Stourbridge Football Club-Unofficial Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Stourbridge Football Club-Unofficial Forum

The latest views on the Glassboys

You are not connected. Please login or register

Sean Geddes

+9
Baggiestour
Dave the Glassboy
Tricky Tree
Jane.N
dodi
Devil's Advocate
glassboypaul
Jack
redpike
13 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1Sean Geddes Empty Sean Geddes Sat Oct 25 2014, 17:51

redpike

Does he want to come back to Stourbridge Football Club ?

2Sean Geddes Empty Re: Sean Geddes Sat Oct 25 2014, 18:02

Jack

Jack
Admin

Don't know

https://glassboys.forumotion.com

3Sean Geddes Empty Re: Sean Geddes Sat Oct 25 2014, 18:04

glassboypaul

redpike wrote:Does he want to come back to Stourbridge Football Club ?

Bit of a cryptic message?! Anything in particular that's made you say that?

4Sean Geddes Empty Sean Geddes Sat Oct 25 2014, 19:14

redpike

Not wishing to be vague or to be going over old, well-trodden ground but my comment is based on, admittedly, a very short conversation with Sean at today's game. It might be said he was only being light-hearted but somehow I don't think so.

Although we shall never know the real, behind-the-scenes, reasons for Sean's departure, I still think the club acted too hastily in 'agreeing' to Sean's alleged transfer request.

I for one would welcome Sean's return, bearing in mind Ben's lengthy absence.

5Sean Geddes Empty Re: Sean Geddes Sat Oct 25 2014, 19:29

Devil's Advocate

Just spoke to Sean's father in law and he killed the rumour stone dead Redpike,sadly,it ain't happening.

6Sean Geddes Empty Sean Geddes Sat Oct 25 2014, 20:02

redpike

It seems I've proved the wisdom then of the saying ''There's no fool like an old fool'' !

Sorry if I raised the hopes of anyone !

7Sean Geddes Empty Re: Sean Geddes Sat Oct 25 2014, 20:46

dodi

It was an agreement on both parties it was time for Sean to move on, there is no sour grapes between him and the club hope this solves any rumours Smile

8Sean Geddes Empty Re: Sean Geddes Sun Nov 09 2014, 16:01

Devil's Advocate

Well pleased for Sean today,fantastic for him personally on his way back to league football.

9Sean Geddes Empty Re: Sean Geddes Sun Nov 09 2014, 16:30

Jane.N

It was great for him - well done Sean. Will always think of him as 'ours' though!!

10Sean Geddes Empty Re: Sean Geddes Sun Nov 09 2014, 16:32

Tricky Tree

Tricky Tree

Well done today Sean....Absolutely bossed it.
I can see why Stour cashed in and loads of money for him..
Idiots.

11Sean Geddes Empty Re: Sean Geddes Sun Nov 09 2014, 17:49

Devil's Advocate

Tricky Tree wrote:Well done today Sean....Absolutely bossed it.
I can see why Stour cashed in and loads of money for him..
Idiots.

So you don't think the £1000 transfer fee was enough then Tricky?

Actually.i believe we've only got £500,the rest is due at the end of the season.

I think Worcester might be able to afford to pay it now Mad Laughing

12Sean Geddes Empty Re: Sean Geddes Sun Nov 09 2014, 19:02

Tricky Tree

Tricky Tree

A very good friend of mine witnessed Sean playing today for the first time and said he was the best player on the pitch and could easily make it as a league player.

Obviously our illustrious management and board can't see the same thing.

As I say.....Idiots.... Intact may I dare say...bloody idiots.

13Sean Geddes Empty Re: Sean Geddes Sun Nov 09 2014, 19:14

Devil's Advocate

Tricky Tree wrote:A very good friend of mine witnessed Sean playing today for the first time and said he was the best player on the pitch and could easily make it as a league player.

Obviously our illustrious management and board can't see the same thing.

As I say.....Idiots.... Intact may I dare say...bloody idiots.

The fact is Tricky that Sean was too good for us,he was playing way below his standard,he deserved and found better,the most ridiculous thing about the whole thing was us selling a contracted player like him for such a joke fee.

Good luck to him,i'm enjoying seeing the lad progress.

14Sean Geddes Empty Re: Sean Geddes Sun Nov 09 2014, 19:30

Jane.N

I think the fact that Sean is playing at a higher level makes him leaving acceptable - if it was a sideways move then I would blame the management. We cant blame Sean for taking the opportunity to play higher or indeed the management for not holding him back.

Whether the way he left is how we would have liked it or indeed the fee - and I don't know the facts on either - is perhaps the only issue.

15Sean Geddes Empty Re: Sean Geddes Sun Nov 09 2014, 19:53

Tricky Tree

Tricky Tree

Not for one minute do I dispute that he should be playing at a higher level.
I just believe it's moronic the way he left us and for the fee we sold him.
Without doubt it certainly leaves egg on the faces of those who let him go in this manner.
Not just one egg but a whole battery farm of eggs.

Hang your heads

16Sean Geddes Empty Re: Sean Geddes Sun Nov 09 2014, 20:55

Tricky Tree

Tricky Tree

Jane.N wrote:I think the fact that Sean is playing at a higher level makes him leaving acceptable - if it was a sideways move then I would blame the management. We cant blame Sean for taking the opportunity to play higher or indeed the management for not holding him back.

Whether the way he left is how we would have liked it or indeed the fee - and I don't know the facts on either - is perhaps the only issue.

Sean didn't leave because he wanted to,so it's nothing to do with the "management holding him back"
He left because the management forced the issue by using him as a scapegoat.

17Sean Geddes Empty Re: Sean Geddes Mon Nov 10 2014, 08:47

glassboypaul

I do agree with much of the above, but I do think it's time for us all to move on and not analyse his every corner, assist, goal and free kick at Worcester and wonder what might have been.

The fact is that although I don't think his performances in 2014 had been nearly as good as previously, he could still make it at a higher level and he would have been daft to have turned down the opportunity. Clearly he thrived there.

Although his attitude was really poor at the time he left - refusing to go on the bench etc - the situation could have been dealt with so much better by the club.

It has the appearance that the club got fed up of him and shipped him out for next to nothing ASAP.

It would be interesting to know if we have a sell-on clause? I don't know what the going rate is for Step 3 strikers these days so I don't know if £1000 is a lot or not, but certainly we've missed a very big trick if we don't get a cut of any fee Worcester later obtain for him, should that day come.

Worth mentioning the other side of the story though - I spoke to a club official last week who expressed frustration that people 'have a pop' on here and don't say anything to the club. He said it's rare people go to the 150 club and chat to the management team and the committee despite being well advertised.

Maybe if people feel strongly about this they should go and speak to the management about it.

It seems to be like there's been more posts about complaining about fixture dates, signings and players leaving, than about the actual matches.

Is that because we are performing well and nobody has anything to moan about?

18Sean Geddes Empty Re: Sean Geddes Mon Nov 10 2014, 09:19

Tricky Tree

Tricky Tree

If I lived locally I'd attend such meetings but I'm not treking from Worcester to vent my frustration.
So sorry for annoying any officials.

19Sean Geddes Empty Re: Sean Geddes Mon Nov 10 2014, 10:05

Jack

Jack
Admin

While I agree it is time to put this to bed, I'm going to have my say anyway!

I've spoken directly to Sean and a very important figure at the club. Both of them told me roughly the same story, however as you would expect there where a few issues. Now one of the issues from the clubs side was that there had been a few rumblings going on before the start of this season. I 100% believe this. The reason being at Hitchin on the last day Sean was took off after an hour. Then at the end of the game, while the rest of the players where celebrating on the centre circle Sean and Gary were having a fairly animated conversation. At the time I pointed out to my mom that something was up-this was later confirmed to me on a coach this season. So I don't for one minute believe Sean is whiter than white.

Do I think he wanted to leave? Probably not, no. But this completley forced out against his will also doesn't sit comfortably with me.

Gary, Mark & Fordy have been in the game a very long time. Not to mention that Andy is a football fan. Do anyone of you honestly believe they would be that naive, petty and incompetent to let one of our best players leave on the back of 1 bad game and a row? I certainly don't.

So I think it's somewhere in the middle. It all comes down to agendas. Those who have an agenda with the management and the club will defend Sean to the death. Those who have an agenda to defend the club will defend the club. In my opinion, I think its a bit of both. At Stour we regularly see players hit 400 odd appearances, this isn't the norm at our level. I suspect, after 2 cup runs and 2 play off pushes Sean wanted a new challenge, the relationship was growing stale, and the event of Pre Season on the bench, the Workington game and then all that came with it were the final straw, on both sides I may add.

Also, a more pragmatic suggestion would be,this isnt the premier league I'm fairly certain Sean isnt held by some contractual rights, if he wanted to have a massive pop at the club he could have, and he hasn't. He is playing at a level above, for a very good side and is a national star in the sporting papers this morning. We should all be very proud of that and should remember the good times and leave it at that.

Having said all of that, I will no doubt be 'wrong'. This is my opinion based on as many facts as anyone else has. Wink

20Sean Geddes Empty Re: Sean Geddes Mon Nov 10 2014, 10:38

Tricky Tree

Tricky Tree

I agree with a lot of what you say Nory and I'm not overly fussed by the reasons he left the club.
I just believe it's been handled badly and I think it's scandalous the amount we got for him.

21Sean Geddes Empty Re: Sean Geddes Mon Nov 10 2014, 10:42

Jack

Jack
Admin

It probably should have been handled better, and we definitely should have got more.

22Sean Geddes Empty Sean Geddes Mon Nov 10 2014, 13:11

redpike

Whilst we shall never know the full story behind Sean's leaving, if OUR club (ie belonging to us members)received only £1k then an opportunity was missed to make some fairly serious money. Questions that I shall raise with our Directors at the appropriate time are how did we arrive at the amount of £1k and did we take advice.

I, like most of us, support our club financially in whatever way we can afford and this apparent 'giveaway' sticks in the craw.

My opinion hasn't changed in that I think the club acted too hastily and should have let the dust settle. We all know that, at times, Sean could be petulant but surely this is what good man management is all about ie treating each player as an individual.

Whilst normally being pro-management and accepting that hindsight is a wonderful thing, I do feel that the best interests of our club have not been served.

23Sean Geddes Empty Re: Sean Geddes Mon Nov 10 2014, 17:01

Dave the Glassboy

Dave the Glassboy

glassboypaul wrote:
Worth mentioning the other side of the story though - I spoke to a club official last week who expressed frustration that people 'have a pop' on here and don't say anything to the club. He said it's rare people go to the 150 club and chat to the management team and the committee despite being well advertised.

The trouble is it gives the impression of being in such a haphazard manner that people don't come along - especially for those living outside the town. "Pop along, ask a question and leave" seems to be the case at the moment, at least that's how I see it.

If they were hold some sort of organised and more formalised "forum night" with a set time (7pm - 9pm for example) and a sort of panel format then maybe they'd get a bit more interest.

24Sean Geddes Empty Re: Sean Geddes Mon Nov 10 2014, 17:17

Baggiestour

Great discussion folks, and I agree that the club should have got more.but let me tell you that if sean had accepted the 2k offered to leave a week before he did part company then that would have been even more egg on some faces!!!!!

25Sean Geddes Empty Re: Sean Geddes Mon Nov 10 2014, 20:23

sirsmileriiii

I do wonder which is the real problem about Sean on this forum. Is it the way he left, or is it simply the fact that he's now scoring goals for another team that people don't like.

He wanted to better himself and play at a higher level, and now he's been given that chance. Maybe he realised that the club wouldn't get promotion as easily when we moved into the Northern Prem, and what amount were people expecting the club to get for him if they think 1k is not enough scratch

Instead of complaining about his departure, surely we should just be congratulating him instead.

After all, if we get drawn against Worcester in a cup I bet nobody would shout out "Stour Reject" when his name is mentioned in the team line-up.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum