Stourbridge Football Club-Unofficial Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Stourbridge Football Club-Unofficial Forum

The latest views on the Glassboys

You are not connected. Please login or register

How Many Grounds...?

+16
Paranoid Android
NickSFCB
i'llgetmeamblecoat
StourLeedsMark
flexcavana
oldhillglassboy
Brian Handy
Nathan Gulliver
Aled
brockmoor
Devil's Advocate
Tricky Tree
stour_boy
Dave the Glassboy
Jack
TRM
20 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1How Many Grounds...? Empty How Many Grounds...? Mon Oct 28 2013, 10:01

TRM

...has everybody seen Stourbridge play at?

Workington on Saturday takes me up to 193. Seven new ones to come this season if I can make it to all of them - Mickleover, Histon (Cambridge), Bideford, Biggleswade, Truro, Poole, Burnham.

Maybe more in the Cup or Trophy, who knows...

I'd guess Smiler and one or two others on here might have done more than me. My Dad's well over the 300 mark, but he does go all the way back to 1876, I believe!

2How Many Grounds...? Empty Re: How Many Grounds...? Mon Oct 28 2013, 10:03

Jack

Jack
Admin

Not a clue. Have this year started taking a photo of every game to keep as a record. Really wish I did start taking note from the start.

https://glassboys.forumotion.com

3How Many Grounds...? Empty Re: How Many Grounds...? Mon Oct 28 2013, 10:12

Dave the Glassboy

Dave the Glassboy

Don't keep a separate record for Stour games so no idea off the top of my head, will have to go back over my records.

4How Many Grounds...? Empty Re: How Many Grounds...? Mon Oct 28 2013, 10:13

TRM

Count 'em up Jack! Wouldn't take long. Go through the League tables in the NLP. Don't forget to count old grounds that clubs have moved from - there are plenty of clubs on my list twice, like Dudley Town, Newport County, Hednesford Town, Grantham, where I've been to two different grounds. Corby I've got down three times, even if one of them at the moment was to see us play Kettering.

And don't forget to include Amblecote!

5How Many Grounds...? Empty Re: How Many Grounds...? Mon Oct 28 2013, 10:13

TRM

Dave the Glassboy wrote:Don't keep a separate record for Stour games so no idea off the top of my head, will have to go back over my records.
Please don't take this as a criticism, Dave, but I am genuinely astonished at that!

6How Many Grounds...? Empty Re: How Many Grounds...? Mon Oct 28 2013, 10:27

stour_boy

stour_boy

Good question. I think a quick flick through the league tables shows the following 36 grounds (I've a bit of catching up to do clearly!!)

Banbury United
Redditch United
Barton Rovers
Leighton Town
Merthyr Tydfil/Town
Stratford Town (new)
Yate Town
Evesham United (new)
Cirencester Town (a personal favourite)
Buxton
Rushall Olympic
Halesowen Town
Sutton Coldfield Town
Newcastle Town
Chasetown
Bedworth United
Boldmere St Michaels
Quorn
Alvechurch
Tipton Town
Stourport Swifts
Farnborough
Salisbury City
Leamington
Willenhall Town (Noose Lane)
Bromsgrove Rovers/Sporting
Oldbury United
Worcester City
Kidderminster Harriers (for WSC final v Worcester)
Rothwell Town
Oxford City
Burton Albion (for BSC final v Hednesford)
Hucknall Town
Brackley Town
Cradley Town
Bridgnorth Town

7How Many Grounds...? Empty Re: How Many Grounds...? Mon Oct 28 2013, 10:44

TRM

There are 8 on your list that I've not seen us play at, Stourboy!

8How Many Grounds...? Empty Re: How Many Grounds...? Mon Oct 28 2013, 11:25

Tricky Tree

Tricky Tree

This is obviously a thread for long serving Stour fans.Neutral 

9How Many Grounds...? Empty Re: How Many Grounds...? Mon Oct 28 2013, 11:32

TRM

Tricky Tree wrote:This is obviously a thread for long serving Stour fans.Neutral 
Nonsense, that wasn't the point. Tot 'em up and make it a challenge to add to the list!

Look at it this way - those of us with a long list have fewer available to add to it, so you'll soon catch up!

It actually never ceases to amaze me how many new grounds we do visit each season. With this being our sixth season in the same division you'd imagine there wouldn't be many new ones to do, but this season alone we'll have...

Biggleswade Town
Burnham
Poole Town
Hungerford Town
Histon (Cambridge City)
Workington
Mickleover Sports
Evesham United
Hinckley United (in theory anyway!)

10How Many Grounds...? Empty Re: How Many Grounds...? Mon Oct 28 2013, 11:34

Devil's Advocate

Tricky Tree wrote:This is obviously a thread for long serving Stour fans.Neutral 

Is it the "wrong time of the month" for you Tricky? :-]]

11How Many Grounds...? Empty Re: How Many Grounds...? Mon Oct 28 2013, 11:37

TRM

By the way, I could make my list longer by adding grounds like Barnet, Yeovil's old ground, Weymouth's old ground and others that I know I've been as a nipper to but just do not remember.

12How Many Grounds...? Empty Re: How Many Grounds...? Mon Oct 28 2013, 11:44

Devil's Advocate

TRM wrote:By the way, I could make my list longer by adding grounds like Barnet, Yeovil's old ground, Weymouth's old ground and others that I know I've been as a nipper to but just do not remember.
Oh go on TRM.....do it.......it'll annoy Tricky even more!

13How Many Grounds...? Empty Re: How Many Grounds...? Mon Oct 28 2013, 11:50

Tricky Tree

Tricky Tree

I'll change my tampon later.Mad 

14How Many Grounds...? Empty Re: How Many Grounds...? Mon Oct 28 2013, 11:52

TRM

Devil's Advocate wrote:
TRM wrote:By the way, I could make my list longer by adding grounds like Barnet, Yeovil's old ground, Weymouth's old ground and others that I know I've been as a nipper to but just do not remember.
I'm not sure I could do it accurately. I will have gone to all sorts of grounds as a wee toddler, but do you think if I asked my old man he's going to recall which ones he took me to and which ones he didn't?! Laughing 

I have the vaguest recollections of the ones I mentioned - such as turning up at Barnet on the supporters' coach and seeing that the players' coach had a TOILET. Ridiculous luxury back in those days!

15How Many Grounds...? Empty Re: How Many Grounds...? Mon Oct 28 2013, 12:21

Devil's Advocate

TRM wrote:
Devil's Advocate wrote:
I'm not sure I could do it accurately. I will have gone to all sorts of grounds as a wee toddler, but do you think if I asked my old man he's going to recall which ones he took me to and which ones he didn't?! Laughing 

I have the vaguest recollections of the ones I mentioned - such as turning up at Barnet on the supporters' coach and seeing that the players' coach had a TOILET. Ridiculous luxury back in those days!
Somebody photographed Workington's toilets on Saturday!

This could be the start of an entirely new competition on the forum.

I feel sorry for M6 Dave though,having to revisit almost 600 grounds because he failed to get a snap of their bog's first time around.

Lye's toilet's are pretty hideous from personal experience but i shouldn't be moaning about their's whilst our outdoor one's are so rank.

Last season one of the ancient bracket's holding up the cistern fell on my head as i pulled the chain and i immediately reported it to Andy P yet months later it hasn't been replaced and the cistern could fall off at any moment doing someone a nasty injury.

Be sure to keep a close eye on it next time you're in there.

16How Many Grounds...? Empty Re: How Many Grounds...? Mon Oct 28 2013, 12:38

Jack

Jack
Admin

Mom and I sat together, and have worked it out and actually TRM it took ages! Very Happy 

Started going away Easter 2005 not going to list all the club's as no point! Although we may have missed a few, we estimate we have done 71

While being:
Southern Premier-34
Southern Central-15
MFA-2
Cups-13
Friendlies-7

To clarify, obviously some overlap into different leagues due to promotion etc. As well as facing them in Cups as well.

https://glassboys.forumotion.com

17How Many Grounds...? Empty Re: How Many Grounds...? Mon Oct 28 2013, 12:59

brockmoor

brockmoor

Havent a clue how many away grounds I've been to following Stourbridge, but all in all Workington was my 303rd ground overall.
At one stage i had visited every Football League ground except Colchester's 'Layer Road''. By the time i managed it there were a number of new grounds, and new 'non league' teams that had reached the Football League.

18How Many Grounds...? Empty Re: How Many Grounds...? Mon Oct 28 2013, 13:44

TRM

Once upon a time I intended to do the 92 bit-by-bit, but nowadays I couldn't be bothered if I never set foot in another League ground (unless it was with Stour).

Of the current 92, I've been to 23 (22 if you are being strict as my visit to "Wimbledon" was for a Kingstonian home game many years before AFC moved in there). Several were not for matches involving the club itself - eg Peterborough was for the FA Sunday Cup Final when Olympic Star won it.

Plus Rochdale and Bury for Rugby League matches.

I had got up to about 30 at one time but a few have gone now - Maine Road, The Dell, The Baseball Ground, The County Ground(Northampton), The Manor Ground, Gay Meadow and one or two others. Plus the likes of Kiddy and Rushden & Diamonds dropped out of the League.

19How Many Grounds...? Empty Re: How Many Grounds...? Mon Oct 28 2013, 13:57

Aled

Not got the faintest idea, and have no intention of even attempting finding out cheers 

20How Many Grounds...? Empty Re: How Many Grounds...? Mon Oct 28 2013, 13:58

TRM

Aled wrote:Not got the faintest idea, and have no intention of even attempting finding out cheers 
Go on, you know you're curious...

21How Many Grounds...? Empty Re: How Many Grounds...? Mon Oct 28 2013, 14:02

Tricky Tree

Tricky Tree

That's a "curiosity" that shouldn't be aired on this forum unless you go to the Nathan Gulliver thread.Wink 

22How Many Grounds...? Empty Re: How Many Grounds...? Mon Oct 28 2013, 15:38

Nathan Gulliver

Up until 2004/05 season,I had done 76 out of the 92 league grounds just with the Albion. That was the upside of watching them home and away in 3 divisions. Since then I haven't kept count but having watched Stour away in 3 divisions and friendlies and cups,my overall total will be close to 200 i'd guess. If I can get hold of a copy of the NLP I shall have a count up this afternoon!

23How Many Grounds...? Empty Re: How Many Grounds...? Mon Oct 28 2013, 16:58

Brian Handy

I reckon I have seen Stour play on 144 different grounds.

24How Many Grounds...? Empty Re: How Many Grounds...? Mon Oct 28 2013, 17:25

I've never really kept count, but all I can say is that I don't travel away as much as I used to in the past.

You could say that I've become a part-timer, when it comes to away games Wink

As for football league grounds the number is 4 I think, and they are: Wolves, Walsall, Plymouth & Barnsley. Of course I've also been to that dump in London called Wembley Stadium, but I was there in the 80's for the Sherpa Van Trophy Final when it was a decent place unlike the modern impersonation of a multi-story car park Mad 

25How Many Grounds...? Empty Re: How Many Grounds...? Mon Oct 28 2013, 20:53

oldhillglassboy

I've been meaning to do more away matches but never seem to get round to it, at the moment my list just includes Tipton, Lye, Halesowen, Redditch, Rushall, Kiddy (v Worcester) and on a different scale Plymouth and Workington! Hope to add another one this Saturday.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum