Stourbridge Football Club-Unofficial Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Stourbridge Football Club-Unofficial Forum

The latest views on the Glassboys

You are not connected. Please login or register

FA Cup 4th Qualifying round draw.

+13
stoursi
Brian Handy
baz
Stourbridge Lion
Paranoid Android
Tricky Tree
TRM
brockmoor
PhilC
stour_boy
Dave the Glassboy
dave w
Devil's Advocate
17 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 4]

51FA Cup 4th Qualifying round draw. - Page 3 Empty Re: FA Cup 4th Qualifying round draw. Mon Oct 14 2013, 14:16

TRM

Jack wrote:The idea of free coach travel is great. How much would it cost the club though?
Free travel is too much to ask, but I would hope it would be pegged at a cheapish figure. I don't know what the hire costs would be for the day, but it would be good if the club took the view that they just wanted to cover their costs and no more.

52FA Cup 4th Qualifying round draw. - Page 3 Empty Re: FA Cup 4th Qualifying round draw. Mon Oct 14 2013, 14:45

dave w

Devil's Advocate wrote:Spookily i was watching a YouTube video last night of Workington's last ever home Football League match in 1977,i had a strange feeling we might get them.

As a kid i always felt sorry for them being stuck at the bottom of the league nearly every season and having to be voted to stay in at the end of the campaign,in a perverse way it's a ground i've always wanted to visit.

I think we've got a very good chance of winning but i hope we travel up on the Friday or the players will be as stiff as boards by the time they get off the coach!
When Barrow got voted out they knew they'd be next because they were so remote from everywhere else.

53FA Cup 4th Qualifying round draw. - Page 3 Empty Re: FA Cup 4th Qualifying round draw. Mon Oct 14 2013, 15:27

Tricky Tree

Tricky Tree

I thought because it was FA cup we got our money back on the cost of the coach....if that's the case then they could very well offer free travel.
Didn't Curzon put on free coach travel??

54FA Cup 4th Qualifying round draw. - Page 3 Empty Re: FA Cup 4th Qualifying round draw. Mon Oct 14 2013, 16:33

TRM

Tricky Tree wrote:I thought because it was FA cup we got our money back on the cost of the coach....if that's the case then they could very well offer free travel.
Didn't Curzon put on free coach travel??
The travel expenses come out of the proceeds from the game before they are divvied up between the FA and the two clubs, as I understand it.

But that only applies to the team coach, not to any additional busloads of supporters!

There are rules governing how far the journey has to be before you can claim for overnight accommodation but I'm afraid I don't know what they are. Has to be a certain distance or travelling time, I assume. Not sure if this would meet the criteria.

I assume Curzon put on free travel on the players' coach, which would have come out of the proceeds of the game. I don't think they brought a separate supporters' coach.

55FA Cup 4th Qualifying round draw. - Page 3 Empty Re: FA Cup 4th Qualifying round draw. Mon Oct 14 2013, 16:38

TRM

Notice Kiddy are away at Bradford Park Avenue. This is the same day that Wolves are at Bradford City. One of them will probably be switched to Sunday - Kiddy's match I would assume.

56FA Cup 4th Qualifying round draw. - Page 3 Empty Re: FA Cup 4th Qualifying round draw. Mon Oct 14 2013, 18:09

Dave the Glassboy

Dave the Glassboy

stour_boy wrote:The coach isn't really my thing; don't particularly like waiting for a few hours after the game for the players especially given the distance involved for this game.
45 minutes normally.

57FA Cup 4th Qualifying round draw. - Page 3 Empty Re: FA Cup 4th Qualifying round draw. Mon Oct 14 2013, 18:27

baz

Hope we dont sent a scout up! Guess they will ask macca as he played their few week ago?

58FA Cup 4th Qualifying round draw. - Page 3 Empty Re: FA Cup 4th Qualifying round draw. Mon Oct 14 2013, 19:51

TRM

baz wrote:What a bunch of plonkers Andy H and Bruce are! Was listening on Talksport half asleep after night shift and thought i heard Workington away and then had text saying southport at home!!!
There were tweets flying around (not from Stour sources) suggesting we'd got Southport at home. Southport were next out of the "hat" after us, and I must admit it got very confusing listening on the radio as they didn't make it particularly clear what the pairings were. It was almost just call the number, read the team name and give us a few silly facts on the club, then move onto the next one. There was no "will play..." to help you out. Can see how some got confused.

59FA Cup 4th Qualifying round draw. - Page 3 Empty Re: FA Cup 4th Qualifying round draw. Mon Oct 14 2013, 19:52

TRM

stoursi wrote:Is that not the furthest away match we could have got.

Surely the distance will put the part time supporters?????
Gateshead, West Auckland and Marske possibly further - but if so then not by much! I agree it will put some off, so all the more reason for the coach fare to be "reasonable".

60FA Cup 4th Qualifying round draw. - Page 3 Empty Re: FA Cup 4th Qualifying round draw. Mon Oct 14 2013, 20:02

oldhillglassboy

An interesting trek! my first thoughts conjured up images of a rainy, wind swept decaying port area with big strapping players! but their a team propping up the league above, we could have drawn a top half conference side and although this will be tough, is winnable. I'd probably take a draw and get them back to Amblecote, a long midweek trip.

Assume the players and officials will be going the night before,would hope at least one supporters coach will run, will be there one way or another.

61FA Cup 4th Qualifying round draw. - Page 3 Empty Re: FA Cup 4th Qualifying round draw. Mon Oct 14 2013, 20:26

baz

I was half asleep after night shift and i heard it loud and clear was Workington! Poor Admin!Wink 

62FA Cup 4th Qualifying round draw. - Page 3 Empty Re: FA Cup 4th Qualifying round draw. Tue Oct 15 2013, 18:21

Nathan Gulliver

TRM wrote:
Jack wrote:Quick look at the Workington forum. They seem quite confident. Me thinks they might well be in for a surprise....
I would be confident if I were them. We are a lower division club, albeit we are doing rather well and they... erm... aren't (at the moment). They will be favourites and rightly so.

However, on the day that means nothing. We can win this and we should go with that approach.

(as if we would go with any other approach!)
I'm happy with the draw for a number of reasons
1) New ground
2) Great day out (or weekend away)
3) Guaranteed 1000+ gate (handy for our share)
4) IT'S WINNABLE!

63FA Cup 4th Qualifying round draw. - Page 3 Empty Re: FA Cup 4th Qualifying round draw. Tue Oct 15 2013, 18:26

workington

(as if we would go with any other approach!)[/quote]I'm happy with the draw for a number of reasons
1) New ground
4) IT'S WINNABLE![/quote]
guaranteed 1000+ ? unless you've been on a dodgy website I cannot see it unless you bring 500+..been averaging around 370 this season

Hope your trip down is safe and hope to see you all there.

64FA Cup 4th Qualifying round draw. - Page 3 Empty Re: FA Cup 4th Qualifying round draw. Tue Oct 15 2013, 18:37

Tricky Tree

Tricky Tree

Or trip up even......

65FA Cup 4th Qualifying round draw. - Page 3 Empty Re: FA Cup 4th Qualifying round draw. Tue Oct 15 2013, 19:16

TRM

Nathan Gulliver wrote:
TRM wrote:
Jack wrote:Quick look at the Workington forum. They seem quite confident. Me thinks they might well be in for a surprise....
I would be confident if I were them. We are a lower division club, albeit we are doing rather well and they... erm... aren't (at the moment). They will be favourites and rightly so.

However, on the day that means nothing. We can win this and we should go with that approach.

1) New ground
4) IT'S WINNABLE!
Don't think there will be 1,000. Workington's crowds are lower than ours on average and with all due respect they are not setting the World on fire. One the other hand, maybe all the more reason for the locals to latch onto this game as perhaps their only chance of something to shout about.

By the way Nathan, have you seen the women up there...? Shocked 

66FA Cup 4th Qualifying round draw. - Page 3 Empty Re: FA Cup 4th Qualifying round draw. Tue Oct 15 2013, 19:24

Tricky Tree

Tricky Tree

Nath has only been posting a couple of hours and already a theme is developing in response.....Very Happy 
Another little spelling error from TRM.
Standards are slipping.

67FA Cup 4th Qualifying round draw. - Page 3 Empty Re: FA Cup 4th Qualifying round draw. Tue Oct 15 2013, 22:25

TRM wrote:By the way Nathan, have you seen the women up there...? Shocked 
I know a woman that lives near there in Aspatria, but she did move from Birmingham in 2006. Not sure if being an ex-brummie makes any difference lol! 

68FA Cup 4th Qualifying round draw. - Page 3 Empty Re: FA Cup 4th Qualifying round draw. Wed Oct 16 2013, 10:00

stour_boy

stour_boy

Would be amazed if there was 600 there to be fair. Not a tie to inspire the Cumbria locals into turning up.

Hoping for a bore 0-0 or something (or 1-1 with a Geddes pen) and to bring them back to Amblecote.

69FA Cup 4th Qualifying round draw. - Page 3 Empty Re: FA Cup 4th Qualifying round draw. Wed Oct 16 2013, 15:36

Nathan Gulliver

TRM wrote:
Nathan Gulliver wrote:
TRM wrote:

1) New ground
4) IT'S WINNABLE!
Don't think there will be 1,000. Workington's crowds are lower than ours on average and with all due respect they are not setting the World on fire. One the other hand, maybe all the more reason for the locals to latch onto this game as perhaps their only chance of something to shout about.

By the way Nathan, have you seen the women up there...? Shocked 
I can imagine tattoos,beer bellies,vest tops,jogging bottoms and big hoopy earrings!

70FA Cup 4th Qualifying round draw. - Page 3 Empty Re: FA Cup 4th Qualifying round draw. Wed Oct 16 2013, 17:51

Devil's Advocate

Right up your street then Nath :-]]

Whats the difference between a Walruss and a bird from Workington?

One is big and fat and smells of fish.......and the other is a Walrus!

71FA Cup 4th Qualifying round draw. - Page 3 Empty Re: FA Cup 4th Qualifying round draw. Wed Oct 16 2013, 17:56

TRM

I can see us not getting a particularly warm welcome at this rate!

72FA Cup 4th Qualifying round draw. - Page 3 Empty Re: FA Cup 4th Qualifying round draw. Wed Oct 16 2013, 18:01

Devil's Advocate

TRM wrote:I can see us not getting a particularly warm welcome at this rate!

I'm sure they've got big,wide shoulder's up there and can take it.

As for the men.......!!?

73FA Cup 4th Qualifying round draw. - Page 3 Empty Re: FA Cup 4th Qualifying round draw. Wed Oct 16 2013, 18:24

Jack

Jack
Admin

I get the impression Workington is Ermm 'grim'?

https://glassboys.forumotion.com

74FA Cup 4th Qualifying round draw. - Page 3 Empty Re: FA Cup 4th Qualifying round draw. Wed Oct 16 2013, 18:31

TRM

I went there about 20 years ago to see Featherstone Rovers play at Workington Town (Rugby League - the rugby ground/speedway stadium is almost over the road from the football ground). Can't say my memories are all that vivid, and it was a Sunday afternoon, but it didn't seem especially vibrant. Of course, it may have changed a lot since then...

75FA Cup 4th Qualifying round draw. - Page 3 Empty Re: FA Cup 4th Qualifying round draw. Wed Oct 16 2013, 19:19

dave w

Not counting Bradford PA and Chester as they're different clubs, have we ever played a former league team before?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum