Stourbridge Football Club-Unofficial Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Stourbridge Football Club-Unofficial Forum

The latest views on the Glassboys

You are not connected. Please login or register

Darlington 1883

+4
baz
Devil's Advocate
redpike
stour_boy
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Darlington 1883 Empty Darlington 1883 Sat Feb 27 2016, 21:12

stour_boy

stour_boy

Full marks to the players for effort, resilience and professionalism to gain another top result.

We took ages and ages to even get a foot in the game, and as a result the visitors probably shaded the first half - albeit Gould didn't really have to do very much.

In the second half we really started to press on and were rewarded with another stunning Broadhurst strike. After that we looked more likely to score a second than for Darlington 1883 to equalise - bar a few hairy moments we largely kept them at bay.

Hull did extremely well as a makeshift left back - in fact all the back four played well.

I have to say Darlington 1883 were a disappointment. They reminded me strongly of Stevenage - extremely physical and as a result, thanks also to a poor referee, the game was stop start and very niggly. They had no plan B at all - with plan A being hoofing it long time after time. If Scarr or Pierpoint couldn't win a header we would have lost 10-0 but as it happens their tactics suited us down to the ground.

Well done to all the players for a superb result. Not the prettiest game to watch of all time but it's the result that counts.

Also fair play to all the visiting fans who travelled so far down for the game. It was a great atmosphere on the side and all very amicable after the game.

2Darlington 1883 Empty Darlington 1983 Sat Feb 27 2016, 23:43

redpike

Today's victory was down to all of the qualities that makes this the best Stour team that I've seen, albeit in only seven years of following SFC. Bearing in mind we had hardly a look in in the first half, our defence was superb, backed up by again by a particularly hard-working Chris. When attacking, his final ball was loose on a number of occasions but he was always closely marked by a team that had obviously done their homework on him.

In the second half, we began to get more control in midfield and, once we'd taken the lead with an excellent Leon shot, set up by a clever pass from the always-impressive Karl, we were the better side playing at times good football.

Matt had a good game and was always a threat. Justin again impressed and proved a permanent handful.

Playing at left back, Joe stated nervously but, as the game progressed, he looked more and more comfortable.

The only player below par was Sean but we all know he can do better.

Darlington were a big and powerful side who don't like getting beaten but I can't really remember them having any real goal-scoring chances. Footballing-wise, they were not that good, relying on long balls up front.

All-in-all, today's was a good performance by a team that looks after each other, epitomised by Karl giving a pre-match friendly arm-around-the-shoulder pep talk to Joe - experience looking after youth !

3Darlington 1883 Empty Re: Darlington 1883 Sun Feb 28 2016, 00:45

Devil's Advocate

Darlington were shocking to watch,horrible hoof ball but that said,they caused us trouble in the first half because their players had clearly all bought into the work ethic required to make such an ugly style work.

I thought young Gould was terrific in that first half,he is decision making is really top notch and the speed at which he leaves his line is a real bonus to this Stour side,dear old Lewis does have the habit of doing the "Hokey Kokey" when deciding whether to come for the ball and Charlie tends to just come rushing out without a real plan whereas Gould makes the right choice time after time.

Although Dodd created the goal he does continue to frustrate,he needs to be told to whip crosses in earlier,you don't have to go past a full back to do this,we need earlier ball,at times you can see it's driving Hawley and Richards to distraction,making runs then having to pull out and start all over again…..GET THE BALL IN EARLY DODDY!

Good second half performances all over the pitch today but i went for Leon as my man of the match with Richards a close second and Hawley just behind him.

I know Stour Boy isn't a Richards fan but i really do hope he paid close attention to Justin again today…..he really was the catalyst for most of our good moves in that second half with his selfless wide play,channel running and hold up play.

We are on a real roll now,i still believe we can win this league and at worst get a home semi final in the play offs.

Can't wait for Matlock.

4Darlington 1883 Empty Re: Darlington 1883 Sun Feb 28 2016, 08:05

baz

Great win after a slow start again,good to see Lewis Solly there,he had his operation last week on his knee,was a torn ACL.

5Darlington 1883 Empty Re: Darlington 1883 Sun Feb 28 2016, 09:34

Old Codger

Yesterday was one of the most memorable days at Stour this season, because for me it was a superb victory for brains over brawn. The Darlington team was full of big physical players who at times came very close to over stepping the intimidation mark. I was really pleased to see Matt Gould stand toe to toe several times with a couple of their forwards who, shall we say, arrived a bit late! A lesser keeper may well of buckled under such pressure, but he is a real find & I do hope we can keep him.
Work rate was first class & I thought our lads were streets ahead in fitness and so it proved with several Darlington players completely knackered at the end, particularly their no. 6 who was really struggling in the last 20 minutes. Great performances all over the pitch from our lads, a fabulous mixture of skill, youth, experience, team work etc etc but for me man of the match, for his cool head under pressure and a great strike for the winning goal, was Leon. He will go down as one of the truly great players for Stour, long may he continue to grace our pitch.
Brains 1 Brawn 0........ Happy days !!

6Darlington 1883 Empty Re: Darlington 1883 Sun Feb 28 2016, 13:51

Brian Handy

Man of the match voting was as follows;

LEON BROADHURST 27 votes

Joe Hull. { 5
Stuart Pierpoint

Matt Dodd
Chris Lait. { 1
Kristian Green

Wine was won by JIM McCOMISH

Thanks to everyone who took part.

7Darlington 1883 Empty Re: Darlington 1883 Sun Feb 28 2016, 15:22

Brian Handy

You can view Leons goal on Darlington FC website
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

8Darlington 1883 Empty Re: Darlington 1883 Mon Feb 29 2016, 20:23

oldhillglassboy

A very hard fought tense game and great to get the 3 points we should have got at Bishop Auckland.

It was certainly an uphill task in the first half but don't remember Gould having a save to make, an absolutely great strike from Broadhurst which justified the celebrations! we certainly played the better football in the second period but certainly a nervous moment or two at the end! from what I've read their regular two strikers only came on after the goal because of fixture congestion with Salford on Tuesday, seems rather odd as this game was surely just as important. Not the greatest game ever but it was all about the result and a great atmosphere.

9Darlington 1883 Empty Re: Darlington 1883 Mon Feb 29 2016, 23:04

Dave the Glassboy

Dave the Glassboy

Dreadful first half as both sides cancelled each other out, a bit better in the second half.

Could have made a case for any of the back four being Man of the Match as they all played superbly and ensured that Matt Gould had very little to do.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]