Stourbridge Football Club-Unofficial Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Stourbridge Football Club-Unofficial Forum

The latest views on the Glassboys

You are not connected. Please login or register

Skelmersdale home

+2
zippy
redpike
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Skelmersdale home Empty Skelmersdale home Sat Jan 23 2016, 18:01

redpike

A well-deserved and necessary 3 points against a team that, although they carried a lot of threat, never really troubled Charlie who had only one real save of note to make.

Another good all-round team performance with Dan, Leon and the consistently classy Karl being impressive. In the second half, particularly when we were down to 10 men, Sean seemed to come alive and gave an inspired performance.

No complaints with Matt's dismissal but his absence will give others in our experienced squad a chance to stake a claim for a regular place.

That word experience seems to be a key part of Gary's player strategy this season - let's hope it pays dividends.

2Skelmersdale home Empty Re: Skelmersdale home Sat Jan 23 2016, 19:45

zippy

I would honestly say that was Karl's best performance for us. He held the ball up and seemed far more energised than before. Not too amazed today by Ashley Vincent, think Justin had a better game but fair play he needs time to gel with the team.
Also thought we played a lot more confidently when down to 10 men!
Skelmersdale seemed a good side which belied their current league table position. Their number 9 was quick off the mark and very good on the break, excellent lob for their goal.
Onwards and upwards towards play offs!

3Skelmersdale home Empty Re: Skelmersdale home Sat Jan 23 2016, 20:38

oldhillglassboy

An excellent win in the end, I did fear the worst after we went behind with recent games against the struggling teams, after controlling the match up until then and not putting away the chances we created. There couldn't have been many better finish's in non league today then Hawley's eqauliser, top drawer. Vital save from Price just before half time, that and the goal where the only chances they had really.

Disappointing to lose Dodd for 3 matches, a straight red was the right decision i'm afraid, although we still controlled the game after that, Thought Scarr's goal definitely crossed the line but didn't think the goalkeeper took the ball outside the box in handling it, testing afternoon for the officials. Some excellent performances all round again let's hope we can keep going given we only have two free midweeks until the start of April! Lait seemed none too happy at being substituted.

4Skelmersdale home Empty Re: Skelmersdale home Sat Jan 23 2016, 21:11

Grassboys

Couldn't make todays game ..... but have it on good authority that 3-1 sounded more comfortable than it really was.

Nevertheless, a good result, and with six out of top eight teams in the division all winning, a very necessary 3 points.

Such momentum around the club at present - has there ever been a better period in the last 10-20 years to be a Stour fan?

Strange year throughout the Non-league pyramid - league positions, or even 'the league you are in' seems to count for little. To illustrate, we can beat the best in the Conference and as easily lose to the bottom of the Northern Premier league. I don't particularly think thats us 'only performing on the big stage' - from what I've seen, EVERY club in our division works bloody hard - and that sounded like the case again today.

Enjoyed last week at Salford, and fully intending to go to Barwell next week.

Too soon for end of season predictions, but personally I'm happy with our postion right now. In 'Running' parlance, It's easier to chase than to be chased.

5Skelmersdale home Empty Re: Skelmersdale home Sat Jan 23 2016, 21:56

Old Codger

Started off as a case of "Deja vue" all over again. Created & missed good gilt edged chances then conceded a sucker punch when Skem's lively no. 9 took his chance really well. Thought our Defence looked a bit shakey at times in the first half, especially the normally reliable skipper & Dan. Second half was a better half for us. Karl is undoubtedly CLASS, Leon worked tirelessly , and I too thought Chris Lait not happy at being subbed, but then again he should be unhappy if he's subbed, thought in fairness he didn't get particularly decent service.
All in all another good 3 points when needed. Happy days !

6Skelmersdale home Empty Re: Skelmersdale home Sat Jan 23 2016, 22:00

Old Codger

P.S. No complaints over Dodds red card, pity though as we will miss him in FATrophy game & 2 league matches. Thought it a bit ironical......sub your left winger then right winger gets a red ! Ben looks to be getting noticeably sharper so perhaps not the end of the world. But we do need to be disciplined going into second half if the season.

7Skelmersdale home Empty Re: Skelmersdale home Sat Jan 23 2016, 23:34

Dave the Glassboy

Dave the Glassboy

Thought Doddy was a bit unlucky TBH as one of the Skelmersdale players had only received a yellow for a similar offence just minutes earlier.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum