Stourbridge Football Club-Unofficial Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Stourbridge Football Club-Unofficial Forum

The latest views on the Glassboys

You are not connected. Please login or register

First Round Proper draw

+12
Nathan Gulliver
Jane.N
Jack
i'llgetmeamblecoat
brockmoor
Forza
oldhillglassboy
Dave the Glassboy
Devil's Advocate
TRM
dave w
stour_boy
16 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

26First Round Proper draw - Page 2 Empty Re: First Round Proper draw Sun Oct 27 2013, 16:01

oldhillglassboy

Not glamorous but i'll settle for that, not many balls left and kiddy/wolves/hednesford/plymouth still hadn't been drawn and i was sweating a bit! and I watched it two hours late having been out, recorded it and switched my phone off, wanted to feel the tension of the draw and I did!

I would expect a very healthy crowd despite the opposition, being the first round proper, let's hope the cycle continues, first round proper, two year gap, second round proper, two year gap, third?, but we have to beat Biggleswade first, so trying not to look further than that but it's difficult!

27First Round Proper draw - Page 2 Empty Re: First Round Proper draw Sun Oct 27 2013, 19:06

Nathan Gulliver

Great draw. Watching the draw with the staff and players in the pub,it was evident that everyone was delighted. A huge cheer went up when we were drawn at home and an even bigger one when Biggleswade came out!

Logistically it is also a perfect draw as it will take minimal planning,not having to stray too far from our usual match day preparations. I believe we will be issuing tickets,as much to solve the issue over priority for 2nd round tickets (should we get there) than anything else.

28First Round Proper draw - Page 2 Empty Re: First Round Proper draw Sun Oct 27 2013, 19:22

Devil's Advocate

Nathan Gulliver wrote:Great draw. Watching the draw with the staff and players in the pub,it was evident that everyone was delighted. A huge cheer went up when we were drawn at home and an even bigger one when Biggleswade came out!

Logistically it is also a perfect draw as it will take minimal planning,not having to stray too far from our usual match day preparations. I believe we will be issuing tickets,as much to solve the issue over priority for 2nd round tickets (should we get there) than anything else.
I suggested this idea to Andy P earlier today.

Issuing a voucher on the day to everyone who attends will surely increase the gate,the certainty of a second round ticket ( should we win ) OR,being given priority for an away ticket for a second round tie should be enough to ensure we get close to a capacity crowd with no additional stands put up.

There can then be no complaint from people who moan because they can't get a ticket should be draw Wolves etc in the next round.

Personally i would allow only one guaranteed next round ticket for each person who attends plus one per season ticket holder.

I'm sure some will not agree with my next thought but personally i would not object if the admission price was put up to £15 for adults.

I hope the club cover every possible angle from the commercial side to maximise earnings including additional food vans like last time AND that we look to do something more exciting and inventive with the raffle prizes.

The offer of Nathan to work as a naked butler for the day as first prize should see the ladies forming a queue up and around the ring road to purchase multiple tickets.

29First Round Proper draw - Page 2 Empty Re: First Round Proper draw Sun Oct 27 2013, 19:53

Nathan Gulliver

We didn't do a raffle for our 3 previous games in the FA Cup proper due to having both turnstile blocks open and due to the increased numbers. It would be impossible to get the attention of that volume of fans entering the ground. Granted,we could get an extra seller I suppose. Another issue with the raffle on occasions like this is that us volunteers always have extra duties to carry out,for example,I was on the club door for the Plymouth and Stevenage games as the club was set aside for the corporate guests and sponsors,etc. Maybe we should look at offering corporate packages again,afterall it IS the 1st Round of the FA Cup,regardless of the fact that the opposition isn't exactly glamourous! We should still try and attract extra sponsorship for the game.

If we issue tickets,we wouldn't need vouchers. The ticket stubs from the Biggleswade game will be sufficient. I agree with DA, we should issue the tickets on a one per stub/voucher holder. Maybe we should allocate 2 tickets per season ticket holder and club members. This could also be very useful in selling club membership packages,good opportunity to maximise potential revenue there I think!

30First Round Proper draw - Page 2 Empty Re: First Round Proper draw Sun Oct 27 2013, 20:10

stour_boy

stour_boy

The difficulty the club has is estimating what the crowd will be for this game. Not a game to capture the imagination a la Walsall or Plymouth obviously, but still its the first round proper after all. It could be anything from 800 to 2300 though :/ almost impossible to plan to perfection in terms of facilities, programme numbers, vouchers for the next round etc.

31First Round Proper draw - Page 2 Empty Re: First Round Proper draw Sun Oct 27 2013, 20:14

brockmoor

brockmoor

Well it wont be 2300 when the capacity is 1500-1600! Laughing 

32First Round Proper draw - Page 2 Empty Re: First Round Proper draw Sun Oct 27 2013, 20:16

stour_boy

stour_boy

brockmoor wrote:Well it wont be 2300 when the capacity is 1500-1600! Laughing 
Very true, getting ahead of myself here :p

33First Round Proper draw - Page 2 Empty Re: First Round Proper draw Sun Oct 27 2013, 20:47

dave w

Will there be any extra restrictions as it's the first round proper - segregation, bar closed, that sort of thing?

34First Round Proper draw - Page 2 Empty Re: First Round Proper draw Sun Oct 27 2013, 20:50

brockmoor

brockmoor

dave w wrote:Will there be any extra restrictions as it's the first round proper - segregation, bar closed, that sort of thing?
Its Biggleswade Dave, not Barcelona! Very Happy 

35First Round Proper draw - Page 2 Empty Re: First Round Proper draw Sun Oct 27 2013, 21:03

dave w

brockmoor wrote:
dave w wrote:Will there be any extra restrictions as it's the first round proper - segregation, bar closed, that sort of thing?
Its Biggleswade Dave, not Barcelona! Very Happy 
Whoever we play it's still the FA Cup proper, and as such extra regulations might come into play. I don't know, which is why I asked.

36First Round Proper draw - Page 2 Empty Re: First Round Proper draw Sun Oct 27 2013, 21:07

Nathan Gulliver

I imagine it will be the usual FA competition rules regarding the bar,plastic glasses,no drinking in view of the pitch,etc. The bar may well be closed though if the club decide to put on corporate packages or entertain sponsors.

37First Round Proper draw - Page 2 Empty Re: First Round Proper draw Sun Oct 27 2013, 21:11

TRM

Devil's Advocate wrote:It's 112 miles to Biggleswade by the way :-]]
Henceforth known as "Half a Workington".

38First Round Proper draw - Page 2 Empty Re: First Round Proper draw Sun Oct 27 2013, 21:18

TRM

Tickets/Vouchers are a must in terms of priority for tickets for a possible next round tie, but you have to be a bit careful. Say we sell 1,275 tickets (a figure somebody else mentioned, for the sake of argument) to Stour supporters. We may then be drawn away to a club that would not give us that many tickets - another NL club, say, or a League club with a smallish visitors capacity. There may not be any League clubs with visitors accommodation below 1,275, I grant you.

All I'm saying is we just need to think it through before we decide on how it will work.

39First Round Proper draw - Page 2 Empty Re: First Round Proper draw Sun Oct 27 2013, 21:29

Devil's Advocate

TRM wrote:Tickets/Vouchers are a must in terms of priority for tickets for a possible next round tie, but you have to be a bit careful. Say we sell 1,275 tickets (a figure somebody else mentioned, for the sake of argument) to Stour supporters. We may then be drawn away to a club that would not give us that many tickets - another NL club, say, or a League club with a smallish visitors capacity. There may not be any League clubs with visitors accommodation below 1,275, I grant you.

All I'm saying is we just need to think it through before we decide on how it will work.
I agree with that last bit TRM,i had thought about that earlier when i posted on the subject.

I certainly think that all those that travelled to Workington deserve a ticket for any away tie IF they turn up for the Biggleswade tie and all season ticket holders.

I think most of us could vouch for those who went to Workington who haven't kept their ticket stub,it wouldn't be overly difficult to put together a list of those travellers in advance and indeed to 80 who travelled by "Suspect" coaches are probably on file.

We took 800+ to Plymouth and it's fair to say that only ties at Wolves,Coventry/Northampton,Walsall,Shrewsbury and Kiddie would see us require more tickets and all of those clubs should be able to cope with a minimum of 1200 away fans.

I just don't think we should be allowing any voucher to guarantee two tickets for a future home match in the cup,that really is bad commercial practice,one per voucher holder will increase the BGW ( I refuse to write Biggleswade anymore! ) gate in my opinion.

40First Round Proper draw - Page 2 Empty Re: First Round Proper draw Sun Oct 27 2013, 21:29

brockmoor

brockmoor

TRM wrote:Tickets/Vouchers are a must in terms of priority for tickets for a possible next round tie, but you have to be a bit careful. Say we sell 1,275 tickets (a figure somebody else mentioned, for the sake of argument) to Stour supporters. We may then be drawn away to a club that would not give us that many tickets - another NL club, say, or a League club with a smallish visitors capacity. There may not be any League clubs with visitors accommodation below 1,275, I grant you.

I think the voucher per person is fine. If we do get through to the second round and get a small allocation that TRM mentioned, we should give all season ticket holders one ticket, then any spares should go to voucher holders.

We probably have one of the smallest capacity's (without seats) in the competition, Biggleswade's capacity is 3'000 which would mean we would be entitled 450 in any potential replay.

Either way lets not worry about that now.

Last edited by brockmoor on Sun Oct 27 2013, 21:34; edited 1 time in total

41First Round Proper draw - Page 2 Empty Re: First Round Proper draw Sun Oct 27 2013, 21:31

Devil's Advocate

brockmoor wrote:

I think the voucher per person is fine. If we do get through to the second round and get a small allocation that TRM mentioned, we should give all season ticket holders one ticket, then any spares should go to voucher holders.

We probably have one of the smallest capacity's (without seats) in the competition, Biggleswade's capacity is 3'000 which would mean we would be entitled 450 in any potential replay.

Either way lets not worry about now.
No,please let's worry now........i'm unhappy when i have nothing to worry about!

42First Round Proper draw - Page 2 Empty Re: First Round Proper draw Sun Oct 27 2013, 21:37

TRM

Fairly certain that any replay would be 10 days after the first game, ie Tuesday 19th November. That would mean travelling down to Biggleswade on two successive Tuesday nights, as we are there on Tuesday 26th November in the League.

Not only that, but we are at Bideford on the Saturday in between.

43First Round Proper draw - Page 2 Empty Re: First Round Proper draw Sun Oct 27 2013, 21:44

Nathan Gulliver

It was only season ticket holders and club members that I suggested could be allocated 2 tickets. There surely has to be some incentive to attract people into buying a season ticket or membership. If you remember,we sold a large number of half season tickets on the back of our last cup run,with people purchasing them to guarantee them cup tickets. The same could happen this year and we could find ourselves selling large numbers of £20 memberships too.

44First Round Proper draw - Page 2 Empty Re: First Round Proper draw Mon Oct 28 2013, 16:13

TRM

For what it's worth, ITV have overlooked us for their live match and will be showing Bishop's Stortford v Northampton Town instead.

Don't think we can feel too hard-done-by!

45First Round Proper draw - Page 2 Empty Re: First Round Proper draw Mon Oct 28 2013, 16:39

Nathan Gulliver

TRM wrote:For what it's worth, ITV have overlooked us for their live match and will be showing Bishop's Stortford v Northampton Town instead.

Strange choice of match to televise even so! I know Northampton Town are struggling and ITV can probably sniff an upset but would it really be that much of one? It was different with our game against Plymouth,yes they were struggling too,in similar position to Northampton,but Plymouth are a club of far greater stature and us beating them was a far greater story for the media than it will be if Bishop's Stortford beat Northampton.

46First Round Proper draw - Page 2 Empty Re: First Round Proper draw Mon Oct 28 2013, 17:50

Devil's Advocate wrote: I think most of us could vouch for those who went to Workington who haven't kept their ticket stub
Yes just listen out for the coughs & sneezes Laughing 

Totally agree with giving out a voucher to those who turn up. But my only concern is will people look who we are playing and not bother to turn up, after all it's already been said that Biggleswade are not a glamour tie. And I'm worried that it might put people off, regardless of it being the 1st round of the FA Cup.

47First Round Proper draw - Page 2 Empty Re: First Round Proper draw Mon Oct 28 2013, 22:30

Dave the Glassboy

Dave the Glassboy

Nathan Gulliver wrote:
TRM wrote:For what it's worth, ITV have overlooked us for their live match and will be showing Bishop's Stortford v Northampton Town instead.

Strange choice of match to televise even so! I know Northampton Town are struggling and ITV can probably sniff an upset but would it really be that much of one? It was different with our game against Plymouth,yes they were struggling too,in similar position to Northampton,but Plymouth are a club of far greater stature and us beating them was a far greater story for the media than it will be if Bishop's Stortford beat Northampton.
There's a two-division gap between Stortford and Northampton so yes, I'd definitely call it an upset if the home side win.

48First Round Proper draw - Page 2 Empty Re: First Round Proper draw Mon Oct 28 2013, 22:58

flexcavana

Well, 1st round again! Had a sneaky suspicion this may happen. My eldest was born in the 2009/10 season, first born = first round! Then my second child was born in the 11/12 season - you guessed it second child, second round! Now here's the exciting bit! Our twins, numbers 3 and 4 were born at the begining of this season so I'm hoping that this means we are destined for rounds three and four! Well if we don't at least I've done my bit to keep average attendances on the up!

49First Round Proper draw - Page 2 Empty Re: First Round Proper draw Mon Oct 28 2013, 23:59

PhilC

Congrats flex - I don't envy you though! Smile 

50First Round Proper draw - Page 2 Empty Re: First Round Proper draw Tue Oct 29 2013, 08:57

NickSFCB

Very happy with the draw, a team in our league at home. Cant complain at that, gives us a huge chance of progressing and continuin to make history. Well done lads.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum