Stourbridge Football Club-Unofficial Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Stourbridge Football Club-Unofficial Forum

The latest views on the Glassboys

You are not connected. Please login or register

JDRF London Nightrider

+4
Brian Handy
Jack
Devil's Advocate
Aled
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1JDRF London Nightrider Empty JDRF London Nightrider Mon Jan 26 2015, 16:01

Aled

Dear All,

As many of you will know, my son has Type 1 diabetes. This condition is not caused by poor lifestyle and eating habits, it's an autoimmune condition that can strike at any time, but is particularly prevalent in young children.

There is currently no cure, my son faces a lifetime of blood tests and injections, cannula insertions and hospital visits. The complications that can arise from this condition are too heart-breaking to dwell on. Since diagnosis, almost two years ago, my son has endured around 4500 finger stick tests, 1850 injections, 150 cannula insertions, 16 hospital clinics, 3 hospital stays of more than 1 week, and several periods on a drip.

My wife and I have not had a full night’s sleep in over two years due to routine testing as he sleeps. Many people are unaware that diabetes can kill. If his blood sugar drops too quickly and isn't picked up, he could fall into a coma and die. If his blood sugar is too high, he can within hours fall into diabetic ketoacidosis which can also lead to death.

Emotionally and psychologically, it's draining for all of us. It is of course, particularly hard on my son, having gone from a normal 5 year old little boy, to having to live with this condition.

In spite of the obvious negatives, my son is a constant inspiration to us. He has his bad days of course, and it's heart-breaking to see him go through this every day, and when he asks us 'Why do I have diabetes?', 'Will I always have diabetes?', 'Will I die of diabetes?'

But in spite of everything he endures, he's always got a smile on his face, and humbles me to my very core with his courage and tenacity.

JDRF are the only diabetes charity dedicated to finding a cure. They have already funded many advances in the treatment of this condition, from smart insulin to the artificial pancreas, not to mention the exciting developments in the quest to discover what triggers Type 1 diabetes, and what can be done to stop it, and eventually cure it.

On the evening of the 6th of June I’m taking part in the London Nightrider event, which is a 63 mile circular bike ride overnight to raise funds for JDRF.

If you can spare a few quid, I would be most grateful.

http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/PaulSmart1

Thanks,

Paul

2JDRF London Nightrider Empty Re: JDRF London Nightrider Mon Jan 26 2015, 16:20

Devil's Advocate

Hi Paul,

Sorry to hear of your little fella's struggles,i had a diabetes scare 30 years ago in my early 20's but mine was a kidney problem that i've managed with no fuss for three decades,i feel really sorry for your son but looking at the picture of him on the "Just Giving" page makes me think he's somewhat of a character ( can't think where he got that from Laughing ) and i'm sure he'll come fighting through.

Good luck with that 63 mile bike ride,i think you might need it but never worry,Dave the Dog will rub some cream on your backside when you finish Shocked

Let me know if you do further events and i'll always be glad to help.

All the best to you and your family,

DA ( Mick )

3JDRF London Nightrider Empty Re: JDRF London Nightrider Mon Jan 26 2015, 16:44

Jack

Jack
Admin

Hope you don't mind Paul but I've moved this from off topic to the main forum and I've also stickied it.

This deserves more viewing and recognition than any Stourbridge game.

https://glassboys.forumotion.com

4JDRF London Nightrider Empty Re: JDRF London Nightrider Mon Jan 26 2015, 17:05

Brian Handy

Good luck with the fundraising,your little lad is an inspiration to us all and puts our own small worries and troubles into perspective. God Bless you all

5JDRF London Nightrider Empty Re: JDRF London Nightrider Mon Jan 26 2015, 17:19

baz

Have donated,good luck and let us know how the training goin.

6JDRF London Nightrider Empty Re: JDRF London Nightrider Mon Jan 26 2015, 17:35

Tricky Tree

Tricky Tree

Bloody horrible.
Life can be so cruel.

7JDRF London Nightrider Empty Re: JDRF London Nightrider Mon Jan 26 2015, 23:52

Aled

Thank you so much to those who have already kindly sponsored me, and also for your kind words. I've had a fantastic start to my sponsorship drive, and am already more than halfway to the minimum required for my sponsored place with JDRF.

I am genuinely humbled people, on behalf of my lad. Thank You : )

8JDRF London Nightrider Empty Re: JDRF London Nightrider Tue Jan 27 2015, 08:26

TRM

Aled - sent you a PM, mate.

9JDRF London Nightrider Empty Re: JDRF London Nightrider Tue Jan 27 2015, 08:31

DY9 Stour

Just donated pal..your going to smash your target to pieces Very Happy

10JDRF London Nightrider Empty Re: JDRF London Nightrider Tue Jan 27 2015, 21:03

Aled

Thanks mate, much appreciated, and that after I called you a villa b@&stard the other day! I feel bad now : )

11JDRF London Nightrider Empty Re: JDRF London Nightrider Mon Mar 30 2015, 08:47

Aled

Huge thank you to the club for their offer of support this Saturday. They don't need to do it, and it shows what a wonderful club we have.

I've already received more sponsorship through the article on the website, including from people I don't know. If you're on here....thank you so much.

See you Saturday folks.

12JDRF London Nightrider Empty Re: JDRF London Nightrider Sat Apr 04 2015, 20:55

Aled

Thank you so much to everyone who supported us today. The bucket collection raised a fantastic £235.09 which, added to the £75 raised online since the club publicised it means you wonderful lot have added over £300 to the total of £1065 and rising. This is over 3 times my original target.

Particular thanks to TRM for all he's done in promoting the fundraising, and to all at SFC in making this a very special day for my lad.

13JDRF London Nightrider Empty Re: JDRF London Nightrider Mon Jun 01 2015, 19:16

Aled

Hi folks. Just a quick update. This weekend is the Nightrider event. I've been busy covering around 125 miles a week these past 7 weeks.

Huge thanks to everyone who has supported me, from SFC, TRM, friends and new friends.

The total raised is now a staggering £1390, more than 4 times my original target and still rising.

Thanks everyone!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum