Stourbridge Football Club-Unofficial Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Stourbridge Football Club-Unofficial Forum

The latest views on the Glassboys

You are not connected. Please login or register

Whitby Town at home - The season begins!

+10
Aled
Paranoid Android
stour_boy
Jack
rasam
lyelad
glassboypaul
Taniwha
stoursi
Devil's Advocate
14 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Devil's Advocate

I've seen more life in a tramp's vest than on this forum in recent times so ;et's try to get things going again.

I can't make it to this match but will be at Ilkeston on Monday.

I'm confident we can kick off with a home win.

stoursi

Think a lot will depend on Gary's choices in certain positions.

For us to win then I think Ben has to hit the ground running and chose the pass at the right time instead of trying to beat all and sundry.

Please learn Ben it is a team game.

Hoping for a win and expect one too.

Taniwha

Can't wait for the season to start, I've missed my football this summer.

Fingers crossed for a winning start against Whitby. There are a hell of a lot of unknowns this season which makes it equally exciting but from the Predictions on the NPL forum, most seem to have us down for a win albeit a narrow one so I'd be happy with that.

glassboypaul

stoursi wrote:Think a lot will depend on Gary's choices in certain positions.

For us to win then I think Ben has to hit the ground running and chose the pass at the right time instead of trying to beat all and sundry.

You say it is a team game, yet say we will have to rely on Ben alone to win. That doesn't make much sense!

I agree with you that I hope and expect for a win too. Home soil, against a mid-table side from last season. Best of luck to the lads.

lyelad

stoursi wrote:Think a lot will depend on Gary's choices in certain positions.

in the pub just looking at the forum, and we can,t believe already we are trying to tell players what to do, having watched stour home and away for many seasons i cannot think of any player in the stour team who has made any more assists than Ben, i dont know if there are any recent records on assists, but it would be interesting. So Ben if you go on this forum which i doubt,  just carry on playing the way you do, listen to gary , and lets see you raise the bar this year, and play your own game

rasam

A good post lyelad better than the usual negative comments from the usual negative people on this forum.looking forward to Saturday regardless of the result but my gut feeling is a win fingers crossed.

Jack

Jack
Admin

For me, Ben is far and away our most influential player. When Ben plays well, usually we play well. And if we don't, Ben can pull us out of danger. Yes, at times, I would agree he does do 'too much' however, most of the time, he is very much a team player.

As for Saturday; with Benbow out I really don't know. Not a clue what to expect from Whitby so I'll go for a draw. Really am concerned at the fact you take Luke out the team we really don't have a striker. In my opinion it cost us against Chesham not having a suitable replacement and I see no reason to assume it will be any different if Luke is out again. It's even more concerning that it's acknowledged that his injury isn't just an impact injury during a game-it's an ongoing issue the club have been aware of for some time. So there ain't any guarantee it won't crop up again! Embarassed  Rolling Eyes 

Having said all of that, can't wait for it all to be back! Role on Saturday!

https://glassboys.forumotion.com

stour_boy

stour_boy

Got my season ticket on Thursday, can't wait for tomorrow.

A win would be superb on home soil. It'll be a tough test though I'm sure.

See you all there!

Paranoid Android

1-1.
Attendance 482.
Up the Glassboys.

Aled

1 up. Gonna piss this tin pot league.

Aled

1-1. Hackett out.

Aled

Won 2-1. Hackett in.

stour_boy

stour_boy

Good win in the end. Good crowd too - about 300 more than we usually get at Redditch!

By far the better team in the first half, we should have extended the lead on 2 or 3 occasions but what a lovely opening goal. Although Whitby did spurn a great chance to draw level with their only real chance of the first half.

Second half was like most games last season - lethargic, on the back foot and making the opposition look like world beaters. They fully merited their equaliser and were the better side for a period.

After a few tasty challenges went in and I did my first shouting at the ref of the season for failing to book their No 4 as well as Ben (how I have missed it!); and we brought Smickle on we suddenly looked way better. At least the No 4 got his comeuppance with a booking moments later.

Well worked albeit deflected winner but they all count.

Leon, Kristian, Ben and Sean had particularly good games - although Sean did pick up his first totally unnecessary booking of the season!

Great to be back, great to see everyone and can't wait for Monday.

14Whitby Town at home - The season begins! Empty Whitby town at home Sat Aug 16 2014, 17:40

redpike

We were well on top in the first half and should have had a healthy lead at the break, even though Will's uncharacteristic error did present them with their only look-in.

In the second half, Whitby became a threat and the equaliser came as no surprise.

But, even though we had been outplayed, the team rolled up their proverbial sleeves, with Sean netting a deserved winner.

Even though not everyone's favourite player, Drew had a good hard-working game, showing some nice touches and, at times, making some vital defensive interceptions. Ben's class was nearly always evident and we have him to thank for making both goals.

All-in-all, a good team performance on the day suggests we're more than capable of holding our own in the NPL.

Jack

Jack
Admin

Can only echo the things already said really. First half we looked very good, they looked poor, however I think we made them look poor. The goal was an excellent move finished off by a superb finish by Fitz-who was lively througout. Again however we switch off after the break and made them look good, which they weren't really. However, cannot knock the spirit shown to grind out the result. Was massive to get the season off with a win with 2 tough tests to come. However, and I know countless times it's been said and will continue to be said we really really need a striker.

Overall though very positive start to life in the Northern League. Well done lads.  Very Happy 

https://glassboys.forumotion.com

Dave the Glassboy

Dave the Glassboy

We probably should have won by more but the Whitby keeper played out of his skin and pulled off about half a dozen excellent saves.

Solid performance and a good start. First half was better than the second but apart from the goal Whitby didn't create a great number of clear cut chances.

Still one vote to come in for Man of the Match (send me a PM, Tricky!) and it's still in the balance but I can confirm that the winner of the supporters' draw is (no it's not a fix) Andy Pountney.

Tricky Tree

Tricky Tree

Put me down for Fitz please Dave.

Not too bad a start but as Nory said....we need a striker.
We'd have walked it if we had two recognised strikers up top.

stoursi

Apart from what has been said I can only disagree with the centre for midfield.

Thought Sean looked unfit and fitz for me aint what we need in midfield. He might have scored but that was it. Glad someone said about drew and it was correct on the day.

For me it was Leon or Ben as mom.

Roll on Monday.

Last edited by stoursi on Sun Aug 17 2014, 08:40; edited 1 time in total

Dave the Glassboy

Dave the Glassboy

With all votes now in, I can confirm that Ben Billingham was voted Man of the Match.

As already stated by others an excellent game, and a brilliant start to the season.

Am surprised though that nobody has mentioned the real highlight of the game, and that is of course the return of the Beast Wink 

NickSFCB

I am more interested with the return of the beast. How was he and will he be sticking around? Or was it a one off visit?

Dave the Glassboy

Dave the Glassboy

He reckons he's here for the duration, but it will depend on his finances.

NickSFCB

Excellent, all being well he will be present when I return in September.

Dave the Glassboy wrote:He reckons he's here for the duration, but it will depend on his finances.

He obviously never made any money, whilst being part owner of that brothel then lol! 

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum