Stourbridge Football Club-Unofficial Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Stourbridge Football Club-Unofficial Forum

The latest views on the Glassboys

You are not connected. Please login or register

Tonsky to Telford

+4
Jane.N
oldhillglassboy
baz
Jack
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Tonsky to Telford  Empty Tonsky to Telford Thu Dec 17 2015, 14:00

Jack

Jack
Admin

Moved to Telford. Not sure what to make of this really. One part of me is wishing him the best at a higher level, the other part of me thinks he should have stuck around and got to that higher level! Very disappointed to see him leave as he has been frankly, our best player in my opinion. Hawley will get the plaudits but you can't underestimate what an influence Tom has had on the team. His celebration at full time against Halesowen won't be forgotten quickly. Hopefully see him back here at some point. And hopefully Kristian stays put!

https://glassboys.forumotion.com

2Tonsky to Telford  Empty Re: Tonsky to Telford Thu Dec 17 2015, 14:16

Devil's Advocate

What an absolute kick in the nuts.

I don't blame Tonks one bit,he is one of a few Stour players who deserved to have been offered a contract during the last few weeks after such heroic exploits,i expect there's a high level of probability that we could lose Lait and a couple of other star performers in the next few weeks.

I've been banging on now for two months about Gary adding to the squad,especially with the bench looking so thin at times but still nothing happens.I just cannot see the point of the cup runs if the money being earned is then not used to at the very least reward the lads who have had the success and incentivise them to stay together for the season especially if it looks as if a play off place is attainable.

Nobody will convince me that Tonks was desperate to go and play for Telford,especially in their present position,money talks……obviously our money could barely whisper let alone talk!

How long before other decent players like Lait are tempted away.

I fear for the rest of the season now,i think this sends out a really bad message and it questions our ambition as a club.

Best of luck to Tonksy though,he's done a great job for us.

3Tonsky to Telford  Empty Re: Tonsky to Telford Thu Dec 17 2015, 17:33

baz

Just hope we can replace him asap,guess the club are talking to players but we need to strengthen to squad as quickly as possible to at least get in the play offs.

4Tonsky to Telford  Empty Re: Tonsky to Telford Thu Dec 17 2015, 20:03

oldhillglassboy

A surprise, he has been outstanding this season and I wish him all the best, can't deny i'm disappointed though going to a club seemingly heading in the opposite direction.

5Tonsky to Telford  Empty Re: Tonsky to Telford Fri Dec 18 2015, 07:38

Jane.N

I just echo everyone else's disappointment at him going. He has been superb for us and will be a great loss.

Seen a lot of posts on Twitter about him "deserving' the step up. He does deserve to be playing at a higher level but not sure this is really that big a move, step up or anything that special. Question
I can't help think surely he would have more satisfaction in playing in the higher level having been a huge part in getting the team he is playing for there.

Like others have said, I hope this doesn't have a domino effect and mean more leave. After such a good first half of the season it would be such a shame. Crying or Very sad

6Tonsky to Telford  Empty Tonsky to Telford Fri Dec 18 2015, 13:04

redpike

One of the many things I like about SFC is how fair-minded and understanding supporters are. With Tonks having been with us for less than 5 months and with him being held in such high esteem that he was captain last week, it goes to show that there is no such thing as loyalty. But, yet again, fellow contributors on here and on Twitter are being very tolerant and generous with their comments.

Sometimes, I think SFC is too ''nice'' and I wonder yet again how hard we tried to keep Tonks. When Gary says ''It's nothing to do with money'', I find that hard to accept. Let's be honest, everything's to do with money nowadays. To me, with him choosing to move on so soon places a question mark against our real ambitions.

Wanting to play for a team only just a few places higher than us in the pyramid and not in the best of financial health doesn't fit in with wanting to play ''.........as high as I can.'' Dammit, we've more than held our own on 4 occasions recently against National teams whereas Telford haven't.

Having said all that, I hope it works out for Tom.

7Tonsky to Telford  Empty Re: Tonsky to Telford Sun Dec 20 2015, 23:39

lyelad

Agree with mostly everything that redpike as said. Although on loyalty we have had and still do have players who are loyal to stour and there are some players who are just in it for what they can get. Some players leave stour thinking that the grass is greener and then find out that it is not always the way. I have followed stour for many years and have seen players come and go in the current team I think there are about five or six players who remain loyal and I wouldn't be surprised to see a few more on their way. I was one who said that McCone wouldn't stop long and I have said it about a few more currently playing in the team at the moment. I don't think there is any solution to this unless the wages goes up and in the long term would this be good for the club . Me myself I would rather have eleven loyal players pulling all together than players who come for what they can take. I know we need quality in the side but how much are we prepared to pay for it

8Tonsky to Telford  Empty Re: Tonsky to Telford Mon Dec 21 2015, 01:08

Devil's Advocate

lyelad wrote:Agree with mostly everything that redpike as said. Although on loyalty we have had and still do have players who are loyal to stour and there are some players who are just in it for what they can get. Some players leave stour thinking that the grass is greener and then find out that it is not always the way. I have followed stour for many years and have seen players come and go in the current team I think there are about five or six players who remain loyal and I wouldn't be surprised  to see a few more on their  way. I was one who said that McCone wouldn't stop long and I have said it about a few more currently playing in the team at the moment. I don't think there is any solution to this unless the wages goes up and in the long term would this be good for the club . Me myself I would rather have eleven loyal players pulling all together than players who come for what they can take. I know we need quality in the side but how much are we prepared to pay for  it

All very good points Lyelad.

As i said earlier,i was sorry to see Tonksy go but i wouldn't be surprised to see him return one day,not everyone who returns is in the McCone category,some like Leon come back and do as good a job as they always did,same for Lewis Solly as well……good characters who leave( like Tonks ) in amicable circumstances and thus are always warmly welcomed back to the club by fans and management alike,i certainly think Tom falls into that category.

They say you should never go back,personally i don't hold with that theory.

Hark…can you hear that spooky music playing in the background Wink

9Tonsky to Telford  Empty Re: Tonsky to Telford Sun Dec 27 2015, 22:49

Tricky Tree

Tricky Tree

Telford smells of horse poo and wee.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum