Re: Ex glassboys. Fri Nov 01 2013, 22:53

Devil's Advocate

stoursi wrote:Both Smith and McCone have gone to higher clubs than Stourbridge so someone must think that they are capable of playing at that level.

Certainly Heeley at Worcester is used to playing higher than what we are.

Have to say DA from comments I hear you think a certain player we have at present should be plying his trade at a higher but no club wants to take a chance on him apparently. Also you were the one that said Pridgeon played on the wing for Stour in the 70"s and you got that totally wrong so perhaps you are wrong again.

Apologies for the comment about Pridgeon,i was just 12 years old at the time and it was my first season watching Stour!

How's your memory for everything from 39 years ago,is it faultless?

As for your other comment about this "other player",yep,you're right,i have an opinion that Ben Billingham is a player who could play at a much higher level,it is an opinion….am i allowed one?

I don't get it with these "points scoring" posts i'm afraid,all opinion is fair enough.

39Ex glassboys. - Page 2 Empty Re: Ex glassboys. Fri Nov 01 2013, 23:02

stoursi

Not points scoring at all. Why would i.

I am even younger than you but still can remember who played in that side and who it was on that Sunday.

Yes i agree about Ben he should player higher and could have played in the 73/74.

40Ex glassboys. - Page 2 Empty Re: Ex glassboys. Fri Nov 01 2013, 23:15

Devil's Advocate

stoursi wrote:Not points scoring at all. Why would i.

I am even younger than you but still can remember who played in that side and who it was on that Sunday.

Yes i agree about Ben he should player higher and could have played in the 73/74.

It is points scoring Si.

Why would you bring up something from a thread from a couple of weeks ago on your reply to me tonight?

Good for you if your memory is better than mine,i'm 52 and am finding it increasingly difficult to remember stuff,maybe it's an early sign of something i should be worrying about.

Hope you enjoy the match tomorrow,give my regards to Baz if you're giving him that lift he wanted,i'm pleased to report he's a quiet and clean passenger :-]]

41Ex glassboys. - Page 2 Empty Re: Ex glassboys. Fri Nov 01 2013, 23:31

TRM

The memory is a funny thing. I can recall clearly things that happened 30 years ago (maybe not 40!), yet I have no idea what I had for dinner last night!

42Ex glassboys. - Page 2 Empty Re: Ex glassboys. Fri Nov 01 2013, 23:34

Devil's Advocate

TRM wrote:The memory is a funny thing. I can recall clearly things that happened 30 years ago (maybe not 40!), yet I have no idea what I had for dinner last night!

It was an excellent stew and dumplings :-]]

43Ex glassboys. - Page 2 Empty Re: Ex glassboys. Sat Nov 02 2013, 00:03

Jane.N

Snap TRM!! I am getting a bit worried about my short term memory. Shocked 

On the positive side, I am hoping I will soon forget some of the chants and conversational matter of Tuesday night pretty soon! Embarassed Laughing 

44Ex glassboys. - Page 2 Empty Re: Ex glassboys. Sat Nov 02 2013, 00:09

Devil's Advocate

Jane.N wrote:Snap TRM!! I am getting a bit worried about my short term memory. Shocked 

On the positive side, I am hoping I will soon forget some of the chants and conversational matter of Tuesday night pretty soon! Embarassed Laughing 

I won't Jane :-]]

One of the funniest events at any away match i've been at,it'll long remain in the memory.

Jack will be regaling people with the events 50+ years from now,it'll get funnier to him as he get's older!

45Ex glassboys. - Page 2 Empty Re: Ex glassboys. Sat Nov 02 2013, 07:51

Tricky Tree

Tricky Tree

Devil's Advocate wrote:
Jane.N wrote:Snap TRM!! I am getting a bit worried about my short term memory. Shocked 

I won't Jane :-]]

One of the funniest events at any away match i've been at,it'll long remain in the memory.

Jack will be regaling people with the events 50+ years from now,it'll get funnier to him as he get's older!
It'll get even funnier as he elaborates it somewhat.
I still smile at poor Jacks face as his mom desperately tried to cover his ears.

46Ex glassboys. - Page 2 Empty Re: Ex glassboys. Tue Nov 12 2013, 19:54

TRM

Lewis Solly in goal for Worcester tonight against Leamington. Sam Smith also in the starting XI.

47Ex glassboys. - Page 2 Empty Re: Ex glassboys. Tue Nov 12 2013, 21:04

Devil's Advocate

Connor Gater found guilty of breaking the jaw of a member of staff at The Crispin Inn.

Got off with a suspended sentence,community service and a £750 fine :-[

48Ex glassboys. - Page 2 Empty Re: Ex glassboys. Tue Nov 12 2013, 21:52

baz

Might laugh but Lewis had nowt to do in goal tonight,still cant believe Worcester never scored,they had at least 15 good chances

49Ex glassboys. - Page 2 Empty Re: Ex glassboys. Tue Nov 12 2013, 23:11

oldhillglassboy

Was at the Worcester match, carved Leamington open regularly but finishing woeful. Solly got a few "your not going to Stevenage" chants!

It felt like a home match for Leamington, Worcester in dire straits on and off the pitch, won't be the last on the list "when non league goes wrong".

50Ex glassboys. - Page 2 Empty Re: Ex glassboys. Wed Nov 13 2013, 12:27

TRM

Devil's Advocate wrote:Connor Gater found guilty of breaking the jaw of a member of staff at The Crispin Inn.

Got off with a suspended sentence,community service and a £750 fine :-[
Does he count as an "ex-Glassboy"?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum