Stourbridge Football Club-Unofficial Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Stourbridge Football Club-Unofficial Forum

The latest views on the Glassboys

You are not connected. Please login or register

Dover away in the cup.

+13
lyelad
stour_boy
BonViveur
Jack
Dave the Glassboy
baz
dave w
Jane.N
sirsmileriiii
Nath
Old Codger
oldhillglassboy
Devil's Advocate
17 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

26Dover away in the cup. - Page 2 Empty Re: Dover away in the cup. Thu Oct 29 2015, 00:29

Devil's Advocate

Jane.N wrote:This season membership is included in with season ticket, but from next year it won't be and will have to be  purchased separately.

I don't think per person the prices are that bad, it's a long way to Dover, the difficulty comes when there is a family going - that then adds up. It's a difficult one really.

I don't think it it that difficult Jane to be honest with you,i just think a lack of thought and nous goes into the decision making at Stourbridge at times.

Dave is quite right,the club will get a slice of the entrance fee from everyone that attends,i'm not sure of the exact split but if the entry fee averages out at £10 per spectator i'd guess we see £3 to £4 out of each entry paid so it's worth encouraging more to travel.

I feel there's a total lack of appreciation of the core away support,people like Eric and Brian and many i can't name such as Baz's dad who are there week in and week out at even the most distant midweek away games,for pity's sake….the club should be paying them for turning up!

The club knows who these people are,they should be treated to a free seat every so often and especially on days like this one,it makes me sad that occasional gestures are not made to our hard core,especially the older one's.

I'm all for running a decent commercial operation but sometimes there's a bigger picture,a tenner per person and a bit of a "hit" taken on the day might have seen 300+ travel,i'd suggest we'll be lucky to take 150 now.

Not great PR in my opinion,an opportunity missed to say a big "thank you" to at least our hardy perennials.

27Dover away in the cup. - Page 2 Empty Re: Dover away in the cup. Thu Oct 29 2015, 00:35

dave w

I could be wrong but I think the gate is split after expenses so each club gets 40% and the FA 20.

28Dover away in the cup. - Page 2 Empty Re: Dover away in the cup. Thu Oct 29 2015, 08:11

sirsmileriiii

Jack wrote:I am wrong, turns out adult STH have membership. So it's erm, 20 quid not 25...

But I think that only applies to full season tickets only not the flexi one, which is what I've got so I'm sure it's still going to cost me £25.

And yes I do think that the club are shooting themselves in the foot because I can't see anyone wanting to pay those sort of prices to travel to a game that isn't a glamour tie, regardless of the competition.

Old Wharf Road is going to be a very quiet & lonely place on that Sat morning in my opinion.

Having said that the cheapest train fair I've found so far is £55 pounds, so that idea is also out the window as well scratch

29Dover away in the cup. - Page 2 Empty Re: Dover away in the cup. Thu Oct 29 2015, 17:29

Jack

Jack
Admin

See the thing that frustrates me about this is that this isn't the first time we've had this conversation, is it?

https://glassboys.forumotion.com

30Dover away in the cup. - Page 2 Empty Re: Dover away in the cup. Thu Oct 29 2015, 17:34

Jane.N

£25 / £20 return travel to Dover I think is a fair price.
Maybe additional subsidies for the absolute regular coach travellers as a good will gesture.

It would cost more in petrol if you drove on your own - although I do understand that a car full would be cheaper than 25 per person but certainly public transport would be much more expensive - as sir smiled pointed out.

I would be more inclined to subsidies long distance league match coach travel than a one off cup game.

31Dover away in the cup. - Page 2 Empty Re: Dover away in the cup. Thu Oct 29 2015, 20:16

oldhillglassboy

Having done the journey a few times, the price seems to be fair to me, although I appreciate everybody's finances are different. I will very likely be going by train due to past experience rather than the cost, if anybody is considering that option Marylebone is a better way than Euston. To Dover Priory, the HS1 javelin train from St Pancras is half the time of the routes from Charing Cross and Victoria but a bit dearer, the Victoria train stops at the station nearer the ground, but only every hour.

I haven't seen anything about tickets for the actual match yet, I thought they where better supported then appears the case, the average this year is 822 with a near 6000 capacity, I can't see that many more turning out for Stourbridge, so may well be pay on the gate, it would be disappointing if only 150 went from this end.

On the match I think we can cause them problems but it's going to be a very stiff ask to turn them over or get a draw (i'd snap your hand off for a replay right now).

32Dover away in the cup. - Page 2 Empty Re: Dover away in the cup. Thu Oct 29 2015, 23:03

sirsmileriiii

Got the following information off the Dover FC website - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The club are now able to confirm that our Emirates FA Cup First Round match against Stourbridge will take place on Saturday 7th November with a 3pm kick-off.

This information follows the recent announcement of matches which have been selected for television coverage.

The fixture is NOT all-ticket, and prior purchase of tickets will not be required, and indeed is not possible. Standard ticket prices apply for both home and away supporters - adults are £15, over 60's will be £12, under 18's are £6 and - as always - under 11's go FREE when accompanied by an adult.

As this is a Cup fixture at Crabble, all must pay - season tickets are not able to be used.

Hope this information is useful to everyone who's thinking of going, including myself.

33Dover away in the cup. - Page 2 Empty Re: Dover away in the cup. Fri Oct 30 2015, 10:32

BonViveur

Will the club coaches be 'dry' for this one?

34Dover away in the cup. - Page 2 Empty Re: Dover away in the cup. Fri Oct 30 2015, 15:12

sirsmileriiii

BonViveur wrote:Will the club coaches be 'dry' for this one?

From memory I think they usually are for FA Cup games, yes!

35Dover away in the cup. - Page 2 Empty Re: Dover away in the cup. Fri Oct 30 2015, 15:24

Devil's Advocate

sirsmileriiii wrote:
BonViveur wrote:Will the club coaches be 'dry' for this one?

From memory I think they usually are for FA Cup games, yes!

That'll be a relief for many.

I heard a conversation between two very respected members of the Stour support who were saying last week that taking a wife or children on the coach was really not possible due to the amount of drinking being done by both players,officials and fans,especially on the return trip from games.

I have some sympathy with the official club party,it is their weekend/leisure time that the games take place in but it's probably time the club re looked at the way away fan's are catered for,it doesn't seem right that people feel unable to attend with a female or young one's due to the raucous nature of the return trip.

IF fan's are going to be catered for on the team bus then in my opinion it should be a drink free zone for all matches,it's either that or a separate coach if we're striving for standards and more professionalism at the club.

36Dover away in the cup. - Page 2 Empty Re: Dover away in the cup. Fri Oct 30 2015, 16:40

sirsmileriiii

Devil's Advocate wrote:IF fan's are going to be catered for on the team bus then in my opinion it should be a drink free zone for all matches,it's either that or a separate coach if we're striving for standards and more professionalism at the club.

If by team bus you mean the players coach, then you have to remember that they also drink on the way back.

Plus once they get there people will still drink & get drunk if they want to, so the journey back would just be the same even if the coach journey itself was drink free.

37Dover away in the cup. - Page 2 Empty Re: Dover away in the cup. Fri Oct 30 2015, 16:48

stour_boy

stour_boy

sirsmileriiii wrote:
Devil's Advocate wrote:IF fan's are going to be catered for on the team bus then in my opinion it should be a drink free zone for all matches,it's either that or a separate coach if we're striving for standards and more professionalism at the club.

If by team bus you mean the players coach, then you have to remember that they also drink on the way back.

Plus once they get there people will still drink & get drunk if they want to, so the journey back would just be the same even if the coach journey itself was drink free.

Agreed - a few cans on the coach always makes the journey go a bit easier - memories of Hitchin away here, when an excellent booze up was had both on the coach and in the boozers in the town and the ground.

Not sure banning booze on the actual coach would have made much difference though - plenty of ale was supped in the town pre-match anyway, so the trip back was always likely to be loud and lewd.

I'd rather bringing the wife and kids to the match was banned Laughing

38Dover away in the cup. - Page 2 Empty Re: Dover away in the cup. Fri Oct 30 2015, 16:53

stour_boy

stour_boy

The match is to be segregated - no mention of where the Stour fans will be put.

39Dover away in the cup. - Page 2 Empty Re: Dover away in the cup. Fri Oct 30 2015, 17:37

sirsmileriiii

stour_boy wrote:The match is to be segregated - no mention of where the Stour fans will be put.

In the "away end" lol!

40Dover away in the cup. - Page 2 Empty Re: Dover away in the cup. Fri Oct 30 2015, 18:09

sirsmileriiii

Maybe this link will help!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

41Dover away in the cup. - Page 2 Empty Re: Dover away in the cup. Fri Oct 30 2015, 18:13

Devil's Advocate

stour_boy wrote:
sirsmileriiii wrote:

Agreed - a few cans on the coach always makes the journey go a bit easier - memories of Hitchin away here, when an excellent booze up was had both on the coach and in the boozers in the town and the ground.

Not sure banning booze on the actual coach would have made much difference though - plenty of ale was supped in the town pre-match anyway, so the trip back was always likely to be loud and lewd.

I'd rather bringing the wife and kids to the match was banned Laughing
Laughing

It's an easy comment to make until you actually have a +1.

42Dover away in the cup. - Page 2 Empty Re: Dover away in the cup. Fri Oct 30 2015, 20:28

stour_boy

stour_boy

I do Smile

43Dover away in the cup. - Page 2 Empty Re: Dover away in the cup. Fri Oct 30 2015, 21:13

dave w

They're charging normal league prices for a cup game against a side two levels below them and segregating what will in all probability be no more than a hunderd or so of us. Nice club.

44Dover away in the cup. - Page 2 Empty Re: Dover away in the cup. Fri Oct 30 2015, 22:25

Old Codger

Can't help but get the feeling that this cup tie has the makings of one big anti climax !
The "vibe" on this thread is not good...coach prices...travel time...to drink or not to drink on the coach...etc etc etc
Regarding coach travel I must agree that on the face of it £25 is a big hike on the normal £10, but then again every coach will need two drivers because one drivers hours will not get a bus there and back in one trip.
I have to admit that travel time / costs mean that I won't be going, much as I would love to follow the boys and as has been said by others...I too would snap their arm off for a replay next Tuesday .
I really hope the day goes well for Stour. I have the upmost respect for those who will be going......Real Fans !......and maybe..just maybe the club should, and still may recognise this.

45Dover away in the cup. - Page 2 Empty Re: Dover away in the cup. Fri Oct 30 2015, 23:49

Jane.N

There will be plenty of real fans not going too!!

Some real fans work on Saturdays!!

46Dover away in the cup. - Page 2 Empty Re: Dover away in the cup. Fri Oct 30 2015, 23:58

sirsmileriiii

I have decided to go, but will have to sacrifice the BSC match on Mon night to do it.  But that doesn't really bother me as I don't think it's as important a game as the FA Cup in my opinion, and we're only playing a bunch of Dingles anyway!

Plus I'm sure there are real fans that would love to go, but can't because either they are at work like Jane is or they simply cannot afford it.  Especially with all the other cup matches we've got taking place round the same time.

I just hope there is an outcome either way tomorrow, otherwise the replay in that game really will give me a headache scratch

As to the admission prices at Dover, I doubt if their fans are very happy about paying normal league prices for a game against a lower division team.  Even though it is the FA Cup.

47Dover away in the cup. - Page 2 Empty Re: Dover away in the cup. Sat Oct 31 2015, 08:40

Old Codger

Jane.N wrote:There will be plenty of real fans not going too!!

Some real fans work on Saturdays!!

Very fair point, no offence intended.

48Dover away in the cup. - Page 2 Empty Re: Dover away in the cup. Sat Oct 31 2015, 13:04

oldhillglassboy

I understand the coach pricing for the distance involved but if it get's more fans there I would be dropping them, we will need all the support we can get. Perhaps segregation is the way forward as well - drinking and non drinking!

Speaking personally, the coach is a case of never again after Stevenage and Hitchin.

49Dover away in the cup. - Page 2 Empty Re: Dover away in the cup. Sun Nov 01 2015, 10:09

sirsmileriiii

I heard someone yesterday mention that 25 coach tickets were sold in the morning, so hopefully more people will book at Mon nights game.

50Dover away in the cup. - Page 2 Empty Re: Dover away in the cup. Tue Nov 03 2015, 14:19

stour_boy

stour_boy

Coach is now full.

No segregation, too.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum