Stourbridge Football Club-Unofficial Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Stourbridge Football Club-Unofficial Forum

The latest views on the Glassboys

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Run-In

+5
Dave the Glassboy
Jane.N
Devil's Advocate
brockmoor
TRM
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1The Run-In Empty The Run-In Sat Mar 01 2014, 22:11

TRM

Fixtures between the top 7 (I'll include Bideford for the sake of it)...

5/3 Poole v Hemel

8/3 Stourbridge v St Albans

11/3 Hemel v Cambridge

15/3 Cambridge v Chesham

19/3 Cambridge v Bideford

22/3 Hemel v Poole, Stourbridge v Cambridge

25/3 Hemel v Stourbridge

5/4 Hemel v St Albans

8/4 Poole v Chesham

12/4 Bideford v Chesham, St Albans v Poole

19/4 Chesham v Stourbridge, Poole v Cambridge

21/4 Hemel v Chesham

TBA - Poole v Stourbridge

Number of matches against rivals:

Hemel - 6
Chesham - 5
St Albans - 3
Cambridge - 5
Stourbridge - 5
Bideford - 2
Poole - 6

St Albans appear to have it easiest, although today's result shows the dangers that lurk in the run-of-the-mill fixtures. Easter weekend could be big for Chesham, playing us and Hemel. None of the contenders are due to meet on the final day, and as luck would have it we are all playing. None of us is "playing Hinckley" that day.

2The Run-In Empty Re: The Run-In Wed Apr 09 2014, 13:37

TRM

We're in a battle for 3rd-7th places now with St Albans, Cambridge, Hungerford and Poole. So the fixtures for those clubs between now and the end of the season...

St Albans City

12/4 POOLE TOWN
19/4 Banbury United
21/4 BIGGLESWADE TOWN
26/4 Frome Town

Cambridge City

12/4 FROME TOWN
19/4 Poole Town
21/4 CORBY TOWN
26/4 Banbury United

Stourbridge

12/4 AFC TOTTON
19/4 Chesham United
21/4 BANBURY UNITED
26/4 Hitchin Town

Hungerford Town

10/4 POOLE TOWN
15/4 BASHLEY
17/4 CHIPPENHAM TOWN
19/4 HEMEL HEMPSTEAD TOWN
21/4 Chippenham Town
26/4 BIDEFORD

Poole Town

10/4 Hungerford Town
12/4 St Albans City
15/4 HITCHIN TOWN
17/4 CHESHAM UNITED
19/4 CAMBRIDGE CITY
21/4 BASHLEY
26/4 ARLESEY TOWN

A lot of home games for the two teams below us. Looking at Poole's run-in that's going to be very tough, four out of the next five (in the space of ten days) against teams above them in the table. Hungerford's fixtures, Hemel and maybe Poole apart, look like a walk in the park given their current form. I would have been happy with a draw tonight but a win for Poole would actually not be bad news.

Apart from maybe Poole, I don't think anybody has a really daunting run-in. It'll come down to who takes the points in the "big" clashes remaining, and who can avoid dropping points when they really shouldn't.

3The Run-In Empty Re: The Run-In Wed Apr 09 2014, 14:01

brockmoor

brockmoor

I don't see us catching St Albans now.

It looks like 2 from 4 for me. We ideally need Poole to beat Hungerford on Thursday. A draw may not be a bad result, but a Hungerford win would mean we are seriously up against it in my eyes.

I personally feel they will finish above us, with the final spot between Cambridge & Stourbridge. It could even go down to goal difference!

But hey, who knows.

Has anyone heard anything about Poole's ground grading status yet?

4The Run-In Empty Re: The Run-In Wed Apr 09 2014, 14:20

Devil's Advocate

brockmoor wrote:I don't see us catching St Albans now.

It looks like 2 from 4 for me. We ideally need Poole to beat Hungerford on Thursday. A draw may not be a bad result, but a Hungerford win would mean we are seriously up against it in my eyes.

I personally feel they will finish above us, with the final spot between Cambridge & Stourbridge. It could even go down to goal difference!

But hey, who knows.

Has anyone heard anything about Poole's ground grading status yet?

I hear they've made us an offer for the green fence.

We've decided to send it out on loan with a view to a permanent sale once it's proved itself at a club that actually requires it.

5The Run-In Empty Re: The Run-In Wed Apr 09 2014, 14:28

Jane.N

I agree with Brockmoor that it's between us and Cambridge. Nervy couple of weeks ahead. . . .

6The Run-In Empty Re: The Run-In Wed Apr 09 2014, 14:57

Devil's Advocate

Jane.N wrote:I agree with Brockmoor that it's between us and Cambridge. Nervy couple of weeks ahead. . .  .

"I agree with Brockmoor"

Theres a first,steady on Jane :-))

7The Run-In Empty Re: The Run-In Wed Apr 09 2014, 15:37

Jane.N

I don't know what you mean......;-) :-D

8The Run-In Empty Re: The Run-In Wed Apr 09 2014, 16:03

Not completely relevant I know, but could someone explain why all the fixtures on saturday are starting at 3:07pm instead of the usual 3pm scratch 

9The Run-In Empty Re: The Run-In Wed Apr 09 2014, 16:12

TRM

It's part of the national remembrance for the 25th anniversary of the Hillsborough Disaster. All PL, FL and Conf games are kicking off at 3.07 and the SL has askedall of its clubs to do the same.

10The Run-In Empty Re: The Run-In Wed Apr 09 2014, 16:19

Devil's Advocate

TRM wrote:It's part of the national remembrance for the 25th anniversary of the Hillsborough Disaster. All PL, FL and Conf games are kicking off at 3.07 and the SL has askedall of its clubs to do the same.

Even with 7 extra minutes Brockmoor will still turn up late no doubt :-))

11The Run-In Empty Re: The Run-In Wed Apr 09 2014, 22:32

Dave the Glassboy

Dave the Glassboy

I can understand Liverpool having this remembrance, possibly Nottingham Forest and Sheffield Wednesday as they were involved on the day as well. But lord alone knows why the rest of us have been dragged into it.

12The Run-In Empty Re: The Run-In Thu Apr 10 2014, 07:03

Tricky Tree

Tricky Tree

Dave the Glassboy wrote:I can understand Liverpool having this remembrance, possibly Nottingham Forest and Sheffield Wednesday as they were involved on the day as well. But lord alone knows why the rest of us have been dragged into it.

Typically Forest(being the other club involved) have a dinner time kick off!!
Well thought out sky.

13The Run-In Empty Re: The Run-In Thu Apr 10 2014, 07:07

Tricky Tree

Tricky Tree

Tricky Tree wrote:
Dave the Glassboy wrote:I can understand Liverpool having this remembrance, possibly Nottingham Forest and Sheffield Wednesday as they were involved on the day as well. But lord alone knows why the rest of us have been dragged into it.

Typically Forest(being the other club involved) have a dinner time kick off!!
Well thought out sky.

Even more ridiculous...... Liverpool have a half one kick off the following day..
Lunacy springs to mind.

14The Run-In Empty Re: The Run-In Sat Apr 12 2014, 12:35

Dave the Glassboy

Dave the Glassboy

Having lost at Hungerford on Thursday night I think Poole now have too much to do especially with games against St Albans, Chesham and Cambridge to come.

On the downside, Hungerford look on a roll at the moment.

Personally, I believe we need 4 wins out of 4 and even then we're likely to be relying on other results.

15The Run-In Empty The Run in Sat Apr 12 2014, 19:12

redpike

With Poole doing us a favour by winning today at St Albans, this coming week promises to be an all-defining one with Chesham at Poole on Thursday and then hosting us on Saturday. Let's hope that the Poole game tires Chesham out for next Saturday !!!

Gary is wrong to state in last night's E & S that, if we win all of our games, we are in the play-offs. It all depends on Hungerford who have a comparatively easy run-in except next Saturday's visit of Hemel.

With St Albans and Cambridge also having, on the face of it, easy final games, all we can do is win our 3 remaining games.

Fingers crossed !

16The Run-In Empty Re: The Run-In Sun Apr 13 2014, 10:14

Dave the Glassboy

Dave the Glassboy

Hungerford are at home to Bashley on Tuesday and Chippenham on Thursday. Even with the schedule, can't see them dropping a point in either game. Fingers crossed that they have an off-day!

Poole have home games with Hitchin and Chesham. Chesham will still have their eye on the title as if they win all of their last 4 games they will finish top (as one of those is at Hemel on Easter Monday)

And what a pair of fixtures next Saturday:
Chesham v Stourbridge & Hungerford v Hemel Hempstead - both games will impact on both the title race and the play-offs. The sort of thing Sky would kill for in the PL!

17The Run-In Empty Re: The Run-In Sun Apr 13 2014, 11:07

TRM

Realistically we are battling with three other clubs (maybe four if you include Poole still) for three spots. Looking at their fixtures, I would say that if we win all three games then somebody somewhere else will do us a favour and it will be enough.

If we do not win at Chesham then I can't see enough favours coming our way from the fixtures remaining. Hope I'm wrong but we look like outsiders to me simply based on that game at Chesham, and who the other teams have to play.

On the other hand, Chesham and Hungerford might be on superb runs of form but there is only one cast-iron certainty with that - it has to end some time!

18The Run-In Empty Re: The Run-In Tue Apr 15 2014, 21:25

Jack

Jack
Admin

2 goals in minute or so for Hungerford.

No doubt that they're deserving of their position, but I'm sorry but it really will make a mockery of the league if a team on crowds of just over 100 go up.  Rolling Eyes 

https://glassboys.forumotion.com

19The Run-In Empty Re: The Run-In Tue Apr 15 2014, 22:38

Devil's Advocate

Jack wrote:2 goals in  minute or so for Hungerford.

No doubt that they're deserving of their position, but I'm sorry but it really will make a mockery of the league if a team on crowds of just over 100 go up.  Rolling Eyes 

109 tonight due to the importance of the game!

Thankfully football status is not dictated purely by size of gate,not everyone can be based in the North and have the majority of their "support" sporting Midlands,Cockney and Welsh accents.

Their are a good number of sides below us in the pyramid who would make the same claim about their support potential compared to our's ( Weymouth at our level would certainly claim this moral high ground ) and we've all heard the derisory comment's from Farnborough,Salisbury and Nuneaton fan's in recent seasons regarding how poorly they rate our facilities.

It doesn't matter if Hungerford are playing in front of a crowd of three in my opinion,they've beaten us twice this season and quite comfortably in footballing terms and even if it is one man's "vanity project" and he's funding the adventure i wish them well,they beat us fair and square.

20The Run-In Empty Re: The Run-In Tue Apr 15 2014, 23:33

Dave the Glassboy

Dave the Glassboy

I agree with Devil. It matters not what their crowds are, if they get more points than us then they deserve to finish above us. "League tables don't lie" as the old cliché goes.

21The Run-In Empty Re: The Run-In Wed Apr 16 2014, 09:28

Jack

Jack
Admin

I clearly put they deserve to be where they are? My point was if they were to get promoted and go North, a team who's average crowd is 120 would face teams such as Alty, Stockport, Telford, possibly FC United. That would be laughable. I never once said that because they don't have fans they don't deserve to be there. Quite the opposite!

22The Run-In Empty Re: The Run-In Wed Apr 16 2014, 09:49

TRM

Jack wrote:I clearly put they deserve to be where they are? My point was if they were to get promoted and go North, a team who's average crowd is 120 would face teams such as Alty, Stockport, Telford, possibly FC United. That would be laughable. I never once said that because they don't have fans they don't deserve to be there. Quite the opposite!

Haven't checked it out thoroughly but they would almost certainly be South, for what it's worth. Hemel or Chesham would go North ahead of them.

23The Run-In Empty Re: The Run-In Wed Apr 16 2014, 10:02

Jack

Jack
Admin

Wasn't aware they were further South than the other 2! Though quite what a team on the London Underground network is doing potentially going into the Conference North is beyond me!

24The Run-In Empty Re: The Run-In Wed Apr 16 2014, 10:25

TRM

There is a misconception that North and South, as in Conference North and South, should actually mean North and South in geographical terms.

In reality they are made up of a pool of 44 clubs, the most northerly 22 of which are put in the "North" Division and the rest in the "South" Division.

In theory (this is VERY unlikely, I grant you, but bear with me), if the 22 most southerly clubs were Dover, Folkestone, Hastings, Whitehawk, Bognor, Gosport, Havant, Eastleigh, Totton, Bashley, Poole, Weymouth.... you get the picture... then clubs such as Basingstoke or Woking could end up in the "North."

The ideal is that over any given period of time the line between the two will fluctuate but will eventually always average out roughly somewhere probably just south of the West Midlands (I think a 50/50 population split would actually be even further south than that) - the current apparent imbalance is nothing that couldn't be sorted out with four Northern clubs being relegated from the Conference Premier and two Midlands clubs coming up from the SLP.

In reality the problem is that there are too many step 5 leagues in the south and not enough in the north (plus the Northern League hardly ever promotes anybody) so whilst step 4 annually relegates a relatively even geographical split of clubs down to step 5, in return it keeps getting more clubs from the south than the north. Hence the top of the pyramid is slowly getting more and more skewed towards the south.

Well, you did raise the subject...

25The Run-In Empty Re: The Run-In Wed Apr 16 2014, 11:27

Devil's Advocate

Jack wrote:I clearly put they deserve to be where they are? My point was if they were to get promoted and go North, a team who's average crowd is 120 would face teams such as Alty, Stockport, Telford, possibly FC United. That would be laughable. I never once said that because they don't have fans they don't deserve to be there. Quite the opposite!

Why is it "laughable",it's just the way it is!?

When FC United turn up at most other clubs there's a good chance they'll outnumber the home support ( if allowed ) and it's been like that in the Conference when Luton have visited teams like Alfreton and Hyde.

When Wimbledon made it from non league football in 1977 to being in the top division of the football league and winning the FA CUp v Liverpool in 1988 it was possibly the greatest "rags to riches" story in the history on English football,from playing Stourbridge to winning the FA Cup against one of the greatest club sides in the world in just 11 years,think about that Jack,to those of who witnessed it happen it was quite amazing.

Wimbledon had a rough support of around 7000 when they were a top side,all it mean't was more tickets for the away side so that teams like your lot could take 20,000 to Selhurst Park and still watch your side get beaten!

Nobody laughed at Wimbledon just because of the size of the club,they were more feared and respected than ridiculed.

North Ferriby get very poor home support yet they have a very proficient team to whom playing in front of paltry home support seem's to have no adverse affect whatever.

You have to admire teams like North Ferriby and Hungerford who get on with doing a very professional job and not worrying about the number of people cheering them on.

IF Hungerford are "bank rolled" by an individual then it's probable that they will fall back through the divisions in the future but for now i say good luck to them.

At Stour we have a reserve of money that would more or less allow us to "buy" our way to promotion and then be very competitive in Conference North but we choose not to do that which is fair enough BUT if someone takes over as owner of Stour and pumps vast amount's of money in i don't think we'll care very much if Grimsby,Cambridge,Wrexham,Lincoln et al are laughing at our ground and the size of our crowd's.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum