Stourbridge Football Club-Unofficial Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Stourbridge Football Club-Unofficial Forum

The latest views on the Glassboys

You are not connected. Please login or register

Am I the only one?

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Am I the only one? Empty Am I the only one? Mon Aug 26 2013, 09:48

Jack

Jack
Admin

Who is really positive about the way the season has started? We've played 3 games, and got 6 points, without playing well at all, and in the other game the ref had a mare. Granted, I wasn't at the Chesham game, but by all accounts we didn't play well at all and we still ran a team that will be up there close. We won't play this badly all season, we've got too many top players at this level. For me, this is the strongest squad I've ever seen at Stour, we've got a completely different Luke Benbow to the one we had this time last year, we have got Rowey back. He isn't playing well, no, but we all know how good he can be at this level. Losing Macca was big, and I don't think we've replaced him, but I don't think that is anything to do with Gary not trying, it's simply there aren't better defenders that we can afford out there, now if that means we end up with an ok CB instead of a top one due to us not spending stupid money, that's fine. We'll be up there. We have too many match winners in our squad not too.

I just felt like this place was a little doom and gloom. It's only August, no one has really set the league alight and we'll come good! Besides it's my birthday in 3 days and I got into King Eds! You should be all merry! Very Happy

https://glassboys.forumotion.com

2Am I the only one? Empty Re: Am I the only one? Mon Aug 26 2013, 11:35

Brian Handy

Double Congratulations ! I'm retired so I am always happy!

I agree that it is difficult to argue that 2 wins out of 3 is a bad start. But it's a bit like the start to last season, we are playing ok in patches but seem a bit disjointed and disorganised at times. I will be happier when ;
1) we get a settled back four, Jamie Oliver available will help but we need to decide on Nathans partner in the centre
2) a winger that can take on and beat the full back , Wurzel (and latter Rocky) could be the answer.
3) Luke & Ryan start to combine better and get goals flowing. This I am certain will happen in time , hopefully soon.

But you are right its too soon to be pesimistic, lets help lift the teams performance by getting right behind them this afternoon from the KO.

3Am I the only one? Empty Re: Am I the only one? Mon Aug 26 2013, 11:47

TRM

Not seen any of the games so far - looking forward to today! But purely on a statistical basis five goals conceded in three games will not get us into the play-offs, let alone win the League. Looking at it "on paper" so far that's the area that will let us down, if any, because as Jack says, we will score goals with the midfield and forwards we have.

I can see this being a very inconsistent season again for a lot of clubs. There will be some daft results (Leamington 0-6 Barwell, for instance) and every team will have the odd "shocker" along the way. The Championship will not go to the most consistent team, but to be the least inconsistent one, if that makes sense! The team that can cut out the halves or matches like the first half on Saturday appears to have been.

4Am I the only one? Empty Re: Am I the only one? Mon Aug 26 2013, 13:48

stour_boy

stour_boy

Agree with the above. The line-up isn't our first choice at the moment and whilst Saturday was very poor, I'm confident we will bounce back. Getting Jamie into the back 4 will help as Aaron just doesn't look comfortable there.

I'm more concerned about the midfield to be honest; I think it is just below par performances so far rather than the actual players, since it has barely changed since last season. We need a winger like Ben who can beat players but on both flanks ideally.

Anyway, I can't make today so good luck to the lads. As Jack says, Saturday was dreadful for much of the game but we still came out of it with just a narrow defeat.

Onwards and upwards to today and Saturday; hopefully at least 4 points out of the two games, although we never do that well down at Bedford.

5Am I the only one? Empty Re: Am I the only one? Mon Aug 26 2013, 18:06

Devil's Advocate

stour_boy wrote:Agree with the above. The line-up isn't our first choice at the moment and whilst Saturday was very poor, I'm confident we will bounce back. Getting Jamie into the back 4 will help as Aaron just doesn't look comfortable there.

I'm more concerned about the midfield to be honest; I think it is just below par performances so far rather than the actual players, since it has barely changed since last season. We need a winger like Ben who can beat players but on both flanks ideally.

Anyway, I can't make today so good luck to the lads. As Jack says, Saturday was dreadful for much of the game but we still came out of it with just a narrow defeat.

Onwards and upwards to today and Saturday; hopefully at least 4 points out of the two games, although we never do that well down at Bedford.
"Onwards and upwards to today and Saturday; hopefully at least 4 points out of the two games, although we never do that well down at Bedford"

If we play like we did for the final hour today we'll destroy Beford on Saturday.

6Am I the only one? Empty Re: Am I the only one? Tue Aug 27 2013, 14:02

TRM

Brian Handy wrote:I will be happier when ;
1) we get a settled back four, Jamie Oliver available will help but we need to decide on Nathans partner in the centre
2) a winger that can take on and beat the full back , Wurzel (and latter Rocky) could be the answer.
3) Luke & Ryan start to combine better and get goals flowing. This I am certain will happen in time , hopefully soon.
Soon enough for you, Brian? Very Happy 

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum