Stourbridge Football Club-Unofficial Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Stourbridge Football Club-Unofficial Forum

The latest views on the Glassboys

You are not connected. Please login or register

Matlock away.

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Matlock away. Empty Matlock away. Wed Apr 13 2016, 01:11

Devil's Advocate

One of my favourite away grounds,possibly the most scenic in non league football apart from perhaps Lye Town Laughing

It is a superb setting,such a pity the pitch is so bloody awful,you'd think they could use the skills and the roller from the cricket club groundsman seeing as the clubs are right next to each other,it has to be said the pitch is a disgrace.

After a dodgy first 20 minutes we then went on to dominate for the remainder of the match with only a cruel bobble allowing their guy through for the late,undeserved leveller.

A much improved performance compared to the Mickleover game,with Stuart back in defence we looked more solid but Dan Scarr was my man of the match due to a composed,dominant performance.

Chris Lait was a big loss tonight but it gave Gary the opportunity to pair our "naughty" twins in midfield and push the ever reliable Leon out onto the left and they all played their part in an industrious performance and it was good to see Sean and Tonksy shake hands as Tonks was subbed.

Justin put a hard shift in again and although Karl wasn't at his best he provided a sharp finish to Stuart's superb diving header to give us a deserved lead.

Mentions for Gould who was excellent yet again and Junior who worked his nuts off at the back.

All in all the last 70 minutes was a very accomplished,controlled performance and it deserved three points.

I have to say though,the ref was an absolute joke and made mistake after mistake whilst dishing out long lectures but not enough cards to their rustic challenges,their number 6 in particular was a pain in the arse as well as being short and fat,he had a face that i doubt even his own mother could love….i'd love to have had the chance to applaud him getting a red but alas the ref whimped out!

The bloke had a death wish,squaring up to Justin at half time smacked of a man not in possession of all of his marbles!

Well done lads,a really good effort tonight and it's now just a case of who we play in the play offs because if we beat Whitby i don't see us being caught.

2Matlock away. Empty Re: Matlock away. Wed Apr 13 2016, 10:35

Brian Handy

Man of the match voting was as follows:

DAN SCARR 7 votes

Justin Richards 6

Kristian Green 4

Matt Gould
Stuart Pierpoint } 2
Brian Smikle

Leon Broadhurst. 1

IAN PILKINGTON won the wine.

Thanks to everyone who took part.

3Matlock away. Empty Re: Matlock away. Wed Apr 13 2016, 12:49

sirsmileriiii

Devil's Advocate wrote:A much improved performance compared to the Mickleover game

Was not at last nights game so I cannot really comment on it.

But I would ask the obvious question of which is more important, an improved performance or 3 points from a win.  And surely the Mickleover game has to be the better one for that reason alone.

Until our play off place is guaranteed 100% I would be much happier if we got 3 points from each game, regardless of how bad we play.  And I'm sure some people will see this as 2 points dropped, instead of 1 point gained.  But at least Workington lost last night, which will have been a big help to us.

Win against Whitby on Saturday, and hope that Workington beat Ashton so we go above and 3 points clear of them in the table.  We can still get that third place, but I get the feeling it could go right down to our last game, which is at home to Salford.

4Matlock away. Empty Re: Matlock away. Wed Apr 13 2016, 15:11

Jack

Jack
Admin

I agree with Devil. It's going to take an almighty cock up to not get play offs now. Workington look a busted flush and are running out of time. If we win Saturday it is confirmed. 3 points from 3 games is not a hard target. We could and should be getting at least 6.

For that reason a better performance was crucial. We got that, we didn't get the 3 points however it's still 1 more chalked off the needed list.

It'll do for me, and I take what Devil says as pretty much bang on. He is critical at times, but also very fair. Well played boys, the character shown post Halesowen has been impeccable. Let's finish the season with a bang because we as a club are ready to go up now.

https://glassboys.forumotion.com

5Matlock away. Empty Re: Matlock away. Wed Apr 13 2016, 18:19

sirsmileriiii

I also agreed with devil, I was just asking which is more important at this point. the 3 points from a win or a positive performance, and I would choose the 3 points each time to guarantee that we make the play offs. Then we can concentrate on our performance as well, as it obviously will be just as important come the play off matches themselves.

As for Workington I think that they shot themselves in the foot by losing last night, and yes it will certainly be hard for them to reach the play offs now. But I still want them to win on Saturday against Ashton, so that we can hopefully go into 4th place 3 points clear.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum