Stourbridge Football Club-Unofficial Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Stourbridge Football Club-Unofficial Forum

The latest views on the Glassboys

You are not connected. Please login or register

first pint

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1first pint Empty first pint Wed Jan 14 2015, 09:29

samhistory

samhistory

Was reminiscing over the weekend with some mates as to when and where we bought our first pint, all under age ( of course ). Mine was in the glassboys clubhouse probably season 72-73 or 73-74 as a 15 or 16 year old. Went with a mate from school and we ordered a pint of Watneys Red Barrel. We were asked if we were 18 & we said the pints were for our dads and we pointed in the general direction of the door. I remember resting the pints on the window ledge by where Jim runs the club shop now and hiding them behind curtains when the barman walked past. I seem to remember it cost 14pence a pint but i might be imaging that. Thought the beer was horrible and freezing cold and struggled to finish it. Can't remember who we were playing or the score.
Was wondering if anyone else can remember when and where they bought their first pint.

2first pint Empty Re: first pint Wed Jan 14 2015, 22:19

the nephew of god

I think it was a pub in Llanwrst in North Wales on an A level Geography field trip from King Edwards. Had previously got freezing and soaked chasing an orange down a river (the Afon Glaslyn I think) in Beddgelert trying to measure how fast it was flowing.
Funny how a question like this brings back so many memories!
In Stourbridge in the 80's we all used to go to the 'Somerset House' in Enville Street when we were underage because they would serve anyone. Folk of a certain age will remember passing round the provisional driving licence of the one person who was 18. The best thing about eventually being 18 was being able to go to decent pubs!

3first pint Empty Re: first pint Thu Jan 15 2015, 14:07

Nath

the nephew of god wrote:I think it was a pub in Llanwrst in North Wales on an A level Geography field trip from King Edwards. Had previously got freezing and soaked chasing an orange down a river (the Afon Glaslyn I think) in Beddgelert trying to measure how fast it was flowing.
Funny how a question like this brings back so many memories!
In Stourbridge in the 80's we all used to go to the 'Somerset House' in Enville Street when we were underage because they would serve anyone. Folk of a certain age will remember passing round the provisional driving licence of the one person who was 18. The best thing about eventually being 18 was being able to go to decent pubs!

The most amazing thing about all this Rob is how the hell you remembered all of those Welsh place names/rivers. I'm not even going to begin to question the spellings either, I'm sure you're bang on with those too!
Having left Stourbridge in 1983 at the age of 7 and not having moved back until 2000,I spent my early drinking years in Tewkesbury. Like you mention with the passing round of the driving licence, there was a pub in Tewkesbury called The Black Bear where this was common practice for all of us rebels in the Lower 6th. My first pint though was in Tewkesbury Rugby Club, whose clubhouse was adjacent to the aforementioned Black Bear. It was GL cider, a drink to this day on the rare occasions I come across it, I wouldn't touch with a bargepole. It was 1993, we would have all been 16/17, the Steward knew this but he was quite happy for us dozen or so to boost the club's coffers providing nobody threw up! I even invited the two blokes behind the bar to my 18th! As soon as we all turned 18, none of us ever used the place again, I still feel guilty about that now.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum