Stourbridge Football Club-Unofficial Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Stourbridge Football Club-Unofficial Forum

The latest views on the Glassboys

You are not connected. Please login or register

Alvechurch 1-1 Stourbridge.

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Alvechurch 1-1 Stourbridge. Empty Alvechurch 1-1 Stourbridge. Sun Jul 26 2015, 00:59

Devil's Advocate

A very dispiriting performance in my opinion.

I thought we were poor at Cradley on Thursday,we should be dominating teams of this level ( even in pre season ),i'm not a fan of the old "it's the fitness gained that counts" mantra that get's trotted out by managers at all levels,class should show through but we are only seeing it in fleeting moments during pre season and those moments invariably involve Insall,Kristien Green and Lee Chilton.

Today we were rescued late on by another clinical piece of opportunism from Jamie Insall ( our only real shot on goal in a dreadful second half ),without Jamie on the pitch our forward line is non existent,the paucity of striking options is alarming to be honest.

I know i'm regarded as a moaner,glass always half empty,yet today i overheard a conversation between two stalwarts of the club support staff who were both saying we need not one but two quality strikers and fast!

Sadly,the remaining players from our halcyon days of the last few seasons are for me some of the weakest links during the five pre season games i've watched so far,solid squad members yes,first team regulars from this point forward…….sadly no.

The Alvechurch goal came as a result of "schoolboy" defending by right wing back Conolly.

On a sloping pitch like Alvechurch,even when my Sunday League side played there a few seasons ago,the defenders were warned to make an allowance for the slope when the opposition were looking to play a ball "in behind" down the line or on a long diagonal,you have to drop off just a tad to allow for the slope but Conolly was done like a kipper with the ball over his head and the run and finish for the Alvechurch lad was made very simple.

Peirpoint was constantly having to remind his forwards to close opposition defenders who were getting all the time in the world to pick their heads up,carry the ball forward and find a pass,at least when Insall is on NO defender get's a free pass,he chases everything.

I was particularly disappointed to see McPike turn his back on a defender having gifted him a ball with a poor pass,there is no excuse EVER on the pitch at any level not to close a player down and to put a shift in,if people like Ian Rush and Mark Hughes could do it then for anyone playing at Stour's level it should by the minimum requirement.

I think the time for experimenting is now over,the remaining friendlies should be about getting a settled side ready for the Whitby match.

For me the players that have cemented a place for the first eleven are,

Charlie Price g/k
Kristien Green r/b or wingback
Peirpoint c/h

Tonks Defensive mid
Louis Harris

Chilton
Dodd

Insall

For me only those 8 are nailed on starters in whichever formation we go with,Haywood also looks like he may be a cut above and might break in and although young Baldwin has been quieter in the last two games he'd definitely be on the bench for me and getting a run out after 70 minutes.

I think we need to find another quality centre half,a left back of the quality of Green and at least one proven 30 goals a season centre forward before we kick off.

If we don't find that forward and we go with what we've presently got i think the season is going to be a massive struggle.

Just my opinion of course but i am concerned at present.

By the way,great to see Ben Billingham in his kit having the pre match kick about today.Credit to Ben,he looks like he's in very good shape physically and once he get's that leg built up again i very much look forward to seeing him flying out there again.

2Alvechurch 1-1 Stourbridge. Empty Re: Alvechurch 1-1 Stourbridge. Sun Jul 26 2015, 01:21

Devil's Advocate

Correction,it was Scarr who got done with the ball over the top not Conolly!

3Alvechurch 1-1 Stourbridge. Empty Re: Alvechurch 1-1 Stourbridge. Sun Jul 26 2015, 09:29

glassboypaul

Yes I think it was Scarr - not someone who has impressed me much in the friendly matches. Think he should be let go before the season starts to be honest. If you're getting done as you describe DA at Alvechurch what chance has he got against teams from our league?

DA I wonder how many 30 goals a season strikers exist in the West Midlands area? You were one last season for complaining about non-local players having no pride in the Stour shirt (a point I fully agreed with) so wouldn't that be doing the samxe - bringing in some mercenary who was only here for the money.

If Hednesford sign a striker from us who hasn't scored this year - what price will a 30 goal a season striker be?

4Alvechurch 1-1 Stourbridge. Empty Re: Alvechurch 1-1 Stourbridge. Sun Jul 26 2015, 11:38

Devil's Advocate

glassboypaul wrote:Yes I think it was Scarr - not someone who has impressed me much in the friendly matches. Think he should be let go before the season starts to be honest. If you're getting done as you describe DA at Alvechurch what chance has he got against teams from our league?

DA I wonder how many 30 goals a season strikers exist in the West Midlands area? You were one last season for complaining about non-local players having no pride in the Stour shirt (a point I fully agreed with) so wouldn't that be doing the samxe - bringing in some mercenary who was only here for the money.

If Hednesford sign a striker from us who hasn't scored this year - what price will a 30 goal a season striker be?

I'm afraid that the striker/s tend to be the exceptions to the rule when it comes to paying out for potential mercenaries.

We've been spoilt in recent years by having Mark Bellingham and my old mate Rob Taylor and then Ryan Rowe scoring loads for us,to continually find prolific strikers within a spit of the town is always going to be a challenge.

We had Jordan Murphy as well if you remember so in this regard the club has done well to unearth some real striking gems in the last decade but at present needs must and from what i've seen so far we are going to find accruing goals extremely difficult because our midfield look's bereft of goalscorers as well,we had Sean Geddes adding 20+ from that area,that is another reason we need more potency amongst the strikers because with a lack of midfield goals and Billingham not yet ready to play we are leaving ourselves behind the 8 ball before we even kick off.

5Alvechurch 1-1 Stourbridge. Empty Re: Alvechurch 1-1 Stourbridge. Sun Jul 26 2015, 12:17

baz

Any sign of Matt Dodd? Not seen or heard much about him?

6Alvechurch 1-1 Stourbridge. Empty Re: Alvechurch 1-1 Stourbridge. Tue Jul 28 2015, 22:17

i'llgetmeamblecoat

Made it to this game on a very rare trip down south. Wouldn't touch Tonks with a barge pole. He seemed off the pace, committed needless fouls and obviously has temperamental issues. That type of player is invariably more trouble than he is worth.

Lait looked more dangerous than Smikle, but in the first half there was far too much hoofing towards their two big central defenders to suit either forward and Stour only got on top in the second half as Alvechurch ran out of steam (maybe only because they didn't use as many subs)?

7Alvechurch 1-1 Stourbridge. Empty Re: Alvechurch 1-1 Stourbridge. Tue Jul 28 2015, 23:23

Old Codger

baz wrote:Any sign of Matt Dodd? Not seen or heard much about him?

Played tonight against Stafford Rangers, scored twice, took the first particularly well, looked dangerous and improved from last season.
Looks sharp and could be good for us this year.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum