Stourbridge Football Club-Unofficial Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Stourbridge Football Club-Unofficial Forum

The latest views on the Glassboys

You are not connected. Please login or register

Dan Preston

+5
Devil's Advocate
stoursi
TRM
PhilC
UlsterJim
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Dan Preston Empty Dan Preston Thu Nov 28 2013, 10:54

UlsterJim

UlsterJim

We have a new addition to the squad. Dan Preston a defender has arrived on a months loan from Telford.

http://www.nibadges.com

2Dan Preston Empty Re: Dan Preston Thu Nov 28 2013, 11:03

UlsterJim

UlsterJim

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Preston

http://www.nibadges.com

3Dan Preston Empty Re: Dan Preston Thu Nov 28 2013, 11:19

PhilC

Welcome Dan. I'm sure he's not the first, but signing players born in the 90s makes me feel old.

Be interesting to see how he fits in - Will to be pushed forward maybe alongside Luke?

4Dan Preston Empty Re: Dan Preston Thu Nov 28 2013, 11:35

TRM

Been trying to find out if he's Cup-tied. Telford's website says he was an unused sub when they lost to Hednesford in the Cup, so that's OK. However, he's just come back from a month's loan at Barrow and their website is next to useless, so I can't tell whether he played for them against Brackley in the 4th Qual.

However, the Shropshire Star says he "will be permitted" to play at Stevenage, which sounds like good news. After all, newspapers never get these things wrong, do they...?

http://www.shropshirestar.com/sport/afc-telford-united/2013/11/28/dan-preston-joins-stourbridge-on-loan-from-afc-telford/

5Dan Preston Empty Re: Dan Preston Thu Nov 28 2013, 11:43

stoursi

Personally would have preferred someone with a bit more experience but good luck to Dan on his month's loan.

Yes it gives us options with Will. I would like to see Will go back into midfield where he played before being converted to a striker late last season. He has played well at the back in a position he wasn't used to. I would like to see him go into our midfield and he may give us the bite we need.

6Dan Preston Empty Re: Dan Preston Thu Nov 28 2013, 11:45

Devil's Advocate

Okay so that's one in but these loan players do not have a big success rate with us,remember Ronnie Corbett's "lovechild" from a couple of season's ago,he came from Telford too.

I'd like to see three quality,proven players from the level above signed up pronto.

It's no good just having "bench warmers",we need new players in who threaten the places of our best player's such as Billingham,Bennett,Geddes and Benbow rather than "squad" type players who can "do a job if required"

7Dan Preston Empty Re: Dan Preston Thu Nov 28 2013, 11:52

TRM

Devil's Advocate wrote:Okay so that's one in but these loan players do not have a big success rate with us,remember Ronnie Corbett's "lovechild" from a couple of season's ago,he came from Telford too.

I'd like to see three quality,proven players from the level above signed up pronto.

It's no good just having "bench warmers",we need new players in who threaten the places of our best player's such as Billingham,Bennett,Geddes and Benbow rather than "squad" type players who can "do a job if required"
So would I!

But budgets and all that... I know we have "money in the bank" but "quality, proven players" from Conf North are only going to join us for that reason (money) if they're worth their salt, and I'm not sure we could or should be competing financially with higher level clubs for those kinds of players - certainly not three of them.

I would love to see us go the extra mile to bring in one player, though - the type of "enforcer" we've all talked about from a higher level to do a specific job in our midfield. I think that could make a hell of a difference to us.

Last edited by TRM on Thu Nov 28 2013, 11:59; edited 1 time in total

8Dan Preston Empty Re: Dan Preston Thu Nov 28 2013, 11:53

TRM

BREAKING NEWS!!!

Apparently Dan Preston is James McPike's brother-in-law.

9Dan Preston Empty Re: Dan Preston Thu Nov 28 2013, 11:54

TRM

Racking my brains, but can't remember anybody fitting the description of Ronnie Corbett's lovechild. No doubt it's bleedin' obvious...

10Dan Preston Empty Re: Dan Preston Thu Nov 28 2013, 12:03

Devil's Advocate

TRM wrote:Racking my brains, but can't remember anybody fitting the description of Ronnie Corbett's lovechild. No doubt it's bleedin' obvious...
Mitchell the midget,made Adam Ward look like The Hulk and was absolutely hopeless.

11Dan Preston Empty Re: Dan Preston Thu Nov 28 2013, 12:04

Devil's Advocate

TRM wrote:BREAKING NEWS!!!

Stepbrother TRM.

12Dan Preston Empty Re: Dan Preston Thu Nov 28 2013, 12:08

Devil's Advocate

TRM wrote:
Devil's Advocate wrote:Okay so that's one in but these loan players do not have a big success rate with us,remember Ronnie Corbett's "lovechild" from a couple of season's ago,he came from Telford too.

So would I!

But budgets and all that... I know we have "money in the bank" but "quality, proven players" from Conf North are only going to join us for that reason (money) if they're worth their salt, and I'm not sure we could or should be competing financially with higher level clubs for those kinds of players - certainly not three of them.

I would love to see us go the extra mile to bring in one player, though - the type of "enforcer" we've all talked about from a higher level to do a specific job in our midfield. I think that could make a hell of a difference to us.

If we'd signed Mackey a couple of months earlier last season i'm convinced we'd have gone up as champions.

I can't see the point of having £150,000+ in the bank "ready for when we do go up",that could well be a day that never comes.

I don't advocate spending all of it by any means but if we don't try to break this cycle of decent cup runs but just falling short in the league then it will be disappointing and a wasted opportunity.

13Dan Preston Empty Re: Dan Preston Thu Nov 28 2013, 12:12

TRM

Devil's Advocate wrote:
TRM wrote:BREAKING NEWS!!!

Stepbrother TRM.
Indeed, I read it wrongly! Embarassed 

14Dan Preston Empty Re: Dan Preston Thu Nov 28 2013, 12:18

TRM

Devil's Advocate wrote:
TRM wrote:

So would I!

If we'd signed Mackey a couple of months earlier last season i'm convinced we'd have gone up as champions.

I can't see the point of having £150,000+ in the bank "ready for when we do go up",that could well be a day that never comes.

I don't advocate spending all of it by any means but if we don't try to break this cycle of decent cup runs but just falling short in the league then it will be disappointing and a wasted opportunity.
I agree with that to a huge extent.

My main point is that I want us to be signing players, from whatever club and whatever level, who want to be at SFC and who are hungry to prove themselves and achieve things.

Not players who are only here for an easy ride and a pay-day, however "quality" or "proven" they may be.

Players like Ryan, Ben and Nathan are good examples of that first type of player, and there are others too. I know the circumstances are COMPLETELY different but you only have to look at the squad Steve Daniels assembled thanks to "Larry's Millions" and where that landed us to know how wrong it can go with "the wrong type of players."

15Dan Preston Empty Re: Dan Preston Thu Nov 28 2013, 12:19

TRM

Devil's Advocate wrote:
TRM wrote:Racking my brains, but can't remember anybody fitting the description of Ronnie Corbett's lovechild. No doubt it's bleedin' obvious...
Mitchell the midget,made Adam Ward look like The Hulk and was absolutely hopeless.
Obviously senility is kicking in. I'm still completely in the dark. How many seasons ago are we talking?

16Dan Preston Empty Re: Dan Preston Thu Nov 28 2013, 12:39

Devil's Advocate

TRM wrote:
Devil's Advocate wrote:
Obviously senility is kicking in. I'm still completely in the dark. How many seasons ago are we talking?
About 18 moths to two years ago,he was a tiny winger….did absolutely nothing for us.

17Dan Preston Empty Re: Dan Preston Thu Nov 28 2013, 14:28

brockmoor

brockmoor

I believe his name was McDermott. A complete and utter waste of time.

18Dan Preston Empty Re: Dan Preston Thu Nov 28 2013, 14:35

TRM

That's him. Dave McDermott.

19Dan Preston Empty Re: Dan Preston Thu Nov 28 2013, 16:42

Devil's Advocate

brockmoor wrote:I believe his name was McDermott. A complete and utter waste of time.

Cheers Neil……you got him.

20Dan Preston Empty Re: Dan Preston Thu Nov 28 2013, 16:58

Jack

Jack
Admin

The trouble is, it's all good and proper wanting to get established players from the level above. But if they're established there why would they want to move down a level? I wouldn't.

https://glassboys.forumotion.com

21Dan Preston Empty Re: Dan Preston Thu Nov 28 2013, 17:51

Aled

Cos we is a massssive club Jack innit. Get wiv da program home boy. Brapp!

22Dan Preston Empty Re: Dan Preston Thu Nov 28 2013, 18:12

Jack

Jack
Admin

Not even chavs say home boy Aled.

23Dan Preston Empty Re: Dan Preston Thu Nov 28 2013, 19:00

Tricky Tree

Tricky Tree

So we don't sign the players required to take us to the next level.
We miss out on promotion "again".....are the players that we have at Stour that we class as quality gunna hang around for much longer...The likes of Ben,Sean(I wear gloves)Luke,Rowe(whatever happens with him)and of course the God that is Sam Rock are very likely to be snapped up. Then what?...Re-build?

I've got a feeling that at the end of this season things will go tits up and I don't know why but I think Gary will walk if we don't get promoted.
Just a feeling.

24Dan Preston Empty Re: Dan Preston Thu Nov 28 2013, 19:02

Aled

Don't diss me Jack innit

25Dan Preston Empty Re: Dan Preston Thu Nov 28 2013, 19:32

Jack

Jack
Admin

Suspect Ben will be off either way.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]